Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: 2007 GXP GMPP bumper to bumper warranty running out  (Read 3236 times)

Offline bluemangxp

• Founding Member
  • Tech
2007 GXP GMPP bumper to bumper warranty running out
« on: July 02, 2014, 04:09:12 PM »
OK , so heres my question. My 2007 GXP with 49,000 miles is losing its GMPP bumper to bumper coverage. If it was you, what you you worry about most? Right now I really have checked it bumper to bumper and can't find much to complain about.I'm the first owner. The diff squeaks alot and the headlight covers look crappy for a garage kept car. I've had to replace a pint of water every six month's to get the WATER CAUTION light to not blink on and off . Not a drip or drop on the garage floor. Would appreciate any words of wisdom from fellow owners.

Offline Sting Ya

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
Re: 2007 GXP GMPP bumper to bumper warranty running out
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 06:28:04 PM »
I have a 2007  NA but I read and talk to fellow owners and the two most common problems with the turbo cars are the water pumps going usually around the 50000 mile mark and the fuel pumps (there are two on a turbo car ) if you consistently  drive it for any length of time after the low fuel light comes on , there was a recall on the rear differential seal but as far as I know it only affected the 2007 model year but it's worth looking into . .The headlights can be polished out with a couple of products that they sell at auto stores specifically for this I like Mothers Products but 3M and Mequires also work very well hope  this helps !   

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 08:00:54 PM »
It worries me that you have to fill the cooling system, you shouldn't have to. Some have found coolant leaking onto a frame rail under the water pump where the coolant never reaches the floor. I would mention that to the dealer and see if you can get the pump changed. At the very least there would be a record of an issue should you have pump issues a few months after the warranty is gone.
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 08:21:04 PM »
The leak you have is slow right now and drips onto a pocket under the water pump.  This pocket get's sucked out during driving.  Use a flashlight to check.  That is how the water pump started going on mine.  Eventually it'll be bad enough and you'll see the fluid on the floor. Ask the dealer for coolant dye and after about a month, you should be able to see spots on the underside of your car with a black light.  The dye would have to be added into the main radiator hose.  It takes too long to exchange the fluid in the reservoir.

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 08:39:13 PM »
Water pump is failing!

Get it fixed ASAP before warranty runs out.

Also-  check for oil in the intake.  And a loose turbo wheel.

Get the diff fixed too. The clunk is a common problem with a repair for it.
Make the right choices now

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 09:01:33 PM »
Differential leaks, there was at least one TSB and a recall for that, gotta get that fixed.

http://www.kappaperformance.com/forum/index.php?topic=845.0

There was also a vent tube TSB 07-04-20-001A that modified the vent on the rear differential that would sometimes leak small amounts of fluid. Be sure that is done while it's under warranty.

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline kwtoxman

• Master Tech
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2014, 09:24:19 PM »
HPFP issues are very rare on the car from my research. Only a few member with such problems. If you haven't run out of gas, you should be okay.

Get the diff fixed too. The clunk is a common problem with a repair for it.

Not on the GXP... and mid 07 base and on. And there is no fix for it.

The diff recall mentioned should have been done if you've taken it to a dealer in the last 5 years. If not, get it done, and make sure they put limited slip fluid in it as wel. They didn't on mine and said bs about it not being needed. Wrong. And it isn't necessarily about a leak (yet per se). It's a bad seal. http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f12/gm-announces-solstice-recall-merged-pinion-seal-recall-41309/

Other things to check/consider are the outer and inner door handle issues, leaking shocks (crawl underneath and check), the missing tabs in the top causing a rips, heater/ac wiring issues (pita to check, http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/heater-ac-blower-stopped-working-68002/), and cupholder issues.
:ca2:

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2014, 09:48:17 PM »
Great call on the shocks!
90% of the cars I've worked on with more than 20K mikes have a blown right rear shock. Most people never notice.

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2014, 10:24:30 AM »
You have a 2007 car?  Sorry, but your bumper-to-bumper warranty is long expired.  So is your power-train warranty (3yrs/5yrs respectively).

Unless, of course, you bought the General Motors Protection Plan (GMPP) extended warranty. :devil:
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 11:23:34 AM by TomatoSoup »
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2014, 10:50:35 AM »
Unless as he claims in his first post, he bought the General Motors Protection Plan (GMPP) extended warranty.

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2014, 06:41:50 PM »
TS- please read the entire thread before spouting out nonsense. Jeeze. Quit taking away my job!

Offline bluemangxp

• Founding Member
  • Tech
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2014, 03:56:38 PM »
So my GXP has been at the dealer for two days, the tech said he saw evidence of a coolant leak but couldn't find the source. GMPP told them to pressure test the system which they claim showed no evidence of a problem. Im arguing that if I saw coolant and the tech saw coolant theres a leak! They are going to retest and keep it another day. I think they are just trying to deny the claim, warranty is up in three weeks! I contend that a pressure test doesnt really test the water pump seals, especially if its cold, what about the thermostat being closed?

Service Dept. just called back. They have decided to run a coolant dye test. I feel much better, if they cant find it with that, I guess Ill just have to keep my fingers crossed

« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 05:34:11 PM by bluemangxp »

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2014, 11:50:02 PM »
It's the water pump. Make sure the use the correct tool to hold the timing chain. When they are done if you hear any whine from under the hood, the didn't use the tool.