Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Another Winter (Arizona) storage  (Read 2010 times)

Offline cdflint

• Master Tech
Another Winter (Arizona) storage
« on: May 03, 2014, 12:46:37 PM »
Another great season of driving in Arizona is coming to an end and time to go back on the blocks for summer storage. I hope for those of you who are now gearing up for summertime have fun in the sun. While tucked away avoiding our sun, I must complete the mod tasks that I purchased but have not added on or fixed items I've found along the way.

TO DO LIST:

1.  Headlight re-modification. When I originally purchased my projector headlights they came with a carbon fiber vinyl in them. While I liked the look, over time, they have bubbled too noticeably to let it go. I initially obtained more vinyl but thought the dip method CF from the parts I bought from Madmod look so much more custom. I figured lets try it. I looked around and called a few local companies and I never received a call back to do the work. In my internet research I found a do it yourself kit at mydipkit.com. There are several companies out there but their kit for what you get seems most reasonable. Then I knew I needed to crack open the headlights again and I figured I would fix the LED's that were straight shine rather than side shine. I found LED strips on ebay that made more of a neon tube type look with a turn signal switchback. The only drawback is the silicone tube it is in is white and I'm not sure how it will stick out. It won't matter when the car lights are on but just concerned on their look when off.  Also changing out the CCFL halo's to LED Morimoto style (extra bright).

2. Fix side skirts. While washing one day I accidentally pushed in the side grill. It is still held on by a bolt and it needs to be reset and sealed on the inside with a silicone for noise (rattles because it's loose). I also need to obtain more 3m tape from Norm. I tried purchasing 3m tape locally but it did not adhere as Norms tape did originally. I removed for fender removal of the battery and once you pull it off, it's done. No re-taping.

3.  Rear differential leak. Driving this winter and spring has been great and no issues. Having her sit in one spot I noticed a 2x2 inch spot under the differential. I'm hoping it is just the pinion seal that seems to plague so many of our cars. Shopping around to find a reasonable shop to fix. QUESTION: what is the best fluid to replace with?

4.  Turn signal mirrors. I have one in on the drivers side but not connected. I need to set the passenger side and wire both in.

5.  Ghost lights install. Again, I have one in on the drivers side but not connected. I need to set the passenger side and wire both in. Will connect 4&5 when #8 is being done.

6.  Install MGP caliper covers. Jack it up and put them on.

7.  Install the TS motion sensor. Again, I made it, I just need to install it.

8.  Custom interior. I purchased the leather awhile back but was not nearly enough to fill the whole interior. I thought about saving money and buying an ostrich leather look in vinyl for the areas behind the seats and other plastic parts that are not showing too much. Use the real leather on the doors, dash, visors and center console. I ordered a sample of the vinyl to see how it matches up.

9.  Raise the B&G's 3/4 inch. It looks good low but with the 19" wheels, even with the 3mm adapters, they rub on hard cornering. Then get alignment.

10.  Remove the Kappa rebar and place the DDM probeam. Rebar hits the magnaflow exhaust even grinding it down and I hate it.

WISHLIST:

I have two houses to remodel to rent out and it is taking all fun money until they are rented but I still would like:

1.  EFR 6758. Either PAW's W3 version or  ZZP's ZFR or find a garret manifold and obtain a raw 6758. I like PAW's products and I'm leaning towards theirs but sometimes life presents other options.
2.  I thought about getting the sound deadener kit from Don but I'm leaving my 3rd email to him for a quote.
3.  Single valve springs to handle an upgraded turbo
4. Upgrade timing chain tensioner
5. Local body shop to correct the gaps on the hood to the car (I never could set it right) and mold in the side skirts to the car and repaint. I love my pieces from Norm but I never made them right the first time so I always see the minor flaws (gaping the hood is an art). Its the car shows and the people at Nationals that pick it off right away. I just want to tweak it for a better show.
6.  Upgrade brake pads and maybe rotors to a slotted version - suggestions?
7.  Change rear view mirror to an HHR version.

