Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Provent 200 install  (Read 4222 times)

Offline Helios

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Play Hard; Drive Harder!
Provent 200 install
« on: April 21, 2014, 11:17:32 PM »
As many of you know there are a few of us out there with S/C kits that have had a continual problem with oil getting into the charge tubes and intercooler because the OEM PCV system sucks on the 2.4L LE5 engine. This may also be the case for people with aftermarket turbo setups as well. I tried a few things which didn't work and with Napi starting his own thread and install of his Provent 200, I elected to also install one in the hopes of solving our insufficient PCV system once and for all. Napi's install is a bit different because he is a 2.0L LNF and also the location of his Provent 200 will not work for those of us with DDM's power steering relocation kit. He also welded an aluminium dash-connector onto his valve cover which I didn't want to do because mine has a nice powdercoat on it already. I also want to continue to use DDM's OCC since I already have it and use it as a second air/ oil separator chamber.

Choosing the Provent 200 was a no brainer once I learned of it from Napi's install because it has a cover with an integrated pressure relief valve, a control valve on the outlet side, and a replaceable filter element if the inside were to get soaked with oil. So, if the pressure is ever too great within the system, the Provent should vent the excess pressure out through its top cover. Read more about it here:

https://www.mann-hummel.com/fileadmin/user_upload/service/catalogues/pdf/ProVent_en_2013.pdf

Bill of Materials for this install:
1)   Provent 200
2)   MBR003-10AN valve cover adapter
3)   ¾” MPT x ½” barb adapter (for Provent inlet/outlet) – qty 2 – from Home Depot (Orbit brand name)
4)   ½”x ½”x ½” barb “T” fitting – qty 1 – from Home Depot (Orbit brand name)
5)   ½” barb elbow (for MBR003-10AN valve cover adapter ) – qty 1 – from Home Depot (Orbit brand name) 
6)   3/8” fuel line hose – approx. 10 feet
7)   small hose clamps – qty 8
8)   3/8” rubber vacuum grommet – qty 1
9)   Aluminum plate  1/8” thk – 10.5” x 6”
10)   ¼”-20x 1”L SS HHCS – qty 2
11)   ¼”-20 flat washer – qty 3
12)   ¼”-20 lock washer – qty 3
13)   ¼”-20 SS hex nut – qty 2
14)   Unknown screw (metric?) to mount bracket – qty 1
15)   JB Kwikweld – 1 pkg
16)   High temp sealant (to seal the OEM PCV plate shut) - 1 tube

Napi's Provent 200 location shown below:
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 06:34:06 AM by Helios »
"Gwyneth"
V8 swap in progress
RPi GT/ SOLO Exhaust

Offline Helios

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
Re: Provent 200 install
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 11:24:14 PM »
First thing I did a while back was to remove the intake manifold (pic#1) and seal the PCV plate (pic#2). I let it dry and reinstalled it. This was to make sure no oil got back into the intake manifold. I used slvrsky07's PCV mod on the Sky forum to help guide me through it.

http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f25/2-4l-turbo-pcv-mod-oil-catch-can-actually-works-37951/
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 09:40:40 AM by Helios »
"Gwyneth"
V8 swap in progress
RPi GT/ SOLO Exhaust

Offline Helios

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 11:31:00 PM »
Next thing I had to do was find a location to mount the Provent. It seemed that the only available space was on the driver's side of the engine compartment and it also helped that our valve cover bung fitting is also on that side. I saw an available space with an available anchor nut to use (pic#1) and made measurements to design a mounting bracket (pic#2). Forgive my chicken scratch design. They normally look a lot more professional than what I designed on the fly with scratch paper and a pencil.
"Gwyneth"
V8 swap in progress
RPi GT/ SOLO Exhaust

Offline Helios

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 11:39:57 PM »
I used a scrap piece of 1/8" thick aluminum I had laying around to fabricate the bracket. I used some JB weld to fill in where I bent the bracket to get the proper angle I needed for the base of it to sit onto the rail and for the top of the bracket to be horizontal to the ground. There are only 3 holes that need to be drilled and I drilled them to fit 1/4"-20 hardware. Ignore the extra holes that were already part of my scrap piece of aluminum. I painted it black after it was finished and it came out looking like this (pic#1). Installed in the car (pic#2). The screw that fit the anchor nut is of an unknown size, but I think it was a metric screw that I got from a TV wall mount kit that I had spare hardware left over. I also used a flat and lock washer on the screw to mount the bracket.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 10:16:02 AM by Helios »
"Gwyneth"
V8 swap in progress
RPi GT/ SOLO Exhaust

Offline Helios

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 11:50:14 PM »
I had to buy some fittings to reduce the Provent's inlet and outlet from 1" to 1/2". I used a Dremel tool to gring down the fittings to allow them to fit the inlet and outlet of the Provent and used JB weld to glue them in place. I sourced all of my fittings from Home Depot.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 07:26:41 AM by Helios »
"Gwyneth"
V8 swap in progress
RPi GT/ SOLO Exhaust

