Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: NEW Hahn Super 20g setup!  (Read 5454 times)

Offline ryansalazan

• Master Tech
NEW Hahn Super 20g setup!
« on: March 24, 2014, 12:24:34 PM »
So here is the story:

I have been trying hard to see what I can max out the stock turbo out at and Was successfully able to get 325RWHP out of it on a mustang dyno! I have full boltons except a catback exhaust.

I ended up buying a used 20g turbo off of a friend of mine. I found out later that it was broken and needed a whole new rebuild. I ended up rebuilding the turbo but at the same time with an extra added option, a Billet better flowing compressor wheel!! I run a methanol setup that sprays methanol before the throttle body and right before the turbo in the intake. With a billet wheel, it is stronger and lighter than the cast and can handle any dramatic temperate changes from the methanol at the compressor wheel.

I noticed a spool time very slightly quicker than the cast wheel as well. I'm really curious to see as to what can be achived with this new setup. This wheel has been said to make a 20% increase in air flow in a regular 20g. With the cast wheel setup on an evo, it made between a 30-40hp difference when ringed out all the way compared to a cast wheel.

I'm really hoping to see what kind of results can be had with this. Also with the better compressor wheel the spool sound is alot louder!

Offline Jim

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
Re: NEW Hahn Super 20g setup!
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 01:30:23 PM »
Are you planning any internal engine upgrades? I'm curious to see your results as I am ready to purchase an upgraded turbo and have searched and read and searched and read and am still undecided on which route to take. I'm leaning heaviest to the WR-2 as I don't plan on upgrading the engine internals but I wish there were more Kappas with WR-2's than there currently are because there's only a handful. I already have the Werks intercooler and pipes, Solo high flow cat and Trifecta tune with the cable and HP Tuners VCM Suite should arrive today to I will have the tuning platform(s) covered so my only dilemma is chosing which turbo to go with. I would like to get as close to 400/400 without tearing the engine apart and the WR-2 comes the closest without going over (on pump gas). I think the S20g can do more than 400/400 and I know that the WR-3 can but going from my 275/320 current setup, I should be happy going to the 390ish that the WR-2 has been shown to produce.

Looking forward to hearing your progress and results.
The road to success is always under construction.

Offline ryansalazan

• Master Tech
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 03:18:41 PM »
Are you planning any internal engine upgrades? I'm curious to see your results as I am ready to purchase an upgraded turbo and have searched and read and searched and read and am still undecided on which route to take. I'm leaning heaviest to the WR-2 as I don't plan on upgrading the engine internals but I wish there were more Kappas with WR-2's than there currently are because there's only a handful. I already have the Werks intercooler and pipes, Solo high flow cat and Trifecta tune with the cable and HP Tuners VCM Suite should arrive today to I will have the tuning platform(s) covered so my only dilemma is chosing which turbo to go with. I would like to get as close to 400/400 without tearing the engine apart and the WR-2 comes the closest without going over (on pump gas). I think the S20g can do more than 400/400 and I know that the WR-3 can but going from my 275/320 current setup, I should be happy going to the 390ish that the WR-2 has been shown to produce.

Looking forward to hearing your progress and results.

I was going to say I'm pretty sure the hahn 20g turbo can as long as you have all of the bolt ons that are needing to be installed. The tough part is getting that on pump gas. I've heard of a few people doing about 450rwhp on the hahn! and I also know that there is a lsj supercharged cobalt that has been converted to turbo with the hahn 20g and has dynod 472whp and 427wtq.

I believe to even puch the hahn 20g to its max, its probably a good idea to build internals. Maybe someone can chime in though on this? Has anyone taken a 20g on their setup over 27psi and run it daily on stock internals?

Offline ryansalazan

• Master Tech
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 03:23:21 PM »
By the way, is there anyone on here that had trouble with the wastegate on the compressor housing hitting the frame? It seems like the hahn 20g def isnt the best fitting bolt on turbo out there.

Offline Jim

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 04:48:30 PM »
The WR-2 and WR-3 both have a special "Kappa" wastegate bracket to the tune of an additional $55 and I assume it is for clearance issues. I've tried to get ZZP to sell me their ZFR which is the same as the WR-3 but they keep telling me they have to do one more in-house install before they can sell the parts due to interference issues with the wastegate so I'll most likely end up spending the extra coin ($454) on the WR-2 rather than waiting on eternity on ZZP plus Werks customer service has been top notch to date for me.

Maybe they will have a tax season sale....PAW - you NEED to have a tax season sale and include the WR-2.
The road to success is always under construction.

Offline ryansalazan

• Master Tech
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 12:09:57 AM »
The WR-2 and WR-3 both have a special "Kappa" wastegate bracket to the tune of an additional $55 and I assume it is for clearance issues. I've tried to get ZZP to sell me their ZFR which is the same as the WR-3 but they keep telling me they have to do one more in-house install before they can sell the parts due to interference issues with the wastegate so I'll most likely end up spending the extra coin ($454) on the WR-2 rather than waiting on eternity on ZZP plus Werks customer service has been top notch to date for me.