I'm sure I will find an old thread and find I have not changed something else, but that's it for now. I'll take pictures of progress as I've added on and see you out in the fall...
She's an 09 Brazen GXP.

Covered by Norms Fiberglass, DDM, WERKS, KappaSphere, Trifecta performance, Dejon performance, Solo performance, Magnaflow, Hahn, VDI, B&G, ASAP, WindRestrictor, Gravana, JPM, Santana, Madmod, HID pro, Second Skin Audio, mydipkit, Automotivetouchup.com and Smoothline.

To be or not to be hard, that is the question. I prefer my top off and still hard when I need it.

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
Re: Another Winter (Arizona) storage
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2014, 02:49:11 PM »
All in a climate controlled garage I hope. I just spent 3 days in PHX. Too hot.
Make the right choices now

Offline cdflint

• Master Tech
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, 05:22:25 PM »
Yesterday I received a call that they need to order the part for the ignition recall so no fixing today :(

But the diff leak may be covered under the 5 year drivetrain warranty... Good through August. We'll see. I dont have my hopes up too much.  :idk:

Testing the LED's in a different style. What do you think?

Same color:

With turn signal color:

She's an 09 Brazen GXP.

Covered by Norms Fiberglass, DDM, WERKS, KappaSphere, Trifecta performance, Dejon performance, Solo performance, Magnaflow, Hahn, VDI, B&G, ASAP, WindRestrictor, Gravana, JPM, Santana, Madmod, HID pro, Second Skin Audio, mydipkit, Automotivetouchup.com and Smoothline.

To be or not to be hard, that is the question. I prefer my top off and still hard when I need it.

Offline cdflint

• Master Tech
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2014, 05:24:08 PM »
Also I spoke to Norm about my side skirts. Thanks for your help. Always good talking to you.
She's an 09 Brazen GXP.

Offline 50willie

• Tech
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 11:47:04 AM »
Do to an unfortunate event, Im forced to DD my Sky in PHX. I was hoping to get another Jeep as a DD.

Offline cdflint

• Master Tech
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2014, 08:42:03 PM »
With 106 here yesterday, I feel for ya.
She's an 09 Brazen GXP.

Offline cdflint

• Master Tech
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2014, 09:54:16 AM »
Received some tape and emblems from Norm to help reset my side skirts. THANKS NORM. Good talking to you.

Received MRZ plugs for my anniversary. Now installed and I like them.

No comments on the LED's???
She's an 09 Brazen GXP.

Offline cdflint

• Master Tech
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2014, 12:02:17 PM »
I took my car into a local shop to look at the differential and it is leaking around the seal on the drivers side. Very slow but drip drip. :( They quoted $500.00. Time to shop around.
She's an 09 Brazen GXP.

Offline cdflint

• Master Tech
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2014, 08:53:42 PM »
Took her to the Dealer for possible drive train warranty but was denied. They said the seal was no leaking but rather a part on top. I've not seen the part yet but $300.00 to fix it. Tomorrow it will be complete.
She's an 09 Brazen GXP.

Offline cdflint

• Master Tech
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2014, 05:49:28 PM »
Received back from the dealer yesterday. $251.00 later. Fortunately the leak was not from the seal rather it was from a vent from the top of the axle. They added a new vent that is raised on top and a longer hose to avoid the spray out. Raised vent, longer hose, no more leaks. :)
She's an 09 Brazen GXP.

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2014, 05:56:26 PM »
That is a TSB. If you still have power train, that should be covered!

Offline cdflint

• Master Tech
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2014, 06:40:30 PM »
I was first told it could be used since the powertrain was up in August but I'm restored salvage. I was then told powertrain coverage was not allowed due to that. Silly considering what the damage was (front end driver side bumper). Ah well, what can I do.
She's an 09 Brazen GXP.

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2014, 07:09:18 PM »
Does Salvage void warranty?

Offline cdflint

• Master Tech
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2014, 04:44:19 PM »
Yep. I still get the recalls though.
She's an 09 Brazen GXP.