Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Ignition Fault Recall: all models of Solstice/Sky Included  (Read 69830 times)

Offline crisco

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
  • My Precious!
Re: Ignition Fault Recall: all models of Solstice/Sky Included
« Reply #225 on: July 28, 2014, 11:16:37 AM »
Did they give you two new keys since you only gave them one old key?

My car goes in this afternoon. When I talked to the service person and told him I only had one key, he said no problem now you will get two keys.
My Precious! 2007  Solstice GXP, Aggressive, Santana Cup Holder, Beachparty Fuse Box Cover,DDM Backbone Brace, DDM Performance Probeam, DDM Latin Venom Brace, DDM Oil Catch Can (Red), DDM LNF Intake Tube (Red), DDM Radiator Hose (Red), Wind Restricter, Solo Performance Mach Shorty Exhaust,...more to come!

Offline tazz

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #226 on: July 29, 2014, 06:42:46 PM »
If you happened to save one of your original keys you CAN reprogram it to start your car.  A buddy of mine had his done today and kept one of his keys .  Programmed it as specified i the owners manual and his old key works as well as the two new keys. 

Offline crisco

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
  • My Precious!
« Reply #227 on: July 30, 2014, 08:28:40 AM »
Work was done...key looks like Sh#%, but the car is done!  :drive: :thumbs:
My Precious! 2007  Solstice GXP, Aggressive, Santana Cup Holder, Beachparty Fuse Box Cover,DDM Backbone Brace, DDM Performance Probeam, DDM Latin Venom Brace, DDM Oil Catch Can (Red), DDM LNF Intake Tube (Red), DDM Radiator Hose (Red), Wind Restricter, Solo Performance Mach Shorty Exhaust,...more to come!

Offline POS VETT

• Master Tech
  • AINT YRS
« Reply #228 on: July 30, 2014, 03:42:54 PM »
If you happened to save one of your original keys you CAN reprogram it to start your car.  A buddy of mine had his done today and kept one of his keys .  Programmed it as specified i the owners manual and his old key works as well as the two new keys. 

I thought when the tumbler was replaced, the key was cut differently.

Offline tazz

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #229 on: July 30, 2014, 03:49:08 PM »
Nope same cut

Offline LatinVenom

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #230 on: July 30, 2014, 04:44:14 PM »
Keep the key as a souvenir or keep sake, do not use it to drive.
If you have an accident while using the old key....... well you will know what a good lawyer can do to you.
Solstice GXP 2007.
Aggressive and fully loaded.
Mods: Magnaflow 2.5" exhaust, DDM Backbone & ProBeam,ZOK suspension,LV Kappa Front Chassis Brace, BTF Turbo Upgraded Wheel, Windristrictor, JPM Center console,arms,tulip,side doors,DDM Upgraded wheel tune.

Offline tazz

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #231 on: July 30, 2014, 05:41:04 PM »
The damn key is not goint to do jack. 
There was not a problem with my car but did not want to do it because of the keys being generic.  Well problem solved since my buddy had his done and what do you know the same cut just new keys and cylinder switch.  Talked to the Service manager about purchasing the old style keys and getting them cut since I perfer the Pontiac Arrow Logo vs the Generic and he said no problem.  Took my car in this morning and just picked it up and what do you know same damn cut as the old keys and programed the old key to start the car.

Offline tazz

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #232 on: July 30, 2014, 05:47:13 PM »
95% of the stuff we eat on a daily basis is killing us but do we care and are we suing the food processing companies and the agriculture companies.

Offline POS VETT

• Master Tech
  • AINT YRS
« Reply #233 on: July 30, 2014, 10:43:33 PM »
Well, this is a new piece of information.

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #234 on: July 31, 2014, 01:18:28 PM »
Keep the key as a souvenir or keep sake, do not use it to drive.
If you have an accident while using the old key....... well you will know what a good lawyer can do to you.

Even a bad lawyer can establish reasonable doubt that I ever got notice from GM that there was a recall.  Did anyone have to sign for the postman before they got their recall letter?  Did GM demand all the old keys back?  All of this can put the blame right back on GM and guess what GM has deeper pockets than any of us so who really is more likely to get sued?
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline LatinVenom

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #235 on: July 31, 2014, 03:18:21 PM »
Then why do the recall?.
The keys are part of the issue if weighted down, because of the designed.
You want to keep the old keys find, you have a choice, do not do the recall or do it and keep the key(s) as a souvenir.
Do not plead stupid it does not work.
Solstice GXP 2007.
Aggressive and fully loaded.
Mods: Magnaflow 2.5" exhaust, DDM Backbone & ProBeam,ZOK suspension,LV Kappa Front Chassis Brace, BTF Turbo Upgraded Wheel, Windristrictor, JPM Center console,arms,tulip,side doors,DDM Upgraded wheel tune.

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #236 on: July 31, 2014, 03:38:44 PM »
Do not plead stupid it does not work.

Actually it does work, ever see a safety warning on a product?  Everyone of those warnings is because some fool tried to do something stupid with a product and then sued a manufacturer when they got hurt.  Most of the time they won the court case and the rest of us get to see a new warning.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #237 on: July 31, 2014, 03:56:16 PM »
Well, this is a new piece of information.

