Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: oil filter change  (Read 3320 times)

Offline Rogue

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
oil filter change
« on: March 24, 2014, 08:14:06 AM »
I'm getting ready to do my first oil change on GXPsy. Previously they have all been done at the dealer. One quick question for those of you who have gone before me. Is it easier to remove/replace the oil filter from above, or below, the engine? Thanks.

Rogue
Go N.A.K.3.D..

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
Re: oil filter change
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 08:54:45 AM »
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline Rogue

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 09:36:32 AM »
Thanks TS. That's what I suspected, but figured it didn't hurt to ask first.
Go N.A.K.3.D..

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 11:02:25 AM »
TS if GJ asks this same question lets tell him from below okay?
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Nocte Malum

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 01:38:37 PM »
I'm getting ready to do my first oil change on GXPsy. Previously they have all been done at the dealer. One quick question for those of you who have gone before me. Is it easier to remove/replace the oil filter from above, or below, the engine? Thanks.

Rogue

Just as a tip, you need a 32mm standard on the short side, or stubby socket to get the cap off.  My setup is to use 2 wobble extensions, with a 32mm socket (my "normal" 32mm socket is a 1/2" Snap-On that's just too deep, so I got one from a local Sears that surprisingly had one that worked, for like $3).  Without the wobbles, some bracketing above gets in the way.  You can probably use a U-joint, but I find the wobble extensions work much better.

And don't overtorque it.  It's a very low torque.  Don't quote me on this but around 15 ft lbs, definitely under 20.  People often over torque and ruin the gasket and/or the cap as a result.

Offline Rogue

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2014, 01:44:19 PM »
Actually, I probably should have clarified the question, but I assumed (ah, there's the mistake) that everyone here would understand I was,'t asking the obvious. Once the cap has been removed and the filter cartridge lifted out of the block, do you continue to lift the assembly clear of the engine? Or do you find it easier and less likely to make a mess if you lower it down beside the engine to the ground? And of course, in my collection I have a 30 mm and a 34 mm, but no 32 mm! Looks like I'll be owning a 32 mm before the day is over.
Go N.A.K.3.D..

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2014, 01:55:41 PM »
Lift the filter element out from the top.  You can put some paper towels or rags down around the area if you want.

You might be able to use a 1 1/4 socket depending on the socket.  32mm=1.259"
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2014, 02:31:59 PM »
Once the cap has been removed and the filter cartridge lifted out of the block, do you continue to lift the assembly clear of the engine? Or do you find it easier and less likely to make a mess if you lower it down beside the engine to the ground?
Again, top.  I really don't thing there's room or space to lower it down.  You could just drop it, of course.  But that would be even more messy.  :slap:

You might be able to use a 1 1/4 socket depending on the socket.  32mm=1.259"
Yup - a 1 1/4" works fine.
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2014, 04:10:36 PM »
Just have a rag handy but it shouldn't leak as you pull it out.
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2014, 04:25:44 PM »
Yeah the procedure is way better than the old spin on filters where you'd have hot oil running down your arm as you spun off the old filter. Don't miss those days.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 05:00:19 PM by Sly Bob »
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline crisco

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
  • My Precious!
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2014, 04:50:29 PM »
By the time you wait for all the oil to be drained, when you go after the filter there is virtually no oil that drips down. I clean the rims or mess around with something else while waiting for the oil to drain. But I always take a rag with me, when I pull the filter.  :thumbs:
It is allot easier than I thought it would be!  :2c:
Oh yeah, I also use the box that the filter comes with and stick it in the box as I take it out of engine.  :)
My Precious! 2007  Solstice GXP, Aggressive, Santana Cup Holder, Beachparty Fuse Box Cover,DDM Backbone Brace, DDM Performance Probeam, DDM Latin Venom Brace, DDM Oil Catch Can (Red), DDM LNF Intake Tube (Red), DDM Radiator Hose (Red), Wind Restricter, Solo Performance Mach Shorty Exhaust,...more to come!

Offline 2kwk4u

• not really THAT quick
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
    • '06 Solstice bits and pieces photo gallery
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2014, 12:49:11 AM »
By the time you wait for all the oil to be drained, when you go after the filter there is virtually no oil that drips down. I clean the rims or mess around with something else while waiting for the oil to drain. But I always take a rag with me, when I pull the filter.  :thumbs:
It is allot easier than I thought it would be!  :2c:
Oh yeah, I also use the box that the filter comes with and stick it in the box as I take it out of engine.  :)

I do the same, but stuff an empty sandwich bag in the empty box first.  I also don't bother with wobble sockets or extensions.  Straight shot if you put the socket on the cap, then slide the extension through from above.

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2014, 01:07:31 AM »

I do the same, but stuff an empty sandwich bag in the empty box first.  I also don't bother with wobble sockets or extensions.  Straight shot if you put the socket on the cap, then slide the extension through from above.

Same process here. This is how to do it. There is NO other way. Anyone who says different is lying. They want you to fail. Don't fail. Listen to 2kwk.

:)
Make the right choices now

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2014, 01:28:15 AM »
... stuff an empty sandwich bag in the empty box first.

She doesn't mind?
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline crisco

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
  • My Precious!
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2014, 05:57:40 AM »

I like the baggy idea, I never had any leak problems, I just take that and put the box in a shopping bag and take to work with the oil. we reclaim the oil.
Yes Listen to 2kwk4u!   :thumbs:
My Precious! 2007  Solstice GXP, Aggressive, Santana Cup Holder, Beachparty Fuse Box Cover,DDM Backbone Brace, DDM Performance Probeam, DDM Latin Venom Brace, DDM Oil Catch Can (Red), DDM LNF Intake Tube (Red), DDM Radiator Hose (Red), Wind Restricter, Solo Performance Mach Shorty Exhaust,...more to come!

Offline Rogue

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2014, 07:30:49 AM »
Great input, guys. Thanks.
Go N.A.K.3.D..