Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Valve cover breather  (Read 1698 times)

Offline ryansalazan

• Master Tech
Valve cover breather
« on: April 01, 2014, 03:15:33 PM »
You big turbo guys out there, What are you using for valve cover pressure relief? Ever since I've put the hahn 20g turbo on, I have a smoking issue when I'm coasting in gear or not too long after I start to take off after a pull has already been made.

It seems like I have a bit of oil get into the combustion chamber and it gets combusted and makes a good bit of smoke after I have already done a pull or after a whole bunch of stop and goes. But mainly just after a pull when I return back to slow driving. I do already have a oil catch can, does anyone run a valve cover breather? Thanks guys

Offline Napi

• Master Tech
Re: Valve cover breather
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 12:29:37 AM »
It seems like I have a bit of oil get into the combustion chamber and it gets combusted and makes a good bit of smoke after I have already done a pull or after a whole bunch of stop and goes. But mainly just after a pull when I return back to slow driving.
The PCV in the intake manifold is literally a piece of crap. I was shocked when I removed mine... It neither seals 100% nor seems to be durable...

I do already have a oil catch can, does anyone run a valve cover breather? Thanks guys
Something comparable on my GT. Just take a Look at the "PCV and my Problem with it" thread I started in this subforum.

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 02:43:18 PM »
The PCV in the intake manifold is literally a piece of crap. I was shocked when I removed mine... It neither seals 100% nor seems to be durable...
If it doesn't seal, then it may be gummed-up.  Flush it with alcohol or MAF cleaner.  Mine seals very well (in one direction), but I keep it clean.  As for being durable, I've never seen one break.  I've seen them get stuck (needs cleaning - see above) and I've seen the intake nipple where it attaches break *numerous* times, but never seen the valve break.
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline Napi

• Master Tech
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 09:54:25 AM »
If it doesn't seal, then it may be gummed-up.  Flush it with alcohol or MAF cleaner.  Mine seals very well (in one direction), but I keep it clean.  As for being durable, I've never seen one break.  I've seen them get stuck (needs cleaning - see above) and I've seen the intake nipple where it attaches break *numerous* times, but never seen the valve break.

TS, I think you got me wrong on this one.
I`m not talking about the valve on the lower intake tube. I am talking about the internal PCV in the intake manifold itself. I removed mine and it did not close. I was curious about its "quality" and attached it to an air compressor, above 1bar you could hear the sound of air streaming through the closed valve... (as the NAK3D valve was tested I am sure it was not the o-ring on the outside...

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2014, 01:11:57 PM »
Oh, sorry, my bad.
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline Napi

• Master Tech
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2014, 02:52:56 PM »
Nevermind.

By the way, your instruction on the "way of cleaning" were really helpful. I couldn`t believe the amount of "whatevercrappystuff" being flushed out of it was real... :barf: