Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Tip: Tool for removing spring-type hose clamps  (Read 14680 times)

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
Tip: Tool for removing spring-type hose clamps
« on: April 13, 2014, 07:05:06 PM »
Probably most of you already know this, and it's only me that used to struggle with getting the spring-type (or "constant pressure") hose clamps off with regular or needle nose pliers, but in case you didn't know...

I had to go to my daughter's college yesterday to fix a bust coolant hose on her car, an older Honda Accord.  While researching the issue I found a couple of videos on youtube where one guy was using bent-tip pliers to remove the hose clamps - these were the spring-type (or "constant pressure") clamps.  So I stopped off at Harbor Freight to get a cheap pair (less than $5 - get the 90 degree bend ones, not the 45 or 60 degree).  Well, I have to say they were worth their weight in gold.  Made what I've usually found to be a really frustrating job, extremely easy, so just passing this along.  Now I know that there are special pliers available for just this job, but these are cheaper and usable for other things as well.  These are what I mean, available from HF, many parts stores, Sears etc...

... and the clamps I'm talking about...
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
Re: Tip: Tool for removing spring-type hose clamps
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 01:11:41 AM »
Always a great thing to have around.
Make the right choices now

Offline crisco

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
  • My Precious!
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 06:01:34 AM »
Wished I researched last week. broke two of them. One replacing the upper radiator hose, Red One, and the small hose the one that we take off to Burp the Kappa!
My Precious! 2007  Solstice GXP, Aggressive, Santana Cup Holder, Beachparty Fuse Box Cover,DDM Backbone Brace, DDM Performance Probeam, DDM Latin Venom Brace, DDM Oil Catch Can (Red), DDM LNF Intake Tube (Red), DDM Radiator Hose (Red), Wind Restricter, Solo Performance Mach Shorty Exhaust,...more to come!

Offline blackbirdracing

• Master Tech
  • Kappa Newb
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 07:40:46 AM »

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 07:46:16 AM »
Thanks guys, looks like I need to go shopping.
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 08:58:34 AM »
I use these...  Its what's your supposed to use.

http://m.sears.com/index-g.html#/productdetails/00947390000P?partnumber=00947390000P
Yes.  Like I said...

[...]  Now I know that there are special pliers available for just this job, but these are cheaper and usable for other things as well. 
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline blackbirdracing

• Master Tech
  • Kappa Newb
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 09:01:23 AM »
Yeah, wait til you find a clamp that's turned around the wrong way and you can't get on them with those pliers.

I have used angled needle nose forever on these. They work good.

But these cable ones have a locking position that just makes it so easy.