Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Best Battery Tender  (Read 2868 times)

Offline SHiNY

• Faster than Slowest Romanian
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Every Cloud has a Silver Lining
Best Battery Tender
« on: March 02, 2014, 08:28:50 AM »
My car is garage kept, but with all the snow we have had I have not been able to take her out at all since before Christmas. Usually I take her out to at least charge the battery.

Can anyone recommend a good battery tender I can use? I have no idea what I'm looking for and don't know if there is a difference between brands or what kind of specifications I am looking for.

Any help is appreciated.

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
Re: Best Battery Tender
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 10:11:34 AM »
I got the BatteryMINDer version, such as this one: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200332201_200332201 . Has a pigtail that you can leave connected to the car and then just plug in to the maintainer.  Plus, has all the bells and whistles incl de-sulphation. 

Don't know if "its the best" since I've not compared it to anything else, but it works for me and is a data point for your search.

"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline reedred

• Turgid
  • Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 11:18:25 AM »
I picked this one up at Sears a few years ago and it has worked fine. 

http://www.sears.com/diehard-battery-charger-maintainer/p-02871219000P?prdNo=3&blockNo=3&blockType=G3

It had the same specs as the Battery Tender brand but was a lot cheaper.  If it seems like I might not drive the car for a week or more, I just plug it in to the wall and connect it to the cigarette lighter.

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 02:21:21 PM »
I picked one up at a car parts place like Autozone.  I also got one from the bike from Amazon.
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline POS VETT

• Master Tech
  • AINT YRS
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2014, 03:31:26 PM »
Best? Well, I don't know about that.

I have exclusively used the Battery Tender brand; I have four of them and they are all different. One is intended for motorcycle (jr), one is a waterproof, multi-voltage, "world-class", another is a Plus, and the last one is a Plus with AGM Programming. Over the years I put 2-3 cars in winter hibernation for 6-7 months out of a year, so they are used often.

The reason why I have so many is because of the deals I got. One was given to me, another I bought used for really cheap, and the other two I bought new. I'm not a BT die hard, but the one brand affords me part commonality. I'm sure any good brand will do just fine, just make sure it's a float charger category and not trickle charger.

Offline IBDRINKEN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Donkey Master
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2014, 04:11:55 PM »
I have the battery tender as well
13.5@101.90
320HP 358 Torque
Solo Hi Flow Cat/ 3in dual exhaust
Kappa Intake
Dakota Digital EG, Boost Gauage, Oil Temp, Oil Pressure, Fuel Pressure
DDM Probeam, Backbone, IC Pipes, Coilcover Cross Brace
JPM Shifter, Center Console
DDM Intercooler
AEM Water/Meth Injection

Offline SKY888

• Gearhead
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2014, 07:32:58 AM »
for a battery maintener,  I currently have both CTEK mus 4.3  and Battery Tender Plus

I have two because, I have to maintain the batteries of my home generator and riding lawn mower.

I prefer the CTEK.  this is their website  http://smartercharger.com/

and bought the unit at:    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006G14FK8/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

advantages of CTEK
- it has DESULPHATE MODE
- it is fully enclosed/encapsulated which makes it really weatherproof
- if I have a deeply discharged battery, my battery tender plus will refuse to charge it..........but the CTEK will.

I had the battery tender for about 5 years now, and still very reliable which is a good thing.    I just bought the CTEK a year ago, so I can't say if it will last and be as reliable as the battery tender tho.    But so far...so good!

HTH

COMPOUND TURBOS (GT2860r & GT4294r) goal 800hp

CAR SPECS and PHOTOS:
https://www.facebook.com/SKY888CompoundTurbo

SPONSORS:
aeroforce.com, nitrofreeze.com, forgestar.com, splitsec.com, turbosmartonline.com, k1technologies.com, supertechperformance.com, specclutch.com, rceng.com, statusracing.com, tceperformanceproducts.com, burnsstainless.com, performanceautowerks.com, ddmworks.com, turbowerx.com, BTF

Offline kwtoxman

• Master Tech
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2014, 01:11:40 PM »
I've had a battery tender plus something over 10 years, and it has been perfect. It puts out more power than many but has the smart electronics to do the phased charging as well as low amperage charging and maintenance if needed. Great on a car/truck and a bike. I also used to charge Li phosphate batteries, unlike other chargers (DESULPHATION chargers cannot be used on Li phosphate batteries). I typically get over 10 years out of a battery.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 09:56:15 PM by kwtoxman »
:ca2:

Offline PyrateDave

• Premium Member
  • Tech
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2014, 09:54:23 AM »
I have used many battery chargers/maintainers over the years for my motorcycles and normally I would say the Battery Tender because they have so many type to choose from.  A year ago I came across a battery trickle charger from Sears of all places.  I like it because like Battery Tender, it comes with three diffferent ways to hook up to your batter, including clamps, quick disconnect and cigarette adapter. 

The unit also has reverse polarity in case you hook t [ Guests cannot view attachments ] he clamps or install the ring connectors backwards.  The unit comes with a folding hook and can be easily mounted.  I put in right on the celing of my garage with a small hook to hold the slack in the cable when not in use.

Of all the features I like the best, I like that it comes with a scolling LED screen that tells you what it is doing.  No more guessing at flashing green/yellow/red LEDs.

It also auto sences 6v/12v if you charge tractor batteries and its charging is at 3amp, not to small to take a longtime but not to high to cook your battery.  Finally like Battery Tender and a few others it goes into float mode one the battery is fully charged to keep from over charging your battery.

Normally MSRP $45 but can be found on sale for $35 or so...

http://www.sears.com/diehard-platinum-6v-12v-battery-charger-and-maintainer/p-02871239000P?prdNo=15&blockNo=15&blockType=G15
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”