Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Seats Are Uncomfortable  (Read 1966 times)

Offline S.P.

• Master Tech
Seats Are Uncomfortable
« on: July 20, 2014, 03:01:21 AM »
This is the most uncomfortable car I have ever driven. I can barely drive an hour without getting a throbbing pain in my back (lumbar area). I have JPM's lumbar support bladder which postpones the pain a little, but is located too high up in the seat to be a real fix.

I have leather seats in my car. I have plans of possibly getting them recovered in alcantara. I was wondering if the cloth seats are more comfortable the leather ones? Maybe it's not the material that makes the seats uncomfortable for me, but the shape.

Offline POS VETT

• Master Tech
  • AINT YRS
Re: Seats Are Uncomfortable
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 07:08:05 AM »
I agree, although in my case the seat doesn't cause any pain after prolonged sitting; the limited space prevents the seat back further adjustment. The high window sill and dashboard cause me to sit upright. I doubt cover material alone would make a difference, but while the covers are off, the seat supports can be reconfigured.

Offline Sting Ya

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 01:14:37 PM »
Sounds to me like it's the design of the seats and the way you are built I doubt that recovering will do much good .Your other option would be to look at replacement seats a couple of companies to look at are Recaro/Corbeau/Sparco/Seibon

Offline Jim

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 02:18:01 PM »
I added a lumbar support to both seats and positioned them as low as they would go and while they seem to work pretty good and are where I want them to be, they definitely are not a "comfortable" seat. It's really one of the very few complaints that I have about the car.

The seats in the C6 Corvette seem pretty comfy and have plenty of adjustments. I know the headrests are a different shape but if the seat would fit in the width of the Kappa platform, I would most likely be interested in swapping them out.

I drove my Sky from DC to New Mexico (3 days and ~1900 miles) almost 9 months ago and I still have back pains from that trip....
The road to success is always under construction.

Offline S.P.

• Master Tech
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2014, 03:26:47 PM »
Thanks for the input so far, guys. I guess I'll throw out the idea of recovering my stock seats and look at getting some aftermarket ones. Now to find a set that doesn't interfere with the waterfall storageā€¦

Offline critter

• Master Tech
  • Married, 4 grandkids
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2014, 06:27:46 PM »
Sounds to me like it's the design of the seats and the way you are built I doubt that recovering will do much good .Your other option would be to look at replacement seats a couple of companies to look at are Recaro/Corbeau/Sparco/Seibon
I didn't think that anyone made a seat that fit out cars without major mods or living with something that is a bit wonky. If someone has done a replacement Recaro or Sparco (others) I'd be curious in which model and what issues were. I had Recaro is my Ion before I went for the Skys and I liked them better but I like the Sky overall better for sure...
I always wanted to be somebody when I grew up - I realize now that I should have been more specific!!

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2014, 09:41:32 AM »
I have done 10 hour days in my seat without issue.  I do have the JPM lumbar inserts in my seats.
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2014, 11:04:43 AM »
You can't make one seat that will be good for everyone.  One size doesn't fit all.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Wartie

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2014, 11:08:15 AM »
You can't make one seat that will be good for everyone.  One size doesn't fit all.

There is a big difference in the seats between our '06 and the '08. The '08 has much better padding.

Offline wspohn

• Master Tech
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2014, 11:16:38 AM »
Do you drive with your wallet in your back pocket? If so remove it....really, it can make an amazing difference.  Otherwise, I'd say you are the exception, as most people seem to find the seats pretty good (I can't comment on early seats as I only know the late ones).
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
1958 MGA Twincam (race car)
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
Recently sold:
1969 MGC roadster,
1965 Jensen CV8,
1969 Lamborghini Islero S
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT
Bill in BC

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2014, 11:19:26 AM »
I'm pretty big 6.3ft and about 220 pounds and with lumbar issues (I can't stand more than 1-2h), I don't have any issue with 2008 leather seats, I bet they are same as in US Kappas.
I drove over 10 times long trips with one-two days with over 12h of driving and I felt perfect.

Previous cars always gave me lumbar pains after 3-4h of driving, not these ones.

Looks like these seats fit me  :idk:
Dragula  ;) Opel GT  from Romania
Arabas: take fotos, videos and keep all girls locked inside the house. Kelu's charm is irresistible !!!!

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2014, 12:16:48 PM »
This is the most uncomfortable car I have ever driven. I can barely drive an hour without getting a throbbing pain in my back (lumbar area). I have JPM's lumbar support bladder which postpones the pain a little, but is located too high up in the seat to be a real fix.
If it's located too high, then remove the zip-ties, and replace with longer ones to position it lower!

Also, it's a good idea to fill the 'void' in the rear of the driver seat foam with some spare foam cut to fit.  That alone might help you considerably.

I have the filler and the JPM lumbar bladder, and have driven to Florida (17hours) without issues.
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)