Maybe they will have a tax season sale....PAW - you NEED to have a tax season sale and include the WR-2.

Wait... so theres a wastegate without any clearence issues?! lol

Offline blackbirdracing

• Master Tech
  • Kappa Newb
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2014, 08:21:30 AM »
ZZP has to modify the wastegate of their ZFR to get it to fit the Kappas. 

The WR3 (werks efr) also needs this modified wasgate to fit the kappas.

Difference is, the WR3 is ready to go now for the kappa, and ZZP wants to do more installs before they "advertise" a kappa ready ZFR.

Offline GXP_Matt

• Tech
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2014, 09:03:55 AM »
FYI, the increased noise from the rebuilt turbo isn't from the billet wheel.  OEMs actually prefer billet wheels because they are quieter than cast wheels, assuming the balance levels are the same (this is critical).  So when you got the turbo rebuilt, it was balanced to a higher level than previously, so it is louder.  Also, a billet wheel is significantly stronger than a cast wheel ONLY if it was made from a forged blank.  If it's a cast billet that was then machined, it isn't stronger.  EFR compressor wheels are machined from forged blanks and they are designed for use on commercial diesel applications that have very high durability requirements (>1 million miles without failure).
2007 zero option GXP, SCCA A-Street
Full LNF Z0k conversion, Koni Yellows, Solo Race, SSR wheels, BF Goodrich Rivals in 245/40-18

2013 North Carolina Street Tire class champion

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2014, 11:47:17 AM »
I have a million mile without failure warranty as well. Just ask my Mom.
Make the right choices now

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2014, 01:11:37 PM »
What's her number?  Oh wait I think I still have it, never mind.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline ryansalazan

• Master Tech
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2014, 04:30:44 PM »
FYI, the increased noise from the rebuilt turbo isn't from the billet wheel.  OEMs actually prefer billet wheels because they are quieter than cast wheels, assuming the balance levels are the same (this is critical).  So when you got the turbo rebuilt, it was balanced to a higher level than previously, so it is louder.  Also, a billet wheel is significantly stronger than a cast wheel ONLY if it was made from a forged blank.  If it's a cast billet that was then machined, it isn't stronger.  EFR compressor wheels are machined from forged blanks and they are designed for use on commercial diesel applications that have very high durability requirements (>1 million miles without failure).

Ya its a billet wheel made out of a blank piece of billet material. But its def louder than stock thats for sure! The blade is also a completely different design vs the stock 20g blade. If I get a chance I'll try to post a picture a little later.

Offline ryansalazan

• Master Tech
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2014, 04:58:35 PM »
So just curious and bringing a dead thread alive again, What is everyone running boost wise on their 20g setup? I've heard from 26psi to 31psi. I'm running 22psi and I'm making pretty dang good power granted I also do have all of the supporting mods and what not. I ran a ZFR cobalt ss turbo a couple of weeks ago. He is fully bolted like me with methanol and E47 just like I am. The thing is is that he is running 27psi and has almost no drivetrain loss because of being FWD. Well we ran from a 60 roll and we were dead even... I'm 5psi less on a turbo thats about the same size and have major drivetrain loss compared to him and am just as fast??? How? lol His car runs well! and is tuned pretty aggressively with a good tuner.

This being said, it makes me curious to what would happen moving boost to 25psi. However, if he has already shown proof of a 404whp dyno and him and I are neck and neck, I'm thinking I should just leave the power alone before something on the stock motor gets mad at me. lol

Anyone with a hahn 20g can chime in?

Offline LatinVenom

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2014, 08:10:36 PM »
I believe Shabby has one, maybe you can PM him.
Solstice GXP 2007.
Aggressive and fully loaded.
Mods: Magnaflow 2.5" exhaust, DDM Backbone & ProBeam,ZOK suspension,LV Kappa Front Chassis Brace, BTF Turbo Upgraded Wheel, Windristrictor, JPM Center console,arms,tulip,side doors,DDM Upgraded wheel tune.

Offline ryansalazan

• Master Tech
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2014, 10:11:30 AM »
Ok I'll try looking for him. Also though what about anyone on a bnr turbo? What are your boost levels around?

Offline JoshMcMadMac

• Master Tech
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2014, 08:01:23 AM »
Ok I'll try looking for him. Also though what about anyone on a bnr turbo? What are your boost levels around?
24psi I think is the highest I have seen indicated mine. Remember that there is more to it than that, though. The BNR dyno numbers I have seen around here are between 350-375 WHP.

Offline ryansalazan

• Master Tech
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2014, 10:44:50 AM »
Well I think the BNR is a little bit smaller than the 20g am I right? that being said in most cases it takes more boost from a smaller less efficient turbo to make about the same power that a bigger more efficient turbo can.