Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: New Rims for the Kappa  (Read 5427 times)

Offline Johnny_gxp

• Quick Shifter
  • Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
New Rims for the Kappa
« on: November 18, 2013, 12:35:35 PM »
Hey guys,
 I was just surfing the web and stumbled across some rims that Cobalt SS owners love. And knowing that our lug pattern is the same I was curious to see if anybody has put them on our Kappas before and how do they look and feel? I would save exactly 6 pounds on each rim, (24 Lbs total!!!) and I feel like that would be a significant difference in acceleration and handling.
Enkei PF01 is the name of the rims (18.6 Lbs)
I also attempted to crop them on the car haha, despite my poor skills in Paint they still look great!
Let me know if you or know anybody who has these. I'm also open to some constructive criticism! Thanks Guys!   
Aggressive '08 Solstice GXP

Offline idkfa

• Violent Jain
  • Premium Member
  • Master Tech
  • mostly harmless
    • Make
Re: New Rims for the Kappa
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 09:40:17 PM »
Looks like a 40mm offset. On an 18x8 wheel that just moves the entire wheel OUT 15mm (55-40).  It's all tire width/choice and personal preference after that. How would that look on your current wheel?

I'd love a set of RPF1s in SBC but they're not available.

Offline Johnny_gxp

• Quick Shifter
  • Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 09:48:57 PM »
I think it would come together nicely, not too much tire bulge either. (because of the 8" rim) Also since they're the same tire size and pushed out the extra 15mm there wont be any rub and the offset would look pretty nice too. Considering the stock wheels are already sunken in about 1/2 inch this would make the side of the car more flush. Not to mention the load of benefits from the 24lb decrease! But i wish these PF01s came in that color! Holy cow those rims are sharp!

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 11:51:58 AM »
15mm out?
You are going to change a lot of stress points. Not to mention be outside your fender well.
Are you stock ride height?
Make the right choices now

Offline GXP_Matt

• Tech
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 12:01:20 PM »
Do it!  If I wasn't limited by autocross rules on the variance from stock offset I would give them a shot.  I agree that the decreased offset could work well.  I think with the camber curve of our cars the wheels will still end up inside the wells at full bump travel.  Could also run more static camber to help that.  I am at 3 degrees static and the top of the wheel must be well over an inch inside the fender.

2007 zero option GXP, SCCA A-Street
Full LNF Z0k conversion, Koni Yellows, Solo Race, SSR wheels, BF Goodrich Rivals in 245/40-18

2013 North Carolina Street Tire class champion

Offline Johnny_gxp

• Quick Shifter
  • Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 12:53:19 PM »
GJ I will be replacing my FE3 springs with ZoKs over winter so that should reduce ride height about .3 inches. I don't think that should create any issues, would you see any problem forming there? Also its still a factory spring so I don't think it should have any bump travel issues either, if anything the travel will be decreased.
GxpM another issue I am thinking about is my footprint. With a lighter rim it will already be less contact under heavy acceleration PLUS the loss of the inside 15mm. (but how much is actually lost considering I will still be using my 245 Continental ExtremeContact DW tires)  Like GJ mentioned the stress points will be changed on the arms (which might actually effect my lateral movement on the body, I would definitely need more support from some DDM braces.

Offline GXP_Matt

• Tech
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2013, 01:45:45 PM »
GxpM another issue I am thinking about is my footprint. With a lighter rim it will already be less contact under heavy acceleration PLUS the loss of the inside 15mm. (but how much is actually lost considering I will still be using my 245 Continental ExtremeContact DW tires)  Like GJ mentioned the stress points will be changed on the arms (which might actually effect my lateral movement on the body, I would definitely need more support from some DDM braces.

The rim weight will not change the traction you have, and the stress in the control arms is not affected by the rim offset.  The control arms take compressive and tensile forces from cornering that are fed into them by the upright.  The wheel offset doesn't "change a lot of stress points."

The Z0k springs will increase your static camber by lowering the car which will help with rim clearance.
2007 zero option GXP, SCCA A-Street
Full LNF Z0k conversion, Koni Yellows, Solo Race, SSR wheels, BF Goodrich Rivals in 245/40-18

2013 North Carolina Street Tire class champion

Offline Johnny_gxp

• Quick Shifter
  • Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2013, 04:46:23 PM »
Thanks for clearing that up GxpM! The only reason I mentioned that is because I have heard somebody mention that before, (on the Corvette Forums).
Do you think my surface area will change at all? Considering my tires sidewalls are 1 ply as oppose to 2 ply, I think they will just mush out to be the same contact pad no?
I may sound like an idiot (Granted I'm not the sharpest tac in the box) but I don't want to sacrifice anything performance wise for these rims. But from the sounds of it they will only help me! So I think I'm SOLD! They look amazing too haha 
And that's why i love this forum!  :urock:

Offline InTheSky831

• Master Tech
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2013, 05:24:53 PM »
im running +1" spacers all the way around, on mercedes amg wheels. i gained 2 inches on my wheel width.

car handles fine.

pf01's look amazing  :yay:

Offline Johnny_gxp

• Quick Shifter
  • Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2013, 05:33:52 PM »
ITS831 you wouldn't happen to have any photos would you? And did you use lug adapters? Because I was looking into some BMW rims too. I just didn't know if I could trust the lug adapters.   

