Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Cracked Windshield  (Read 2423 times)

Offline tazz

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
Cracked Windshield
« on: March 02, 2014, 12:05:32 PM »
I have a 18 inch horizontal hairline crack about 3 inches from the bottom of my windshield.  No rock chips or anything by or along the crack but I did leave it outside  and it got down to 2* here and snow.  Thats not unusual in its self since Ive left it outside for most of the winter and it has even been colder than 2*.  Possible its a defect and would be covered under warranty :cloud:

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
Re: Cracked Windshield
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 02:18:53 PM »
Probably not.  More than likely a stress crack.
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline sirwm

• Tech
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 05:37:36 PM »
nuts...

I have not seen many windshield issues issues brought up in the forums...

:(
wr

Offline WWI Flying Ace

• Master Tech
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 03:29:03 PM »
I had the same crack on my original windshield.  I got it replaced a couple years ago, and within a month I got a rock chip that has since spread into the same crack on my current windshield.  Waiting until a few other things get done before I pony up the $100 deductible to get a-NOTHER new windshield only to have the same thing happen again.

Offline ihawk95

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2014, 05:04:06 PM »
I caught a rock and ended up with a similar crack. I drove over a railroad track when it was about 20 degrees out and heard a pop. Replaced the windshield and 4 or 5 years later it's still fine. Other than the other rock that's put a spider Web in this one. Had it fixed and it's still holding 3 years later.

Offline kwtoxman

• Master Tech
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2014, 11:48:04 PM »
Windshield stress cracks have been documented with kappas in HPDE with sticky tires. It is nothing new. As the platform get's older it seems we are seeing it more commonly with less extreme exposure. Very unfortunate.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 11:30:47 AM by kwtoxman »
:ca2:

Offline ryansalazan

• Master Tech
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2014, 11:35:59 AM »
I heard though that the ddm backbone is supposed to actually help with the stress being transferred through the chassis because of it making everything more button down and solid. The chassis would have a smaller chance of flexing under load therefore the windshield would have a much lesser of a chance cracking under stress

Offline WWI Flying Ace

• Master Tech
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2014, 04:39:09 PM »
That sounds reasonable to me.  I want a DDM backbone but I don't have one yet.  Maybe I can justify getting it sooner if it is to protect my windshields!   :cool:

Offline The Carrier

• Master Tech
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2014, 11:35:37 PM »
I heard though that the ddm backbone is supposed to actually help with the stress being transferred through the chassis because of it making everything more button down and solid. The chassis would have a smaller chance of flexing under load therefore the windshield would have a much lesser of a chance cracking under stress

The more torsionally stiff the frame, the less stress would be transferred to the windshield.  I'm getting a warm fuzzy feeling knowing that I'm getting the DDM backbone prior to NASSM's Pocono event.   :yay:
Gawd, I LOVE this car!
2009 Sky Redline
Manual Trans
Leather
Spoiler
6 Disc Monsoon
Stock Setup

Offline kwtoxman

• Master Tech
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2014, 11:51:14 PM »
The more torsionally stiff the frame, the less stress would be transferred to the windshield.  I'm getting a warm fuzzy feeling knowing that I'm getting the DDM backbone prior to NASSM's Pocono event.   :yay:

That sounds reasonable to me.  I want a DDM backbone but I don't have one yet.  Maybe I can justify getting it sooner if it is to protect my windshields!   :cool:

While the bracing may help torsional stiffness, pretty much every car I know that had a stress cracked windshield also had various bracing on, including the tunnel brace. It does not prevent this.

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2014, 10:37:32 PM »
Well I can tell you from experience that my SC'd car will bring the left front fender up and drop the right rear.  I have never cracked my windshield.
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline Helios

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Play Hard; Drive Harder!
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2014, 07:20:39 AM »
^ THIS! Same here.
"Gwyneth"
V8 swap in progress
RPi GT/ SOLO Exhaust

Offline kwtoxman

• Master Tech
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2014, 11:56:10 AM »
Well I can tell you from experience that my SC'd car will bring the left front fender up and drop the right rear.  I have never cracked my windshield.
^ THIS! Same here.

R compound HPDE has slightly more stress. lol. Here is a nice shot at a local AX event

Obviously, a cracked windshield does not affect everyone, There are many HPDE drivers who haven't cracked a windshield yet, like myself. Though I don't have r compound tires on the car and haven't done a huge amount of HPDE.

The point is various threads on various kappa forums show owner experience with cracked windshields that aren't from rock chips. It obviously does not affect everyone, nor even very many people. But it has been observed previously with the platform.

Doing a quick search I found a number of reports without any link to HPDE as well. Some have even gotten their dealers to replace under warranty, others not. Also there is some talk of thermal stress cracking.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 12:17:44 PM by kwtoxman »