Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Performance Autowerks WR-3 Turbo  (Read 11662 times)

Offline Jim

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
Performance Autowerks WR-3 Turbo
« on: April 28, 2014, 03:46:19 PM »
UPS dropped this off today. I am hoping that I will be able to get it installed tomorrow and then work on the tuning with Nick. He has already sent me a tune and config file so if all goes well, I should be sending him a log file around 4pm. [ Guests cannot view attachments ]
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 04:47:30 PM by Jim »
The road to success is always under construction.

Offline cdflint

• Master Tech
Re: Performance Autowerks WR-3 Turbo
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 08:00:29 PM »
Wait, that's it??

It looks like you could install that in your sleep. Please show install pics. Is that the EFR 6758 version?
She's an 09 Brazen GXP.

Covered by Norms Fiberglass, DDM, WERKS, KappaSphere, Trifecta performance, Dejon performance, Solo performance, Magnaflow, Hahn, VDI, B&G, ASAP, WindRestrictor, Gravana, JPM, Santana, Madmod, HID pro, Second Skin Audio, mydipkit, Automotivetouchup.com and Smoothline.

To be or not to be hard, that is the question. I prefer my top off and still hard when I need it.

Offline Jim

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 08:29:03 PM »
Wait, that's it??

It looks like you could install that in your sleep. Please show install pics. Is that the EFR 6758 version?

Yes it's the EFR6758 version and installation should be a piece of cake unless I run into some SNAFU. I'll try to do pics as I progress through the installation. PAW charges 5 hours for the installation so I'm assuming it should take 4 at a nice easy pace.

Offline LatinVenom

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 08:18:51 PM »
Your biggest hurdle is the exhaust system bolts from the turbo to the Catalytic converter.
Specially if you do not have a lift, also have some bucket underneath the turbo, so when you take the water supply line out, it does not go all over you and the ground.
Solstice GXP 2007.
Aggressive and fully loaded.
Mods: Magnaflow 2.5" exhaust, DDM Backbone & ProBeam,ZOK suspension,LV Kappa Front Chassis Brace, BTF Turbo Upgraded Wheel, Windristrictor, JPM Center console,arms,tulip,side doors,DDM Upgraded wheel tune.

Offline Jim

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 11:34:55 PM »
The entire R&R went pretty smooth. I have a 35 foot long pit - actually 7 of them at my disposal. The part that took the longest was trimming the exhaust header heat shield as I didn't want to trim too much at once. No leaks, no drips and after priming it, it fired right up. I'll post some pics tomorrow. The PAW instructions leave a LOT to be desired....

Offline Jim

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014, 11:25:18 AM »
Here's a few pics of the installation:
Old turbo removed: [ Guests cannot view attachments ]
New oil fitting/line location: [ Guests cannot view attachments ]
Turbo comparison: [ Guests cannot view attachments ]
Trimmed heat shield (had to trim a bit more than this): [ Guests cannot view attachments ]
Turbo in place (notice extra trimming of shield): [ Guests cannot view attachments ]
Oil inlet and compressor outlet plumbed: [ Guests cannot view attachments ]
Complete: [ Guests cannot view attachments ]
Complete closeup: [ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2014, 01:02:27 PM »
Looks nice and clean.
Dynos before and after? :D
Dragula  ;) Opel GT  from Romania
Arabas: take fotos, videos and keep all girls locked inside the house. Kelu's charm is irresistible !!!!

Offline Jim

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2014, 01:33:27 PM »
Looks nice and clean.
Dynos before and after? :D

Thanks Kelu!

I'm going to ask my wife to buy me a dyno for my birthday so I'll have one. I've got the space for it and I figure for the price of another Sky, I could have one  :D There's no dyno around here for at least 200 miles but I wish there was.

Offline L-N-Fn

• Tech
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2014, 01:59:03 PM »
Jim, very nice looking install.  To make my EFR fit my Garrett manifold I had to cut and beat the hell out of my heat shield.  It was hard to tell in the pictures, Is the waste gate actuator rod bent?  How did you plum the valve cover vent, the one towards the front of the engine? 
Coupe 993 5mt. GMPP CAI, GMPP tune+ HPT, 3 inch catless ext. Dejon cooler and Piping, AME water meth, Garrett Manifold, EFR 6758, Werks springs, 2010 lifters, 5th injector,E43, CCW Werks rims285 front-305 rear PScup's. Zok cross member, sway bars, back bone, LVFB. 407 WHP.

Offline Jim

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2014, 02:25:51 PM »
Thanks L-N-Fn! Yes the wastegate rod is bent. (two ~45 degree angles) In the last 2 photos, you'll see a black rubber hose that is connected to the front valve cover vent and is running back towards the firewall. It loops back towards the front of the car underneath the engine cover and connects to a fitting on the stock intake next to the fitting that is already on the intake.

Offline kwtoxman

• Master Tech
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2014, 02:44:19 PM »
Love the stealth look. Awesome. The way I'd do it.
:ca2:

Offline Jim

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2014, 03:29:15 PM »
Thanks kwtoxman! The only thing I might want to change about it is the silicone adapter. The piece that PAW sent didn't come close to meeting my charge pipe and they said it would. It was about 3" short of being long enough but luckily I had an an adapter that was beaded on both ends and was 3.5" long and it fit like it was made for it. I will search around and see if a 2" to 2.5" 90 degree elbow is available with a 6 or 7" leg on the 2.5" side from siliconeintakes.com or some other place. The only thing it would really do for me would eliminate 2 clamps and it's no big deal if one is not available.

