Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Car barely used and no garage - solution for battery dropping dead?  (Read 7620 times)

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
Due to my temporary relocation with the work I use my car one weekend per month from april till november. From november till april the car sits in the parking lot and not started because I don't have a garage and no power source close to the car.

I keep calling my friends to help to jump start the car but the cables sold in Romania are crap (too thin) and I have to connect the batteries and wait for about 20-30 minutes to be able to start mine.

What do you think to be a solution in my case?

I was thinking to buy a rechargeable jump starter and I saw things like this:
(I don't want to link because of no sponsor - you can find them on amazon)
PowerAll PBJS12000R Portable Power Bank and Car Jump Starter
But they are not sold in EU at all (probably because of different plug type are not allowed)
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Around here I could find something very similar with another one:
Foxnovo® hot sell 15000mah Multi-function Car Jump Starter Mobile Power Bank Battery Charger with LED Light for Laptops /Cell Phones

First has about 110 reviews and looks like it can start anything without being plugged into a wall power source and especially for the size of it I'm very doubtful.

Here are some vids:

There are shipped from overseas and it will take a while to arrive and also not sure if is waste of money or not.

Dragula  ;) Opel GT  from Romania
Arabas: take fotos, videos and keep all girls locked inside the house. Kelu's charm is irresistible !!!!

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
How about just wiring in a battery disconnect switch? You can disconnect when you leave and reconnect whenever you come back to drive.  That way your car's parasitic drain won't happen while you're away.  The battery will still self-discharge, but hopefully not too much.

"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
Yeah - good idea SA.  With a decent one of those you probably wouldn't need the disconnect switch.
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
How about just wiring in a battery disconnect switch? You can disconnect when you leave and reconnect whenever you come back to drive.  That way your car's parasitic drain won't happen while you're away.  The battery will still self-discharge, but hopefully not too much.
I forgot to mention, this mod was done today ;) i used a racing car switch:
http://www.britishracecar.com/TivvyShenton-JaguarXK140/TivvyShenton-JaguarXK140-BK.jpg

I have many aftermarket devices installed and I thought won't be a bad idea to disconnect the battery completly when I'm away (Viper Alarm system with pager, wotbox 2nd step launch control, electronic boost controller, boost gauge with power, dashboss (bluetooth ecu reader, etc)
Arabas: take fotos, videos and keep all girls locked inside the house. Kelu's charm is irresistible !!!!

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
Send me the car. I'll take care of it.
Free shipping?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Make the right choices now

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
Re: Car barely used and no garage - solution for battery dropping dead?
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2014, 07:54:55 PM »
Feedback after awhile.

Beside battery disconnect switched as suggested by TomatoSoup, I have bought this:
Around here I could find something very similar with another one:
Foxnovo® hot sell 15000mah Multi-function Car Jump Starter Mobile Power Bank Battery Charger with LED Light for Laptops /Cell Phones
(Attachment Link)

First has about 110 reviews and looks like it can start anything without being plugged into a wall power source and especially for the size of it I'm very doubtful.
I was about 50-70E (60-90$) including transport, it took about 1 month to arrive even normally items from EU arrive in about 3-7 days, I think it was shipped from overseas.

My car battery didn't die yet so I tried it on another car, disconnect the positive terminal completely from the battery and I connected this device, basically I replace battery with the charger. It started right off even if the charger was displaying 3/5 charge level. I was surprised to see that it works as it was supposed and comes with tons of cables (both iphone types plugs, USB, mini USB, etc).

I was afraid to go on Sol Asylum's solution because having a visible electronic device on the dash could raise some interest in the parking lot. Thanks and I will keep in mind that idea maybe for other applications.

GJ: Thanks for the offer but no free shipping this time  :D
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 07:59:27 PM by Kelu »

Offline scanner

• Master Tech
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2014, 08:09:59 PM »
Foxnovo and battery disconnect cable are both great products I have seen in use without issue.  My only suggestion would be to apply the cable extender disconnect to the negative, not the positive. Rationale, too much bare conductor in case of crash sandwich.

Clear Skies!
Scanner

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2014, 08:18:08 PM »
Rationale, too much bare conductor in case of crash sandwich.
Not sure that I understood completely.

Offline scanner

• Master Tech
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2014, 08:26:51 PM »
OK, sorry.  When there is a crash, all kinds of stuff gets smushed together.  If there is a large capacity positive conductor without an insulator in contact with ground (most of the metal) there is a risk of unwanted electrical heating.  Most modern vehicles rap that positive battery cable end in plastic boxes to insulate any sandwiches.

Clear Skies!

Scanner

Offline wspohn

• Master Tech
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2014, 09:34:30 AM »
Do you still have On Star enabled?  That sucks a surprising amount of current just sitting there.  If it is, see about deactivating it.
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
1958 MGA Twincam (race car)
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
Recently sold:
1969 MGC roadster,
1965 Jensen CV8,
1969 Lamborghini Islero S
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT
Bill in BC

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2014, 10:30:00 AM »
scanner: thanks for the info, my disconnect switch is like this:

It was mounted by rally mechanics, they see a lot of crashes compared with a normal road vehicle and I suppose they installed it pretty good, I will check when I will be back to my car. Thanks for noticing  :thumbs:

wspohn: No OnStar services for Opel GTs but I have many other electric systems installed (mentioned above), I think the most responsible for this is a Viper car alarm with pager which communicates with the pager very often and it was supposed to have 1 mile range theoretically.  :idk:

Offline NormSky

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2014, 08:48:31 AM »
Onstar and arming the alarm all suck battery juice.
07 Sky Hahn Boosted - 44 MPG  40 mpg with air conditioning on.