Offline InTheSky831

• Master Tech
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2013, 05:48:47 PM »
Mine arent adapters, just spacers. but they are the same thing, instead of me going to 5x114.3 io stayed at 5x100..

i like them, but keep in mind my car is lowered and i had to pull my fenders, which is NOT for the weak hearted. clearance is minimal, and honestly tonight im trimming fenderliners and re adjusting my suspension.

i will be posting photos maybe tomorrow, depends on how tonight goes lol. but IMO it looks great. very opposite of the monster truck skys everyone else has :)

as for the PF01 wheel quality, they are some of THE BEST performance wheels out there.

just do yourself a favor. buy GOOD tires. they make a biggere difference than ANYTHING

Offline Johnny_gxp

• Quick Shifter
  • Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2013, 05:58:44 PM »
Oh definitely! The tires I have now are fantastic! Blow the stock ones out of the water! 

Offline InTheSky831

• Master Tech
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2013, 06:08:22 PM »
what tires did you get?

im running a 245/40/18 sumitomo htzr2. OK tires. not good. but they were cheap and will last me awhile. They are my street-letspickupnailsandshit-tires, my track tires are bstone RE11's which are hands down the best tires ive owned. or driven on. also some of the most expensive out there lol. but they are the best.

wheel fitment is a science nowadays. you really have to do your research. offset is not going to change stress points. it is strictly how the wheel sits in the wheel wells.

also, whoever said 15mm will put your wheels past the fender on a 18x8 stock offset, you may want to hush. thats like less than half an inch. it WILL NOT poass the fenders. my 1" barely did.

Offline Johnny_gxp

• Quick Shifter
  • Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2013, 06:48:16 PM »
I'm running Continental ExtremeContact DW Tires. 245/45/R18 (stock size) a very light tire with, well... extreme amounts of contact  :lol: But the contact pad is actually more than my brothers Trans Am! and that has 275s! The ONLY issue and I mean ONLY issue I have noticed is if you're hard in a turn and you catch a small bump... Hold on and stay steady! Because the 1 ply walls on the tires like to vibrate A LOT. You will feel the car slide a tiny bit (VERY SCARY THE FIRST TIME I EXPERIENCED IT) but it always hooks right back up. Also when driving on grooved concrete (A.K.A Bridges) they like to get a little hairy. But, other than that its like the car is on rails dude.  :D   

Offline InTheSky831

• Master Tech
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2013, 08:56:20 PM »
you need better suspension. the extremecontacts are a very good tire, but anything less than a true track tire will give you those feelings.

invest, buy a good coilover set up and bracing.

im running BC coilovers, ddm backbone, ddm bay brace. also running a custom rear frame brace. best money i eveer spent.

the facotry bilsteins arent terrible, but they do suck.

Offline InTheSky831

• Master Tech
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2013, 08:57:07 PM »
all that bumping is from it being so soft. when u get suspension, youll really see what rails feel like my man! 

Offline Johnny_gxp

• Quick Shifter
  • Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2013, 09:30:33 PM »
Well I'm going to upgrade to ZoK sprigs for now. Hopefully that will keep me entertained until I'm out of college haha. Still on that poor college student grind. I'm currently saving for springs, JPM shifter, full DDM brace kit, PF01 rims, Norms Fenders, and a catch can. I should have all of this by the end of August. But suspension components maybe next year.  :tool:
I might hollow out my cat.... not sure though ill save that for another thread.

Offline sirwm

• Tech
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2013, 09:55:06 PM »
the wheels look nice in the photoshop picture...

:2c:
wr

Offline Johnny_gxp

• Quick Shifter
  • Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2013, 10:26:08 PM »
Thanks Sirwn! They're coming soon!

Offline silverfox90

• Tech
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2013, 01:05:03 PM »
The wheels do look pretty nice. I run 18x8 wheels with a 42 offset and have no issues with rubbing or clearance. Definitely more aggressive looking than stock, I would have 18x9, but I couldn't get that size in the wheels I wanted.
2008 Solstice GXP- 31,000 miles, 5 speed: Trifecta tune, 20% tint sides, 5% rear, Windrestrictor V2, tinted tails, leather wrapped and stitched center console.

Offline InTheSky831

• Master Tech
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2013, 01:29:23 PM »
lol being a broke college kid does suck. im out of college but still broke!

imo, dont waste your time or money upgrading for springs. spend it on the bracing and save for the coilovers.

Offline InTheSky831

• Master Tech
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2013, 01:30:16 PM »
im just gonna hollow my cat as well. i see it pointless to spend 400 bucks for a catless downpipe when hollowing it does VIRTUALLY the same thing, and tricks state inspectors into thinking there is a cat. and it still shoots gangster flames.