Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Ignition Fault Recall: all models of Solstice/Sky Included  (Read 69842 times)

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
Re: Ignition Fault Recall: UPDATE 2006-2007 Solstice/Sky Included
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2014, 07:09:14 PM »

Same here. Seems as this year is going salt, and snow, won't be gone till 2015!

What he said, except I'll drive it below 40 degrees.

Summer tires don't like the cold roads
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2014, 09:21:23 PM »
Yeah but here in central Hellinois we don't have twisty roads so as long as I don't do something foolish the tires aren't much of an issue.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline crisco

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
  • My Precious!
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2014, 12:58:08 PM »
Summer tires don't like the cold roads
True That! That and it Damn Cold out for the top down! 20 degrees and holding....Waaaah!
My Precious! 2007  Solstice GXP, Aggressive, Santana Cup Holder, Beachparty Fuse Box Cover,DDM Backbone Brace, DDM Performance Probeam, DDM Latin Venom Brace, DDM Oil Catch Can (Red), DDM LNF Intake Tube (Red), DDM Radiator Hose (Red), Wind Restricter, Solo Performance Mach Shorty Exhaust,...more to come!

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2014, 07:19:00 PM »
From an article today in Ward's Auto...

"GM says it received more field reports in 2005 of the Cobalt losing engine power. The next year, GM approved changes to the switch design by supplier Delphi Mechatronics; the changeover occurred during the 2007 model year. But it was not until 2011 that GM started a formal inquiry into a cluster of crashes of cars from 2007 and earlier in which the airbags did not deploy."

So the change happened in the 2007 model years and because the part number didn't change they can't track what vehicles the defective switches went into. They haven't got much choice but to recall the whole model year.

If any of us have to change out ignition switch in the future how are we going to know if it's the old design or the new design.   :devil:
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 07:45:40 PM by Sly Bob »
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline DaveOC

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
  • Running Wisconsin
Aggressive #000741

Offline windancer

• Tech
    • Graham Fine Art Photography
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2014, 10:18:14 AM »
I have been preaching that for 50+ years.  My key ring has always been limited to the car keys and a house key.  I have 4 sets of keys one for each vehicle.
Can't claim 50 years, but I do agree limit weight of the key ring, I have always done that also, I too have multiple sets of keys fo both my cars........Just my opinion :)

Terry
2008 Midnight Blue Saturn Sky
OEM Spoiler, 2.4L NA, 5 speed, Chrome Wheels, Limited Slip Differential
Midnight blue exterior/leather interior, Electric Blue Windrestrictor V2

Offline slusamson

• Tech
Re: Ignition Fault Recall: all models of Solstice/Sky Included
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2014, 10:22:53 AM »
I have one of these for my house and work keys plus a thumb drive: http://getkeysmart.com

My car key and fob live on a separate key ring, and the Key Smart stays in my pocket. Can't stand all that extra stuff hanging down from my ignition!

Offline cdflint

• Master Tech
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2014, 12:43:45 AM »
So is my 09 perfect?
She's an 09 Brazen GXP.

Covered by Norms Fiberglass, DDM, WERKS, KappaSphere, Trifecta performance, Dejon performance, Solo performance, Magnaflow, Hahn, VDI, B&G, ASAP, WindRestrictor, Gravana, JPM, Santana, Madmod, HID pro, Second Skin Audio, mydipkit, Automotivetouchup.com and Smoothline.

To be or not to be hard, that is the question. I prefer my top off and still hard when I need it.

Offline tazz

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2014, 01:43:14 PM »
You can turn off your ignition off while driving and turn the key and it will start automatic anywayn

Offline scanner

• Master Tech
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2014, 08:10:27 PM »
If it rains really hard and drys really well I might look for the key. Assuming the salt is all washed away.
Clear skies!
Scanner

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline ihawk95

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2014, 04:10:22 PM »
Eh...

I think I'm going to wait some more on this one until GM gets their act together.  Still haven't called a dealer about it.

Offline LatinVenom

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2014, 04:59:51 PM »
Well the above says they may have to reprogram the keys.
The reason they are now going to change the tumbler where you insert the key.
I think this will be a huge problem to those of us that have aftermarket tunes.
I hope the reprogramming does not involved resetting the ECM software.
I can tell you my car will not have this done if this is the case.
Solstice GXP 2007.
Aggressive and fully loaded.
Mods: Magnaflow 2.5" exhaust, DDM Backbone & ProBeam,ZOK suspension,LV Kappa Front Chassis Brace, BTF Turbo Upgraded Wheel, Windristrictor, JPM Center console,arms,tulip,side doors,DDM Upgraded wheel tune.

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 07:18:58 PM by Sly Bob »

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2014, 07:02:29 PM »
And on top of that, another recall for our cars announced today. Can anyone remove their keys without turning off the ignition?

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/04/10/gm-engineers-paid-leave-pending-recall-investigation-video
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Replacement parts for cars at the center of a massive General Motors recall for defective ignition switches began arriving at dealerships across this country just this week. If car owners have already gotten repairs made, they'll need to make an additional trip to their dealerships. On Thursday, General Motors said there's another safety problem plaguing the same vehicles.

The company is recalling 2.19 million of the same Chevrolet Cobalt, HHR, Saturn Ion, Sky, Pontiac G5 and Solstice models to fix a problem that allows keys to be removed from ignitions that are not in the "off" position.

In at least one case, a vehicle rolled away in a parking lot and resulted in a crash and injury, according to GM, which said it is aware of "several hundred" complaints about keys coming out of ignitions. The company will fix the ignition lock cylinders to prevent the problem.