No, it isn't.  Just read the previous page of this thread.
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline crisco

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
  • My Precious!
« Reply #238 on: August 01, 2014, 07:48:10 AM »
Finally got the call yesterday will be taking it in 2 weeks dealer said it would take between an hour and an hour and a half asked if I wanted a loaner car and I told them no thanks I'll wait I have read too many stories of dealer techs taking cars out for a "test drive" and end up trashing the cars
When they had my car they only offered a ride home, BTW, they didn't take my car out for a joy ride. Unless they disengaged the odometer! Or maybe they ran it in reverse and back the miles off....yeah That's the ticket!

Offline crisco

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
  • My Precious!
« Reply #239 on: August 01, 2014, 07:57:35 AM »
With all the comments about old key new key what is the difference, if someone put their key on a key-chain with 10 lbs. of keys and do-dads on it, the tumbler will still fail over time. I mean I know what their thought process was, engineers being what they are, looking at everything a certain way. (not always a bad thing) I mean people will do what they want no matter what logic or commonsense dictates what they are supposed to do.
I don't like the new key, but my car is still the same and I drive my car not the key, and I bought the car because of the car not the keys!   

Offline GXPinKC

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • GXPinKC
    • KappaPerformance.com
« Reply #240 on: August 01, 2014, 08:40:02 AM »
Where have you been?  Hiding in a tree?

All kappas recalled mentioned for at least 5 weeks now....GM is covering up shit faster than a cat in a catbox.

Moms Sol...please indeed forgive me for bringing back your post above but it really hit my funny bone :woohoo: and I could not stop laughing...you see Carol and I have always owned cats even though more dogs than cats.

Code 1100, Order#KCPDVV 04-28-2006, Delivery: 12-27-2006 

2007 Aggressive GXP, 5-speed, Ebony Leather seats w red accent stitching, Chrome Wheels, Air, 6-Disc, Monsoon, Sport Metallic Pedals & Premium Headliner.

MSRP $30,300 less $1,000 GMMC credit.  Deal: $28,180. ($2,120 under MSRP).

DDM Race Backbone, Probeam, & Red Cross Bay Brace
JPM Leather Center Console
Windrestrictor
MRZ Performance Billet Caps
Beach Party FBC
Solo Mach Exhaust

Offline tazz

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #241 on: August 01, 2014, 03:47:21 PM »
Just dont offer any additional info simple.  They have no idea if you have both keys or not.  Keep one buy one off ebay for $15 have it cut either by the dealer or if they wont take it to a locksmith shop they will cut it for you.

Offline tazz

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #242 on: August 01, 2014, 03:50:46 PM »
I checked a locksmith just incase the dealer did not want to or was going to cost me  $10 .  Locksmith shop $1 a key to cut then program per owners manual.

Offline tazz

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #243 on: August 01, 2014, 04:15:26 PM »
All 5 of my keys work. :).....
1 Original  2 warranty 2 new ebay keys programed per owners manual.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 08:42:09 PM by tazz »

Offline tazz

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #244 on: August 02, 2014, 12:05:14 AM »
GM is just basically trying to cover all bases and even with the lock cylinder and key issue which they could not duplicate.  With that said whats hurting GM is they knew it COULD POSSIBLY FAIL but LOOKS LIKE THEY COVERED IT UP.  The keys and lock cylinder were never really designed to hold 10+ keys but like everything else people rightly or wrongly put everything because of ease.  Thats why to cover there AZZ there saying NONE NOT EVEN THE KEY FOB to ELIMINATE ANY POSSIBILITY THAT MIGHT ARISE even with the redesigned keys and cylinder. 
I can honestly say my vehicle did not have a problem because the NEW cylinder requirers about the same pressure to shut off the vehicle as my old one.  I got mine changed because after 5yrs of daily use my lock cylinder was probably getting worn.  Also I have serveral keys on my keyring so that was not helping matters.  So if its free and I can get new keys and purchase new keys with the old Arrow logo why not.  Any vehicle can have this problem and as we have keys for everything under the sun it will put pressure on any manufacturer lock and cylinder because of all the weight. 
Its up to you what you and what your comfortable with im just here to tell you how I went about it to get what I wanted for me.  As I said before dont offer any additional info and if they ask tell them a vehicle that is not covered under the warranty.  If your not comfortable with omitting info then just go get them cut at a Locksmith shop and program them.  In the end whatever you choose to do your car wont drive any different so its up to you.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 12:14:57 AM by tazz »

Offline Sting Ya

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #245 on: August 07, 2014, 09:04:43 PM »
Had the recall done today took all of a 1/2 hour ( I got the "experienced tech") they told me I had to turn in at least one key per GM which is what I did told them I was keeping the other one as a souvenir because it had the Pontiac logo on it and the new ones don't  all in all not a bad experience

Offline NormSky

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
07 Sky Hahn Boosted - 44 MPG  40 mpg with air conditioning on.

Offline POS VETT

• Master Tech
  • AINT YRS
« Reply #247 on: August 08, 2014, 08:14:44 AM »
By the time there are 50 keys and a set of brass knuckles, it doesnt matter which company manufactured the key cylinder.

This kind of ignorance baffles me.