Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Engine oil independent tests - PSI  (Read 3140 times)

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
Engine oil independent tests - PSI
« on: June 27, 2014, 07:40:33 PM »
Very long read:
http://540ratblog.wordpress.com/2013/06/20/motor-oil-wear-test-ranking/

To sum this up:
THE SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT thing a motor oil does for your engine, is prevent wear. Everything else it does for your engine, comes AFTER that. But, I have found that there is a tremendous amount of misinformation and misunderstanding about motor oil. The worst of all is that a lot of people, even those at Cam Companies, blindly accept the MYTH about needing high levels of zinc in motor oil in order to have sufficient wear protection. But, that line of thinking is NOT based on technical fact, and is simply FALSE. So, at the beginning of 2012, I began Tribology Research using motor oil “Wear Testing” equipment, to explore the facts regarding the wear prevention capabilities of motor oil. For those not familiar with the terminology, Tribology means the study of friction, lubrication, and wear between moving surfaces.

Some top results:
1. 5W30 Pennzoil Ultra -Synthetic... 115612 PSI
2. 5W30 Motul 300V Ester Core 4T Racing Oil, synthetic = 112,464 psi (motorcycle engine oil and only version tested from Motul :( )
3. 5W30 Oil Extreme (hard to find) 110.286 PSI
4. 10W30 Lucas Racing Synthetic 106,505 PSI
5. 5W30 Mobil 1 Synthetic 105.875 PSI
6. 0W30 Amsoil Signature Series Synthetic 105,008 PSI
7. 10W30 Valvoline NSL Racing 103,846 PSI
8. 5W50 Motorcraft Synthetic 103,517 PSI

As a general rating:
Over 105,000 psi = INCREDIBLE wear protection
90,000 to 105,000 psi = OUTSTANDING wear protection
75,000 to 90,000 psi = GOOD wear protection
60,000 to 75,000 psi = MODEST wear protection
Below 60,000 psi = UNDESIRABLE wear protection

I'm using only Motul oil in my modified cars, I presume, if Motul could do such a protective oil for bikes, they must have been a good job for car engines too.  :D

« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 07:50:33 PM by Kelu »
Dragula  ;) Opel GT  from Romania
Arabas: take fotos, videos and keep all girls locked inside the house. Kelu's charm is irresistible !!!!

Offline POS VETT

• Master Tech
  • AINT YRS
Re: Engine oil independent tests - PSI
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 11:15:02 PM »
The top-ranked Pennzoil Ultra 5W30 is the SM-rated version. The SN-rated version (currently available and produced) has a lower rating. According to the article -

"44.   5W30 Pennzoil Ultra, API SN synthetic = 92,569 psi"

It looks like the Mobil1 5W30 Synthetic is still ranked pretty high among the "synthetic" oils w/o any additive.  It's also quite cheap to buy; the Amsoil Signature Series 0W30 has a slightly lower pressure number but it costs quite a bit more.

Looks like I'm going back with the Mobil1 including for my Z06.

Results for some conventional engine oils are eye-opening, along with many of "synthetic" oils.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 08:18:32 AM by POS VETT »

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2014, 08:03:20 AM »
Interesting read although I admit to just skimming over it, I'll read it in more depth later. Like Pos Vett though I think I'll stick with the Mobil 1 as it's both easy to find and easy to find on sale.
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 03:42:10 PM »
Wow!  Very interesting.  Thanks Bob.

UPDATE:  I converted the list of tested oils into a spreadsheet (now version2).  Figgur'd it'd be easier to parse...
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 09:49:07 AM by TomatoSoup »
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline Rogue

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 08:50:25 PM »
An amazing chart. Thank you.
Go N.A.K.3.D..