Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: CEL P2096 and P2196  (Read 3729 times)

Offline Cheney

• Apprentice/Gofer
CEL P2096 and P2196
« on: May 12, 2014, 07:14:36 PM »
Hello,

A little background story, a few weeks ago, I was greeted with an engine light on my way home from work; after scanning the car the following codes were present:

P0130 02 Sensor Circuit Malfunction (Bank I Sensor 1)
P2243 O2 Sensor Reference Voltage Circuit/Open (Bank 1 Sensor 1)

I replaced the primary O2 sensor, cleared the codes and was able to drive for about 100 miles before the light came back on. This time I got these two:

P2096 Post Catalyst Fuel Trim System Too Lean (Bank 1)
P2196 O2 Sensor Signal Stuck Rich (Bank 1 Sensor 1)

I am trying to narrow down if its a problem with the cat, oxygen sensors, or a leak of some sort. I was able to read the voltage of the post cat O2 sensor. At idle, during warmup, the sensor reads about 450 mV, once the sensor is warmed, the voltage drops to about 15 - 20 mV. If I blip the throttle, the voltage increases to abou 1V, maybe a little more, and then settles back down. I am open to suggestions for how to diagnose this problem, and have HP Tuners for scanning and data logging.

If you have any any experience with these codes (P2096 & P2196) or have suggestions to diagnose/fix the problem I would greatly appreciate the help.

Thanks in advance.

Offline S.P.

• Master Tech
Re: CEL P2096 and P2196
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 08:07:37 PM »
Have you done any other work to the car since getting the P2096/2196? If not, the only thing you've changed is the upstream o2 sensor so I would doubled check that it's installed correctly and not leaking.

Offline Cheney

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 09:26:49 PM »
A few weeks ago I did the brakes, wheel bearings, springs and a few braces, but didn't touch the drivetrain.  I did however just go out and check the upstream O2 sensor.  Electrical connection seems good, and the sensor was tight in the exhaust, but I put the wrench on it anyway and was able to get an extra 1/8 - 1/4 turn on it.  I cleared to codes and will wait to see if they come back in the next few days.  Thanks for the advice S.P.  :thumbs:

However, I can't say that its fixed yet and would still welcome any other ideas.

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 10:41:10 PM »
Did you put any kind of anti seize on the O2 sensor when you installed it?   Sometimes that can cause a sensor to go bad in short order.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Cheney

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 08:43:59 AM »
The Bosch sensor I installed came with a small coating of anti seize on the threads, I didn't see any on the sensor head, nor did I add any.
I don't think the primary/ upstream sensor is bad though, it seems to be measuring accurately when compared to the commanded lambda values.

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 01:58:39 PM »
MAF issues?
Dragula  ;) Opel GT  from Romania
Arabas: take fotos, videos and keep all girls locked inside the house. Kelu's charm is irresistible !!!!

Offline Cheney

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2014, 05:33:34 PM »
The light came back on today with P2096, so I don't think it was a leak at the upstream O2 sensor.

Now that you bring up the MAF, I forgot to mention when S.P. asked initially, the day I did the brakes and all, I also swapped the stock air filter for a drop in K&N that was pre-oiled from the factory.  I expected different codes for the MAF, but it doesn't hurt to clean it and see what happens.

Offline Cheney

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2014, 06:07:18 PM »
Even if it doesn't solve my problem, the MAF definitely needed to be cleaned.  Well that's done, and the code cleared again, I will hopefully see tomorrow if that fixed it.

I have been looking around for the downstream O2 sensor, and it seems there are two versions, the 1st Design, and the 2nd Design; does anyone know what the difference is between them and how to tell which one will fit my car?

Offline Cheney

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2014, 08:46:33 PM »
Well, the light came back on again, but I finally had a chance to jack it up and take a look underneath the car.  I think I found the problem.

Looks like I'll be ordering that Solo turbo back sooner than expected :devil:

Offline crisco

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
  • My Precious!
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2014, 09:21:59 PM »
Hey! How did that happen.....could I use the same can opener to make those holes! :devil:
 I want a solo exhaust too!  :D
My Precious! 2007  Solstice GXP, Aggressive, Santana Cup Holder, Beachparty Fuse Box Cover,DDM Backbone Brace, DDM Performance Probeam, DDM Latin Venom Brace, DDM Oil Catch Can (Red), DDM LNF Intake Tube (Red), DDM Radiator Hose (Red), Wind Restricter, Solo Performance Mach Shorty Exhaust,...more to come!

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2014, 09:47:10 PM »
What did you hit?
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Cheney

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2014, 10:13:02 PM »
A few weeks ago, a CUV kicked up what looked like a cobble stone straight back at me.  I couldn't avoid it.  It bounced around under the car for a few seconds.  I pulled over immediately to inspect the car and thought I got lucky because I didn't see or hear any damage.  I was wrong.

Now the tough decision, which Solo exhaust to get.  I figure Ill do the cat while replacing the exhaust, so the Solo High Flow Cat is on the list.  I can't decide between the Mach Shorty and the Street Race.  I know the videos posted on YouTube do not do the exhausts justice.  It would be great if anyone had decibel readings for each, just to put them into perspective.