Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Ignition Fault Recall: all models of Solstice/Sky Included  (Read 69831 times)

Offline tazz

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
Re: Ignition Fault Recall: all models of Solstice/Sky Included
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2014, 06:38:53 PM »
This recall is going to take awhile to get going because of the huge number that GM has to replace.  I really not sure people grasp how large a number this recall encompasses .  Your talking about alot of materials that need to be procured and shipped to dealers once they are made.

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2014, 07:13:06 PM »
Yeah, like MILLIONS!   :gaah:
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline tazz

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #52 on: April 14, 2014, 07:31:18 PM »
What people need to remember is if it happens dont panic!!!!.  You still have steering and you still have brakes keep a level head and you should be ok.  Ive had two blowouts going 80 plus and kept my truck and a car under control during the blowout i just keep a level head.  I push the envolpe though most of the time so im quick to respond usuall.

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #53 on: April 14, 2014, 07:44:22 PM »
Just turn the key back on if it happens.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #54 on: April 14, 2014, 09:38:02 PM »
there you go again SA using common sense.
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #55 on: April 15, 2014, 08:58:17 AM »
there you go again SA using common sense.
Crap.  The world *IS* ending!
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #56 on: April 15, 2014, 12:36:54 PM »

Crap.  The world *IS* ending!

Yup. But it is one hell of a ride!
Make the right choices now

Offline LatinVenom

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #57 on: April 15, 2014, 04:33:35 PM »
I went through today and did some test on my 2007 Solstice.
1st I tried to pull the key out and it did not budge.
2nd I tried to simulate putting some weight on the key and it did NOT move at all.
At this point I am going to leave it alone and if I ever sell it then will have it done.
I am not sure why after having our cars for a lot of years with no ignition key problems, people are going to let a dealer take the whole ignition mechanism
out, get new keys and hope everything is done correctly, with the expectation it will work as good as the old one.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 10:36:54 PM by LatinVenom »
Solstice GXP 2007.
Aggressive and fully loaded.
Mods: Magnaflow 2.5" exhaust, DDM Backbone & ProBeam,ZOK suspension,LV Kappa Front Chassis Brace, BTF Turbo Upgraded Wheel, Windristrictor, JPM Center console,arms,tulip,side doors,DDM Upgraded wheel tune.

Offline NormSky

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #58 on: April 16, 2014, 06:38:40 PM »
The girlfriend has been making comments on the recall and how Jap cars are so much better. So as we were stopped at a light reached over and pulled down on her pepper spray dangling from her key chain. Sure enough it shut off with little effort to both our amazement. Though I asked when she will be contacting Subaru about her 2012 Forester's safety defect, the chiding from her has stopped.

I do like the like the light dedent in the ignition of the Sky and probably won't have it changed as I don't want to go into a Chevy dealership. ;)
07 Sky Hahn Boosted - 44 MPG  40 mpg with air conditioning on.

Offline POS VETT

• Master Tech
  • AINT YRS
« Reply #59 on: April 18, 2014, 10:39:02 AM »
You can go to a Buick, Cadillac, or GMC dealership instead if you wish ...

Offline 07Clone

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #60 on: April 18, 2014, 10:44:35 PM »
Turned in my Sol today,  :slap:got a loaner until it is fixed(hopefully not more than two weeks). Going to see how many miles I can put on it  :drive:

Offline tazz

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #61 on: April 18, 2014, 11:07:16 PM »
As far as i know the dealerships do not have the parts yet and may not for awhile. I will talk to mine tomorrow to see when they might have parts or when they might get them.
Originally its was supposed to be later part of April first part of. May but that has changed.

Offline LRuch

• Tech
« Reply #62 on: April 19, 2014, 10:25:43 AM »
Just spoke to my dealer and now I'm on the list to get my Sky fixed, although I have not had any problems with my key falling out or the car turning off, better safe than sorry.

Offline GXPinKC

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • GXPinKC
    • KappaPerformance.com
« Reply #63 on: April 19, 2014, 10:19:10 PM »
Our Dealer, Superior Chevrolet does not have the parts yet but will notify us when they come in for the fix...Oh, wow, it seems like an eternity since Carol or I have driven "Miss Red Eagle" but our 2000 Lincoln Navigator is now our only source of transportation.  :usa:
Code 1100, Order#KCPDVV 04-28-2006, Delivery: 12-27-2006 

2007 Aggressive GXP, 5-speed, Ebony Leather seats w red accent stitching, Chrome Wheels, Air, 6-Disc, Monsoon, Sport Metallic Pedals & Premium Headliner.

MSRP $30,300 less $1,000 GMMC credit.  Deal: $28,180. ($2,120 under MSRP).

DDM Race Backbone, Probeam, & Red Cross Bay Brace
JPM Leather Center Console
Windrestrictor
MRZ Performance Billet Caps
Beach Party FBC
Solo Mach Exhaust

Offline POS VETT

• Master Tech
  • AINT YRS
« Reply #64 on: April 20, 2014, 08:12:54 AM »
The key effort to turn off the ignition on my CTS-V seems low too. I have no idea what kind of minimum required torque but it has never happened to me that it shut off by any accidental or unintentional means.

