Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Seventeen-inch Wheels  (Read 2269 times)

Offline POS VETT

• Master Tech
  • AINT YRS
Seventeen-inch Wheels
« on: April 05, 2014, 03:37:55 PM »
I came across some R-compound DOT tires for cheap in 17" sizes. What would be the widest available out there in 5x110 PCD without going with custom wheels such as CCW? So far, I have found the widest at only 8".

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
Re: Seventeen-inch Wheels
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 08:15:04 AM »
I suppose they are available SOMEWHERE cause it seems anything is if your willing to spend the bucks. A REALLY quick look found these Forgestar wheels but you said you didn't want to go custom.

http://www.forgestar.com/v2/wheelsf14.php

I remember when we went to Wades Garage  few years ago, he puts wider wheels and tires on the rear of SolBra that he builds. He does that by putting the stock wheel on the lathe, cutting it in half and welding it back up with a collar to make the wheel wider.

Looks stock but you have the advantage of the wider tires to handle the power those cars can put down. Seems to me he said at the time you could do it for $100 a wheel.

Need clearance for big brakes?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 01:31:37 PM by Sly Bob »
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 12:49:38 PM »
SlyBob,

Did you forget to read his post?
Make the right choices now

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 01:33:45 PM »
 :idk:   Why Steve?

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline POS VETT

• Master Tech
  • AINT YRS
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2014, 08:35:35 PM »
Forgestar is considered custom. Several available widths which come as they are, however the PCD and offset are customizable.

I'm just looking for something available over the counter and cheap. Tire size is a mere 225-45-17, but I'd like to put them on 9" wide wheels if possible. I'm entertaining the idea of running C4 Sawblade wheels in 17x9.5 or C5 wagon wheels in 17x8.5; both with adapters to alter offset and PCD. The problem is, while everything is easy to acquire, the higher cost.

Brake clearance is not a problem, I run stock brakes.

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 07:15:48 AM »
...but you said you didn't want to go custom.

Yeah I knew Forgestar would be considered custom as I mentioned in my first post but as you mentioned POS VETT, there isn't a lot available. As you said, adapter plates if you could find a wheel with another bolt pattern but yeah, it adds cost

Even if you picked up a set of used 17" wheels off of a Malibu , G6 or a Saab and widened them with a ring it's still not gonna be cheap I wouldn't think.

That's a tough one.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 07:23:28 AM by Sly Bob »

Offline POS VETT

• Master Tech
  • AINT YRS
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2014, 08:14:55 AM »
I guess I'm going to have to settle with aftermarket since, I think, the OEM wheels are 7" wide or less. Oh well, I'll search some more and probably decide next week.

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2014, 08:22:43 AM »
This is what I meant when I mentioned adding a ring to widen them. Wade's Garage does this to all the V8 conversions he does if the customer wants to keep the stock wheel look on the car.

Offline POS VETT

• Master Tech
  • AINT YRS
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2014, 09:21:31 AM »
That's an expensive process, WeldCraft charges a lot for widening a wheel and total for shipping alone is over $200. Several years ago, I wanted to create a set of OEM C6Z06 wheels with 19x13 for the rear. My idea was to send WeldCraft four 19x12 wheels and have them lop off the inner barrels, switch them around, and weld them up. The goal was a pair of 19x13 & a pair of 19x10.5 or 10.75. There was no double welds since there is no additional ring needed.

The cost for this was nearly $900 on top of the cost acquiring a second used set of C6 Z06 wheels and it didn't include the cost for refinishing the set. I threw away the idea and got a set of CCW instead.

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2014, 09:33:09 AM »
Yeah it's definately not a cheap way to go but some of us might have to look at this down the road as we try to fit wider tires on the car. Certainly a few years ago there were a lot more options.