Offline Helios

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 12:09:06 AM »
I used a 3/8" rubber vacuum grommet and a small hose clamp to block of the bottom drain/ oil return of the Provent because I did not want to return any potentially contaminated oil back into the system (as Napi advised) plus plumbing a return back into the system is more work than it's worth, IMO. Then, I installed it on the mounting bracket using qty-2 1/4"-20x1"L SS HHCS, flat washers, lock washers, and hex nuts. Make sure to orient the Provent so the fittings are angled as depicted (pics#2 and 3).
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 10:15:43 AM by Helios »
"Gwyneth"
V8 swap in progress
RPi GT/ SOLO Exhaust

Offline Helios

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 12:28:04 AM »
I also ordered the MBR0003-10AN valve cover adapter and a PRE-21090BLK -10 AN 90 Degree Push Lock Swivel Hose. I found out that the -10 AN 90deg fitting and the valve cover adapter were too tall together and the hood would hit it before it closed fully. So, I had to buy a different 90deg fitting also bought from Home Depot. I had to burr out the inside of the Home Depot fitting for it to fit on the valve cover adapter and then I JB welded the two together. Make sure you test fit it first before you JB weld because there is very little clearance for the new combo fitting to screw into the valve cover. In my picture the valve cover adapter is screwed down completely and the 90deg fitting is oriented to a 3o'clock position (I would actually orient the fitting just a little more clockwise past the 3o'clock position to be safe).
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 05:50:12 AM by Helios »
"Gwyneth"
V8 swap in progress
RPi GT/ SOLO Exhaust

Offline Helios

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 12:31:00 AM »
Ran out of time tonight to continue. More to follow.
"Gwyneth"
V8 swap in progress
RPi GT/ SOLO Exhaust

Offline Napi

• Master Tech
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2014, 05:39:38 AM »
Quite a good place to install the provent!
Though the Provent may become significantly hotter you sure did shorten the length of the needed hoses!

Can`t wait to see the next bunch of pics! :urock:

Offline NormSky

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2014, 09:20:16 AM »
Nice write up! When I purchased my Sky the Hahn turbo 2.4 was ready installed. The PCV was circumvented with a filter. With 55K miles and no problems.

Adding an intake to the Turbo Verano I did similarly as I know the mess that pcv can do to the intakes passages of the DI engine.
07 Sky Hahn Boosted - 44 MPG  40 mpg with air conditioning on.

Offline Helios

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2014, 06:40:58 AM »
Finished the install yesterday, routed all the hoses (cut to length to suit), and made all of the connections. I used a little WD40 to lube up all of the fittings because the hoses are tight to push on. I actually took the Provent off of its bracket to attach its hoses first, mounted it back on the bracket, and then routed the hoses to their respective destinations. In the first pic you can see the two hoses from the valve cover go into a 1/2"x1/2"x1/2" "T" fitting, and then into the inlet side (top fitting) of the Provent. The outlet (bottom fitting) of the Provent is then attached to a fitting on the DDM OCC (second pic). The other fitting on the DDM OCC is then attached to the fitting that is downstream of the air intake filter.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 06:36:37 AM by Helios »
"Gwyneth"
V8 swap in progress
RPi GT/ SOLO Exhaust

Offline Helios

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2014, 06:47:41 AM »
Unfortunately, I won't be able to run the car until late tonight or tomorrow because there is some sealant that I'm waiting on to dry. I'll post the results from the initial startup and then follow-up in this thread with how much oil (if any) is being caught by the Provent in mileage increments of some sort.
"Gwyneth"
V8 swap in progress
RPi GT/ SOLO Exhaust

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2014, 08:28:14 AM »
Looking forward to seeing what your results are.
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline Helios

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2014, 09:17:38 AM »
I updated the first post to include a bill of materials for everything I used in this project.
"Gwyneth"
V8 swap in progress
RPi GT/ SOLO Exhaust

Offline Helios

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2014, 06:48:06 AM »
Started her up last night and test drove for 75 miles through a full range of RPMs and gears. Took her all the way up to 120MPH at one point; then backed off. She ran real well. I popped the cap off the Provent when I got home and did notice a small amount of oil residue in the canister. So far, I am pleased with the install and haven't noticed any ill effects from the new plumbing.
"Gwyneth"
V8 swap in progress
RPi GT/ SOLO Exhaust

Offline Napi

• Master Tech
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2014, 02:18:12 AM »
The residue in my provent (the attached cc) is mostly water(I'd say ~90% water).
Same in your Provent?!

Offline Helios

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2014, 06:46:21 AM »
The residue in my provent (the attached cc) is mostly water(I'd say ~90% water).
Same in your Provent?!

Actually mine is catching oil it seems. The filter has started to brown a little. I've only driven it for about 400 miles since the install so there's no significant accumulation as of yet.
"Gwyneth"
V8 swap in progress
RPi GT/ SOLO Exhaust