Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Check Your Supercharger!  (Read 1593 times)

Offline S.P.

• Master Tech
Check Your Supercharger!
« on: March 23, 2014, 08:36:08 PM »
I was doing some poking around in the engine bay when I noticed wet spots on the frame rail and wires underneath the supercharger. Upon further inspection, I found a lot of oil gunked up on the inside of the nose pulley and almost as much on the underside of the nose itself. The MP62 doesn't have a dipstick so there's no real way that I know of to check the oil level. At this point I put the car out of commission and did some research.

Looking around the Lotus and Miata forums, I found out the there is a seal behind the pulley that tends to leak after a while. Mind you, I've only put about 10Kish miles on my supercharger. Replacing said seal is a pain in the A, but it can be done without any special tools.

I had to buy a strap wrench to hold the pulley still while breaking torque on the pulley nut. Doing this solo is no easy task. I left the supercharger installed on the engine so I could use my full weight on the wrenches (all 150lbs of me!). I read that a pulley puller was necessary to remove the pulley from the shaft, but in my case it came off smoothly with no pressure. There is also a washer between the pulley and nut. At this point I uninstalled the supercharger and set it up vertically. Next thing to come off was the C-clip; also a small pain to remove, but I got it out with needle nose pliers and a small screwdriver. Now it was finally time to remove the OEM seal.

The seal is a black rubber piece encased in what seems like aluminum. It took some ingenuity (small screwdriver and hammer) and some careful prying to get it out. A bearing is right behind the seal so caution is required not to damage it. By the way, oil won't come gushing out when the seal is removed.

Front

Back

There is supposed to be a blue ring around the edge of the seal to keep oil from seeping past. This ring was completely worn off.

I replaced the seal with a recommended Viton double lip seal. Just oil up the inner and out rings and it slides on with no problem.

Lastly, I put the C-clip back on, reinstalled the supercharger and pulley, then torqued the nut to 45 ft lbs. Took the car for a spin being sure to get some high RPM action in. No leaks!

I apologize for not including more pictures. I already had the job wrapped up by the time it occurred to me that I should have taken pics of the process. I hadn't intended this to be a how-to because I wasn't sure that I could do this on my own. Nevertheless, I think this might be good information for someone out there.

p.s. Before I did all of the above I found out that my supercharger had basically no oil left in it. I refilled with 8 oz. of Kenne Bell supercharger oil. Luckily I noticed before the bearings seized.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 10:41:49 PM by S.P. »

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
Re: Check Your Supercharger!
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 08:44:07 PM »
40K on my supercharger, but this is good information to know.  Thanks.
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline ChopTop

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 09:00:59 PM »
Good info, should consider posting on all Kappa forums.

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2014, 11:13:56 PM »
Good post and excellent troubleshooting and DIY resolution!

Extra due diligence is required on all parts of forced induction.   Us mod freaks need to constantly remind ourselves of that