Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Solo LE5 High Flow Cat  (Read 3551 times)

Offline S.P.

• Master Tech
Solo LE5 High Flow Cat
« on: May 27, 2014, 05:25:24 PM »
Just received this yesterday. Didn't get a shipping notice so I was quite surprised to see the box sitting at my front door. Here's a list of what's included in the box:

High flow cat with pre-installed donut gasket
Hardware and cat-to-header gasket
License plate bracket
2ea Solo stickers
Solo branded shirt

Pics:

I'll get around to installing it and giving driving impressions sometime this week.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 05:30:25 PM by S.P. »

Offline ihawk95

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
Re: Solo LE5 High Flow Cat
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 10:50:26 AM »
Let me know what you think.  I'm about to put one on my 2.4 at NASSM.

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 01:01:36 PM »

Let me know what you think.  I'm about to put one on my 2.4 at NASSM.

What exactly do you mean by "I'm about to"

Do you mean "someone is about to"?

:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Make the right choices now

Offline spicy3480

• Solo Performance Sales
  • Vendor
  • Gearhead
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 06:50:51 PM »
Awesome!!!!  Let us know how you like it!!!  Welcome to the SOLO family!

Steve
Steve Mariano
Solo Performance
516-655-9002 (7 days a week, until midnight EST)
goingsolo2@hotmail.com

2007 Mysterious Solstice GXP
INTRUDER

Offline ihawk95

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 11:08:47 AM »
What exactly do you mean by "I'm about to"

Do you mean "someone is about to"?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I will help of course if they would let me.  No way I can get the hardware off the stock cat by myself.  Went down that road 2 years ago.

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 01:56:51 PM »
You went down on the road? 
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline ihawk95

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2014, 04:45:00 PM »
No comment.   :devil:

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2014, 07:19:06 PM »
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline S.P.

• Master Tech
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2014, 08:54:54 PM »
Apologies for not writing this sooner, but installing the high flow cat has been a small ordeal for me.

The first thing I noticed during the install is that the bottom flange of the cat converter didn't line up with the support bracket on the engine. "No biggie. I'll just rotate it a bit" I thought. Not so much. The bracket has a small tab on it that prevents such rotation. So I used a dremel with cutting wheel to remove said tab. Good to go! Here's the before and after:

Now here's the part that caused me tons of frustration: regardless of what angle I installed the exhaust on the converter at, the connection would leak. On one the last few attempts, I mated the exhaust and cat together first to make sure everything was centered and then installed them as one assembly. Still it leaked. Out of desperation I tried applying a thick bead of copper sealant hoping that would resolve it. Still it leaked. Finally, I gave up and took the car to a muffler shop. Pics of my efforts:

The mechanic used a different (smaller?) donut gasket Correction: The mechanic used the gasket that came included with the HFC and was able to get the connection to seal perfectly with no gap between the flanges. Relief! He must have used impact tools because after taking the taking the HFC off at a later date there was no way I could get the flanges flush again with regular hand tools. I also noticed the sides of the clamp bowed a bit after he did the install. Now onto the driving impression.

First, note that I have the Solo Mach w/ resonator exhaust installed. Before the high flow cat, I absolutely loved every minute of the sound! After the high flow cat, the sound was still nice but took some getting used to. The high flow cat basically doubles the rumble and burble the solo mach exhaust produces. Under heavy acceleration at high RPMs (4K+) the exhaust is downright LOUD; I would say borderline obnoxious even. However, the overall sound is less harsh at lower RPMs compared to with the stock converter installed. With the stock converter, 3K RPM was the most my ears could take when cruising around town. With the high flow cat I can comfortably cruise at 4k RPM if I so choose. Thanks to the resonator in the Solo Mach exhaust there's not even a hint of rasp (whew). Drone is still non-existent when cruising and at part throttle. Idle noise is as quiet as ever. During acceleration and deceleration while in gear is the only time the exhaust makes its presence obvious.

On the emissions front, my car has 6 monitors ready at the moment (evap is not ready). I have yet to get any codes due to the high flow cat either. As far as I can tell, the O2 spacer is doing it's job.

Lastly, I haven't had my car dyno'd again yet so I can't give hard numbers. However, I can say that my car noticeably accelerates faster. For that reason alone the high flow cat has been a worthwhile purchase for me.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 11:48:16 PM by S.P. »

Offline ihawk95

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2014, 09:20:01 AM »
DDM installed my high flow cat last Wednesday.  The only issue they had with mine is I was missing a fastener or 2 that should have been on the car, but wasn't.  Who knows...it's an 06 so it was never there in the first place or disappeared during one of the previous exhaust changes (I'm on my 3rd and it was last dropped in 2012 for my clutch replacement).

Anyway, I like it!  It's a little deeper noise for me, but not as obnoxious as I would like actually.  I was getting a lot of vibration between 45 and 50 mph if I left the car in 5th before the cat.  No issues now.

The car has just a little more pep as I can feel a difference when the power comes in.  Not a lot, but just enough to be noticeble.  I hear through the grapevine it's an 18 hp gain.  I was happy to have it last Friday on the track!  I needed all I could get outta that car to keep up!

Couldn't tell you which Solo exhaust I have.  It's a custom vertically stacked exhaust that I swapped a friend for when he sold his NA to buy a GXP Coupe.

So far no codes or issues!  1-1/2 years until my next e-check, but it should pass!  Overall...happy camper!