Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Those with HHR rearview mirrors, don't put up with the dim yellow maplights!  (Read 8545 times)

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
Those of you that have installed the HHR rearview mirrors (with autodimming, OnStar, compass AND maplights), you may be disappointed with the dim and yellow light from the map/cabin light LEDs.  If you are a reasonable hand with a soldering iron, this is to show how to replace the original LEDs with much brighter and whiter LEDs.  Note, the LEDs are surface mount, and not the easiest things to solder, so if you are worried about that, stop reading now!

First, you have to get yourself some replacement LEDs!  The ones that come in the mirror are 3.5mm square, surface mount LEDs, running at probably 2700K color temp (or maybe even lower).  I didn't want the ultra blue-white LEDs, so I chose to go with 4000K, which is white color, but still with a slight warm cast.  I used Phillips/Luxeon 3535L LEDs, they are very bright and available in color temps from 2700K all the way to 6500K. You may wish to use something in the 5000 or 5700K range, but that's up to you. I bought them from Digi-key - cost was just $0.46 each LED (I got 3 in case I needed a spare) plus about $3 USPS post shipping. So with a total under $5, it won't break the bank!  This link should take you to the filtered shortlist at Digi-key, for the LEDs from 4000-6500K - click on the part number in the column toward the left, to order your choice: Digi-key LEDs page

OK, after a few days, your LEDs should come in, so time to take your mirror apart.  The mirror bezel is simply clipped to the plastic body by 12 clips around the edge.  Use a plastic pry tool (like for an iPhone) or maybe a small screwdriver wrapped in tape, to push in at the seam angled toward the body. Start at the bottom right and go all the way round, releasing each clip in turn.  The green arrows on this photo show where the clips are:

Once the front and back are apart, undo the 3-wire pigtail connector from the main board and set the mirror, bezel and main board out of the way.  Next, undo the two T8 torx screws, marked "1" below.  With the LED board loose, you'll need to unclip the plastic lenses from the bottom.  Wiggle the board and reflector out of the way backward as much as possible and press hard against the clip marked "2".  Takes some effort (DON'T break it!) but once it's free the lens will pop out from below.  Repeat for "3".

Once the lenses are out, you'll be able to wiggle the LED circuit board out from the mirror body - the rubber buttons will bend.  Unclip the reflector assembly from the board so you can get at the LEDs.  I took the rubber buttons off too, but you probably don't really need to.  This is the board with all the 'bits' removed.  The cathode/negative sides of the LEDs, are towards the middle of the board (see the thicker lines on the silkscreen):

Now the MOST difficult part - removing the old LEDs.  I found the best way was to use two soldering irons to melt the solder - one in each hand and on each side of the LED (in green circles below), then 'tweezer' the LED off the board between the irons.  Your method may vary.  The board itself is pretty tough, there's a lot of copper to act as heat sinks for the LEDs, and if you damage the LEDs themselves, it doesn't matter since you're replacing them anyway!

This is what it looks like with the left LED removed:

Now you can solder the new LEDs on. The Luxeon LEDs have one corner indented on the cathode side, so those corner indents should be oriented toward the middle of the board.  I cut a thin strip of masking tape to keep the LED in place while I soldered each side.  Just touch your iron to the exposed pad area on the board to melt the solder and the LED should settle in.

This photo shows the LEDs lit, after replacing just the right hand one.  You can see the LED is MUCH brighter and whiter than the original.  To test the board at each stage (recommended) just poke a piece of thin single-core wire into the loose end of the pigtail connector and connect them to a 12V power supply - actually a 9V battery should work too.  Red wire is +12V and black wire is ground.  Short the white wire (middle pin) to ground to turn both LEDs on, or leave the white wire unconnected and use the buttons to turn each LED on individually.

Then, as they say, "assembly is the reverse of dis-assembly"!

That's all folks. (Cross-posted on all three fora, 'cos not all read every forum.)
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
nice job, stuck thread

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
Hmmm, I thought the lights in my HHR mirror were a cool white and a similar color to my cool white footwell lighting.

Have to have another look.

Nice post Mark.
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
nice job, stuck thread

Not stuck here, workin' fine.    :poke:

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline 2kwk4u

• not really THAT quick
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
    • '06 Solstice bits and pieces photo gallery
Damn you, TS!  Here I was all satisfied with the HHR mirror lights I used in my mirror mod.  Now when I look at this picture, all I see is mis-matched lighting when comparing the light from my mirror LEDs to my footwell LEDs.

Thanks alot!  :poke:

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
Heheh.  You're welcome!  Yeah, that's exactly why I finally got around to changing mine. :)

Think of it this way... Here's your chance of going ALL blue!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 10:44:02 PM by TomatoSoup »
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
That's what I find bizarre with this. I took a picture when I installed my footwell lights and the colour hue from the footwell lights was the same as the HHR lights. The camera would have picked it up and I would see the difference if there was if fact a difference between the two on my car. I wonder if there is different revisions for the HHR mirror to explain the differences in colour that some are seeing.

Offline scanner

• Master Tech
TS: Great Mod & Post!  Clear Skies!
Scanner