Offline cdflint

• Master Tech
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2014, 05:06:44 PM »
Very nice and stealthy!!! Let us  know your butt dyno when driven. Was is 4 hours to install? and did you need to jack it up to get underneath?
She's an 09 Brazen GXP.

Covered by Norms Fiberglass, DDM, WERKS, KappaSphere, Trifecta performance, Dejon performance, Solo performance, Magnaflow, Hahn, VDI, B&G, ASAP, WindRestrictor, Gravana, JPM, Santana, Madmod, HID pro, Second Skin Audio, mydipkit, Automotivetouchup.com and Smoothline.

To be or not to be hard, that is the question. I prefer my top off and still hard when I need it.

Offline Jim

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2014, 05:15:24 PM »
Thanks cdflint! Removal of the old turbo and accessories took 2 hours. Installation of the new turbo, accessories, coolant refill/bleed and oil change took 3 hours so a total of 5 hours start to finish and it felt like I was actually taking my time doing everything. I had the car on a pit so there was no need to jack anything up which probably saved me a little bit of time.

I'm working on tuning with Nick now and haven't beat on it yet but I can tell you that when it starts building boost that it sounds like a jet engine and not because of any boost leaks.... Everything went together relatively easy and after 30 miles of driving so far, there's no leaks, no drips, no hiccups so I'm very happy so far.

Offline 50willie

• Tech
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2014, 05:18:50 PM »
Any engine internals done? Expected hp? Install times.

Offline Jim

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2014, 05:35:06 PM »
No internal engine mods though I will do the valve springs and lifters in the near future. Will most likely install a meth injection system as well. With a non-aggressive tune, I'm hoping to be somewhere around 375whp. Removal time of old setup = 2 hours. Installation time of new setup = 3 hours which included coolant refill/bleed and an oil change.

Offline LatinVenom

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2014, 05:52:24 PM »
Glad every thing went well.
I would send PAW (Dave) a message making sure he knows about that intake elbow.
Great looking setup, hope it Dyno in the 375 400 WHP as it should for an EFR6758.
Solstice GXP 2007.
Mods: Magnaflow 2.5" exhaust, DDM Backbone & ProBeam,ZOK suspension,LV Kappa Front Chassis Brace, BTF Turbo Upgraded Wheel, Windristrictor, JPM Center console,arms,tulip,side doors,DDM Upgraded wheel tune.

Offline Jim

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2014, 11:13:04 AM »
I sent Dave a message this morning so he will be aware when future customers ask and if my birthday wish is granted, I will have some dyno numbers to report though I'm thinking that I'll end up with some new cologne.... :)

Offline ChopTop

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2014, 11:28:44 AM »
OldSchool just posted this thread on his EFR6758 install on the BB, Dyno graph pic in thread:
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f63/efr6758-dyno-results-100-octane-91058/

100 Octane 463WHP, 443TQ.  Boost will be dialed back to a more stock internals friendly 400HP.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 11:32:31 AM by ChopTop »

Offline Jim

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2014, 01:21:41 PM »
Same setup as mine though I'm running the Werks intercooler. I don't plan on going above 23-24psi and the only other mods that I do plan to do are the valve springs and lifters and possibly add a meth kit.

I did purchase a silicone elbow to replace my current setup and get rid of the 2 additional clamps. For anyone going the WR-3 or ZFR route, the elbow connecting the compressor outlet to the CAC tube needs to have a minimum of 4" legs (the one PAW supplies has 2" legs or 3.5" center to end). Many manufacturers list their lengths differently so if they measure from center-to-end, 6" would be what you need. [ Guests cannot view attachments ]
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 01:30:25 PM by Jim »

Offline LatinVenom

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2014, 05:11:50 PM »
Jim,
You should post where you got yours, so others can at least get it, if PAW does not upgrade the one with his kit.
Solstice GXP 2007.

Offline Jim

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2014, 07:55:30 PM »
Cheapest I found this one was on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/181337699765?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Another one of the same dimensions is available from intakehoses.com and is part number R90B-200-250. It is just a bit cheaper with shipping but they didn't take Paypal so I went the eBay route.

Offline L-N-Fn

• Tech
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2014, 12:16:09 AM »
Jim here's a couple of idea's for you, I got the elbow from Dave. My modified waste gate actuator bracket has been working for three years.
Coupe 993 5mt. GMPP CAI, GMPP tune+ HPT, 3 inch catless ext. Dejon cooler and Piping, AME water meth, Garrett Manifold, EFR 6758, Werks springs, 2010 lifters, 5th injector,E43, CCW Werks rims285 front-305 rear PScup's. Zok cross member, sway bars, back bone, LVFB. 407 WHP.

Offline Jim

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2014, 10:42:53 AM »
Looks great L-N-Fn! Now that I have the elbow coming, I may get the steel or aluminum transition piece between the stock intake and compressor housing to get rid of the plastic.

Offline Jim

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2014, 03:58:11 PM »
Got the new silicone elbow today to replace this: [ Guests cannot view attachments ]

New elbow (had to cut 3" from 2" leg) : [ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Installed (eliminated 2 clamps): [ Guests cannot view attachments ]