Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: hood/fender gasket reattach?  (Read 1000 times)

Offline WWI Flying Ace

• Master Tech
hood/fender gasket reattach?
« on: June 06, 2014, 08:01:32 AM »
I had to get my right fender replaced a couple years ago.  On top of the fender is that black rubber gasket thing that makes a seal with the hood when the hood is down.  Today I got out of my car when I got to work and looked, and dang if that black rubber thing wasn't hanging down.   I opened the hood to get a look at it and see if it clips back in anywhere...it doesn't appear to.  Looks like it is actually attached with some kind of adhesive.  Does anyone know what adhesive is used for it, so I can fix it?
Thanks!
I never wonder to see men wicked, but I often wonder to see them not ashamed.
-Jonathan Swift

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Lifetime Supporting
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
Re: hood/fender gasket reattach?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2014, 10:22:09 AM »
Not stock.  It has been added, Dr. Dave of DDM has some or can tell you what to get.
2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension
Lambo Doors

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline TomatoSoup

• Lifetime Supporting
  • Gearhead
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2014, 10:32:38 AM »
CritMan - I assume he's talking about the side fender, not the wheel arch.  DDM's wheel arch one clips on.  The other is glued.

WW1 - I would suggest getting a length or roll of the thin-width 3M double-sided tape from you local parts place.  You probably need to clean the old sticky off first though.  Note - this is JUST a suggestion, I have had no experience of this and could be wrong.
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline Jim

• Lifetime Supporting
  • Master Tech
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2014, 11:07:53 AM »
Another suggestion would be to use automotive adhesive (I like the 3M spray adhesive). Clean the old adhesive off (rubbing alcohol works good) and then spray just the bottom side of the rubber piece and let is set for a few minutes until it is tacky and almost dry to the touch. When you touch it, it should stick to your finger but no adhesive should be left on your finger. Reattach it to the fender.

The 3M stuff is one of the best adhesives I've used and you'll want to make sure you put the piece back on straight as it will be difficult to reposition it if you don't. I would probably use a piece of cardboard placed against the fender to act as a guide for reinstalling that rubber piece.

The road to success is always under construction.

Offline Sol Asylum

• Lifetime Supporting
  • Shop Foreman
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2014, 11:08:12 AM »
It is a double sided adhesive, new parts come with a paper backer that you pull off and then press the seal in place.  It might be easier to just replace the seal I think they are only like $20.  Just make sure you use a wax and grease remover to clean the fender before you reinstall.

I have a car that the dealer tried to apply a side stripe over the waxed paint, care to guess how long the stripe stayed on the car? 
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline ihawk95

• Lifetime Supporting
  • Gearhead
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2014, 12:44:08 PM »
It was stock either in late 06 or 07.  My car never had it.

I thought they clipped on somehow, but I guess it's just another stick on piece.

Offline timlange3

• Master Tech
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2014, 02:35:29 PM »
Mine started coming off, so I cleaned the fender and the rubber and then put a little bit on contact cement on both, once dry to touch I stuck them together (one try, get it right!!) and it has held fine for the last four years.
Tim.

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2014, 05:46:47 AM »

Offline WWI Flying Ace

• Master Tech
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2014, 03:31:58 PM »
Thanks for all the answers.  Haven't been back here for a few days.  I'll have to get it fixed up...yet one more thing that the no-longer-my-bodyshop didn't do correctly when I had some work done last time. 

Interesting it is model year specific to the 07s.  There aren't that many things about the cars that changed over the years.  I'm always interested when I learn about one.
I never wonder to see men wicked, but I often wonder to see them not ashamed.
-Jonathan Swift

Offline TomatoSoup

• Lifetime Supporting
  • Gearhead
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2014, 03:56:32 PM »
Interesting it is model year specific to the 07s.  There aren't that many things about the cars that changed over the years.  I'm always interested when I learn about one.
The part# link that DBG posted shows it's the same piece for MY 2006-2010.  Not specific to 07's.
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)