Offline MomsSol

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #65 on: April 20, 2014, 10:04:53 AM »
According to http://www.gmignitionupdate.com

UPDATES
April 15, 2014: Parts are being delivered to dealers and vehicles are being repaired.

I've not read of a single car that has been repaired under this recall yet, nor of anyone receiving the 2nd recall letter.  According to a previous chart posted in the site above, we all should have received our 2nd letter.
Just here to help a friend! :thumbs:
True Lady Gearhead :)
We'll Miss You PONTIAC! :cryin:

Offline EarthNTX

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #66 on: April 20, 2014, 10:19:52 AM »
I've only received one letter so far.
Ride it like you mean it.

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #67 on: April 20, 2014, 10:23:21 AM »
Sounds like we shouldn't expect our letters for the second recall until after the 21st. Canada might be different although running my VIN on the Canadian site did show mine was recalled, not that I didn't already know that.

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline tazz

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #68 on: April 20, 2014, 10:00:50 PM »
Talked to my dealer on Sat since they are open and the Service Manager said parts for the Cobalts had come in but not for the Solstice or Sky but should be in this week or next week.  I asked even now since the lock cylinders need replaced and hesaid yes.

Offline IBDRINKEN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Donkey Master
« Reply #69 on: April 20, 2014, 10:05:47 PM »
I haven't even received one recall letter yet but my parts were ordered last week
13.5@101.90
320HP 358 Torque
Solo Hi Flow Cat/ 3in dual exhaust
Kappa Intake
Dakota Digital EG, Boost Gauage, Oil Temp, Oil Pressure, Fuel Pressure
DDM Probeam, Backbone, IC Pipes, Coilcover Cross Brace
JPM Shifter, Center Console
DDM Intercooler
AEM Water/Meth Injection

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #70 on: April 21, 2014, 08:48:30 AM »
Let's be honest here, has anyone here had an issue with their shutting down or the keys falling out?

I haven't so I am not going to get myself all worked up and/or park the car in fear something is going to happen. 
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #71 on: April 21, 2014, 08:54:56 AM »
I haven't had an issue at all and I'm thinkin' I'm going to wait until I have issues before having it looked at. I'll keep an eye on it.

Offline ihawk95

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #72 on: April 21, 2014, 10:48:05 AM »
Let's be honest here, has anyone here had an issue with their shutting down or the keys falling out?

I haven't so I am not going to get myself all worked up and/or park the car in fear something is going to happen. 

I've done a bit of research on this.  Of the 5 or so Facebook groups I am on, I found only 1 Solstice owner who posted a picture of a banged up Solstice and said his car shut off and he got into an accident because of it.  Damaged looked to be cosmetic.

There was a post on the Sky forum from a member who said his car had shut off on him twice when going to work.  He had a long communte, something like 40 miles, and he was going to take a loaner since his car had the issue.

Next I asked Mom's about this since she is an admin on the big boards also.  She said she personally knew of one Kappa who had the issue.  She did a quick search of the forums and didn't find much in the way of complaints about engines shutting off.  I couldn't remember many either.

That makes only 3 that I am aware off.

So for whatever reason, I suspect this not the norm for our cars and is more prevalent in the Cobalts and Ions either because there are more of them, or there is something just a touch different about the installation in our cars (location, location of steering column, angle of install, etc).

That being said, what I have seen a lot of and have personally witnessed is the key becoming stuck and won't move.  Either while the car is running or when the car is off.  The key won't do anything.  Won't come out, won't turn either direction, you can't wiggle the car, you can't wiggle the steering wheel...it refuses to move.  I've seen complaints on the forums of this, on Facebook, and I've personally witnessed it in a friend's 2007 Sky.  This has happened to 2007, 2008, and 2009 model year cars.  I can't think of an 06 Solstice that has done this off hand.  But for certain I know it has happened in 2007-2009 MY kappas.

Sooooo...Like Bob, I'm going to take the same approach.  I'll either end up with a car that randomly turns off, or one that won't turn on or off!!

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #73 on: April 21, 2014, 11:05:54 AM »
That being said, what I have seen a lot of and have personally witnessed is the key becoming stuck and won't move.  Either while the car is running or when the car is off.  The key won't do anything.  Won't come out, won't turn either direction, you can't wiggle the car, you can't wiggle the steering wheel...it refuses to move.  I've seen complaints on the forums of this, on Facebook, and I've personally witnessed it in a friend's 2007 Sky.  This has happened to 2007, 2008, and 2009 model year cars.  I can't think of an 06 Solstice that has done this off hand.  But for certain I know it has happened in 2007-2009 MY kappas.

How many of those were automatics, as autos have that interlock with the gear shift?
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline ihawk95

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #74 on: April 21, 2014, 01:20:00 PM »
For sure the 2007 Sky was an automatic.  The guy lives in Decatur, IL.  Let me do a little investigation on the others.  Pretty sure at least one other I know of is a manual.

*edit - A quick search shows the 2009 is a manual.  I know of another automatic off the top of my head.  I'd have to dig deeper to see what some of the others are.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 01:27:29 PM by ihawk95 »