This is a separate problem than the one allowing ignition switches in the same models to inadvertently move from the "run" to "accessory" positions, which can turn off both the engine and airbag systems. That defect has led to 13 deaths, and subsequently, Congressional inquiries into why the company didn't recall affected vehicles sooner.
Earlier Thursday, GM announced it has suspended two senior engineers – with pay – who oversaw changes in ignition-switch designs. Although the company did not name the two, Bloomberg News reported they were Ray DeGiorgio and Gary Altman.

During Congressional hearings last week, Sen. Claire McCaskill (D-MO) alleged that DeGiorgio had perjured himself while testifying in a lawsuit related to a crash caused by the faulty ignition switch, and expressed disbelief that he had not yet been fired.

"This is an interim step as we seek the truth about what happened," GM CEO Mary Barra said about the suspensions Thursday. "It was a difficult decision, but I believe it is best for GM."

Before removing the key from the ignition, GM says motorists should ensure their cars are in the "park" position or, in manual cars, have the emergency brake on until the cars are repaired. In the case of the ignition-switch recall, GM says drivers must remove all keys from their key rings until the cars are fixed.

While GM has maintained the cars are safe to operate in that instance, it has also said there's a heightened risk driving on rough roads and other potentially jarring conditions. A US District Court judge in Texas is weighing a request to ground the entire fleet of affected cars until repairs are made. Last Friday, she said she did not yet have enough information to make a decision.

GM announced the ignition-switch recall in February and has twice expanded it to include more vehicles. Overall, the company has issued six recalls in the past four weeks that affect 4,258,687 cars, including Thursday's recall.

The company revised financial figures and said it expects to spend $1.3 billion on recalls in the first quarter of 2013. That's up from previous estimates of $750 million.

"The extent, and cost of GM's ignition-switch recall has grown dramatically in the past few weeks," said Karl Brauer, a senior analyst with Kelley Blue Book. "Much of this stems from GM's desire to comprehensively address all aspect of the recall, though there's also growing concern over potentially deceptive or criminal behavior that could result in government fines."

« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 07:19:23 PM by Sly Bob »

Offline MomsSol

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2014, 07:56:33 PM »
Well the above says they may have to reprogram the keys.
The reason they are now going to change the tumbler where you insert the key.
I think this will be a huge problem to those of us that have aftermarket tunes.
I hope the reprogramming does not involved resetting the ECM software.
I can tell you my car will not have this done if this is the case.
Thankfully I have a tune that has free re-tunes. So, if it does happen to overwrite it my tuner will reflash for free...and I have my original ECM to use while that takes place. 
Just here to help a friend! :thumbs:
True Lady Gearhead :)
We'll Miss You PONTIAC! :cryin:

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2014, 08:16:34 PM »
You shouldn't have to reflash the ECM to program a key.  You only have to get the car to recognize the chip in the key.  It's very similar to programing the car to use a specific key fob.  In fact the owners manual for your car tells you how to program a key if you have a key that is already programed to the car, you don't even need any tools just the two keys.  A key fob requires a tech tool.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline ihawk95

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2014, 12:06:09 PM »
And on top of that, another recall for our cars announced today. Can anyone remove their keys without turning off the ignition?

I'm almost positive I can.  I did it by accident on my way back from Asheville when my car was acting goofy from a bad relay.  I meant to test the theory last night, but didn't have time to get the car out before I went running.

Offline POS VETT

• Master Tech
  • AINT YRS
« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2014, 10:51:52 PM »
I think removing the key from ignition with the engine running is not possible without applying excessive force for my car. I'll try it when the car is off the lift and out of hibernation.

Offline ihawk95

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2014, 08:35:56 AM »
I just went out and played with my ignition. I can't take the key out, but it is pretty damn easy to get the switch to go from on to accessory. I could see if I have a lot of weight on my key chain it would probably turn my car off. I can pretty much give it a few taps with my finger and get it to turn off. But it turns back in just as easily.

Offline 1LILNDN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Me and the Chief
« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2014, 12:44:36 PM »
I talked to a man on Friday that has an 07 .He has been waiting over 3 weeks to get it fixed and dealer told him part is back ordered .
Mods
GMPPTune, seat belt loops, Magnaflow Exhaust, Turn signal Mod, K/N CAI, Sprint Booster, , Driveshaft tunnel Plate, New Wheels, 3rd lite cover-up, Painted Calibers & Decals, Cooler/Travel bag, ProBeam, Custom FuseBoxCover, Sound Deadening, PeddleCovers, Hidden license bracket, Center Console, DDM Tbolt clamp&IC pipes, WindRestrictor & Lightbar, WestersRaceTune, Hood & Trunk Lighting, "A" pillar & Gauges,HoosierGXP interrior lights,StunnerTag and Directional Mirrors,Hood&Body Graphics(Chief Pontiac) by Jack of Arts,dimming mirror w/temp&compass

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2014, 03:40:20 PM »
I would assume that if he's concerned about it that the dealer has put him in a loaner?

Offline POS VETT

• Master Tech
  • AINT YRS
« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2014, 04:49:30 PM »
I want a loaner too!

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2014, 05:11:00 PM »
I haven't even got my recall letter yet although I did see my car was on the list when I checked the VIN.

Offline tazz

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2014, 06:33:59 PM »
According to a few dealerships including my local one they have not even shipped them out.  The switches were not expected until late April and now thats set back since lock cylinders are to be replaced and changed with the switches.