Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Powder Coating ?  (Read 1132 times)

Offline ChopTop

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
Powder Coating ?
« on: June 09, 2014, 02:27:51 PM »
Thinking of having a few parts powder coated, one of the items has some rust (Probeam) on it, and I'm wondering if its standard practice to bead blast the metal clean before powder coating?

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
Re: Powder Coating ?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 03:32:49 PM »
Yes, bead/sand blast then powder coat.  They want to make sure there isn't something on the surface that won't take the heat needed to bake the part for the powder to cure.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 06:55:05 PM »
My powder coated uses crushed glass instead of glass bead or sand. He claims it gives a better profile for the finish to adhere to. If you bring him parts that are bead or sand blasted he redoes them.
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline ihawk95

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 10:32:13 PM »
I was going to say... wouldn't you want as few imperfections as possible to avoid adhesion issues? I don't know a ton about powder coating, but I used to work for a paint manufacturer for a few years. Surface prep was always key to good adhesion and to avoid other imperfections.