Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Center Console  (Read 2121 times)

Offline crisco

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
  • My Precious!
Center Console
« on: May 23, 2014, 05:09:01 PM »
I was just wondering if anyone out here has a solution to strengthen the center console.
I had bought a new one and it just arrived. My original one cracked a couple of weeks ago.
Any help would be appreciated! Thanks! :drive:
My Precious! 2007  Solstice GXP, Aggressive, Santana Cup Holder, Beachparty Fuse Box Cover,DDM Backbone Brace, DDM Performance Probeam, DDM Latin Venom Brace, DDM Oil Catch Can (Red), DDM LNF Intake Tube (Red), DDM Radiator Hose (Red), Wind Restricter, Solo Performance Mach Shorty Exhaust,...more to come!

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
Re: Center Console
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2014, 05:27:52 PM »
As many different solutions as there are opinions!

Some suggest some fiberglass mat and resin applied directly to the underside to strengthen it.

Others suggest a variety of support methods underneath
 - Wooden pillar cut to height
 - Cut/stacked pieces of dense foam
 - etc.

Personally, I fall into the latter camp, but I used a can of expanding foam caulk/sealant (such as "Great Stuff").  I squirted a blob into a zip-lock bag (not a lot - it expands like crazy over time).  I then stuffed the bag under the console and clipped it back in place.  I suggest a heavy weight on top, or the expanding foam will pop the console off.  Keep coming back to it every 10-20 mins and check on it/push it back down, until it sets.  Then you can take it out and carve off the sides and edges and shape it to make sure it doesn't interfere with the brake handle etc.

If you do this, the stuff is NASTY - if it gets on your carpet or seats it's NOT coming off.  So cover/protect everything well (including the console) beforehand.  If you get any on your hands clean them off well before you touch anything in the car.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 09:55:45 AM by TomatoSoup »
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, 07:56:24 AM »
And take precautions to make sure it doesn't happen in the future. When you enter and exit the car if you use the console to support your weight, make a conscious effort to put your weight on the emergency brake instead of the console.

Mark's idea is a good one. My console is still in good shape but I might give that a try to make sure it stays that way.
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2014, 11:38:30 AM »
Nasty is an understatement. Be very cautious with this stuff. Make sure not to puncture the bag putting the console on for fitting. 
Make the right choices now

Offline crisco

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
  • My Precious!
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2014, 05:45:13 PM »
Thanks, after reading this I was thinking to get the low density kind that doesn't expand as much. Using the plastic zip lock bags.
I know this stuff gets ALL over the place if you are not careful, Trouble is that I sometimes get Bear Paw :gaah: with stuff. I will try and be careful!

Tomato, did you fill in the squares first or did you just mash it down without anything in the squares.
Thanks!
My Precious! 2007  Solstice GXP, Aggressive, Santana Cup Holder, Beachparty Fuse Box Cover,DDM Backbone Brace, DDM Performance Probeam, DDM Latin Venom Brace, DDM Oil Catch Can (Red), DDM LNF Intake Tube (Red), DDM Radiator Hose (Red), Wind Restricter, Solo Performance Mach Shorty Exhaust,...more to come!

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2014, 06:54:31 PM »
Tomato, did you fill in the squares first or did you just mash it down without anything in the squares.
Thanks!
I mashed it down in the bag - let the expansion fit the squares.  Mine is 'loose' inside (it doesn't move, but it can be taken out).
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline Jim

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2014, 08:36:24 PM »
I got some of that stuff on my hands and the only thing that would take it off was sand paper. I ended up wearing it for over a month.
The road to success is always under construction.