Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: MSN: Worst 15 cars of the decade  (Read 3400 times)

Offline critter

• Master Tech
  • Married, 4 grandkids
MSN: Worst 15 cars of the decade
« on: July 31, 2014, 11:08:53 AM »
Do not shoot the messenger. Just noting the story. If you go to www.msn.com and go through the scroll items (this is the 2nd I think) you will see a picture of a Pontiac Solstice. Both the Sky and the Solstice are fingered in the story. What a load of crap - unless I'm missing something. My ass is in the Redline everyday and I wouldn't trade it for anything...weigh in folks...Critter
I always wanted to be somebody when I grew up - I realize now that I should have been more specific!!

Offline Helios

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Play Hard; Drive Harder!
Re: MSN: Worst 15 cars of the decade
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 11:13:14 AM »
If you read the story carefully it says the Solstice coupe was bad, but the convertibles were better received. Either way, I don't agree with any of it. I have yet to EVER get a negative review from onlookers.
"Gwyneth"
V8 swap in progress
RPi GT/ SOLO Exhaust

Offline critter

• Master Tech
  • Married, 4 grandkids
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 11:17:58 AM »
If you read the story carefully it says the Solstice coupe was bad, but the convertibles were better received. Either way, I don't agree with any of it. I have yet to EVER get a negative review from onlookers.

It does say that both had "engineering problems" with absolutely no hint of what that means. I hate this side of the media. Just put something out there. No detail. No sources. No facts...Voila I have one of the 15 slots filled and move on....
I always wanted to be somebody when I grew up - I realize now that I should have been more specific!!

Offline ihawk95

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 11:36:40 AM »
They don't even have the facts right.  Barely 100 were produced?  Thought the coupe number was a little higher than that, but OK.

The engineering flaws they talk mainly about is the top.  None of the critics like the manual top.  It's so horrible and it takes so long and you have to get out of the car.

I have a G6 with an automatic top.  I can be in and out of my Solstice and have the top up and down before my G6 is half way through the process.  I have to sit there with my finger on the button for the top the entire time.  Yeah...the manual top is terrible.   :kwh:

Offline critter

• Master Tech
  • Married, 4 grandkids
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 11:47:12 AM »
They don't even have the facts right.  Barely 100 were produced?  Thought the coupe number was a little higher than that, but OK.

The engineering flaws they talk mainly about is the top.  None of the critics like the manual top.  It's so horrible and it takes so long and you have to get out of the car.

I have a G6 with an automatic top.  I can be in and out of my Solstice and have the top up and down before my G6 is half way through the process.  I have to sit there with my finger on the button for the top the entire time.  Yeah...the manual top is terrible.   :kwh:

All cars have warts - they all do. But, the top 15 of the decade COME ON!!!!

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 01:23:16 PM »
One of my other cars is a Triumph TR7, if you want to talk about the media giving a car a bad review based on BS and misinformation then that's a perfect example.

Just like with the Solstice I like the car and don't care what others think.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 01:24:27 PM »
Who reads MSN? :lol:
Dragula  ;) Opel GT  from Romania
Arabas: take fotos, videos and keep all girls locked inside the house. Kelu's charm is irresistible !!!!

Offline Sting Ya

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2014, 01:51:17 PM »
Look the people that write this stuff are basically beat writers and this was the assignment of the day they are  not enthusiasts if they were they would not be working for MSN and their car of choice is probably a leased Corolla !     :lol:   

Offline ihawk95

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2014, 03:59:01 PM »
Look the people that write this stuff are basically beat writers and this was the assignment of the day they are  not enthusiasts if they were they would not be working for MSN and their car of choice is probably a leased Corolla !     :lol:   

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Offline crisco

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
  • My Precious!
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2014, 08:02:08 AM »
Who reads MSN? :lol:

MSN sucks....yeah,... sucks....  I'm a good driver, yeah...  :lol: :lol: :lol:
My Precious! 2007  Solstice GXP, Aggressive, Santana Cup Holder, Beachparty Fuse Box Cover,DDM Backbone Brace, DDM Performance Probeam, DDM Latin Venom Brace, DDM Oil Catch Can (Red), DDM LNF Intake Tube (Red), DDM Radiator Hose (Red), Wind Restricter, Solo Performance Mach Shorty Exhaust,...more to come!

Offline POS VETT

• Master Tech
  • AINT YRS
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2014, 08:34:15 AM »
I actually agree up to a point. The relatively short design stage left a lot to be desired; I've noticed several things beyond usual GM quirks and shortcomings especially when it comes to ergonomics and transmission. Nonetheless, I still like my Kappa, I just wish its development was done better.

Offline critter

• Master Tech
  • Married, 4 grandkids
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2014, 01:20:14 PM »
I actually agree up to a point. The relatively short design stage left a lot to be desired; I've noticed several things beyond usual GM quirks and shortcomings especially when it comes to ergonomics and transmission. Nonetheless, I still like my Kappa, I just wish its development was done better.
Shame on them and too bad for us if between 2006 (when I think you are referring to the short design stage) and 2009 they didn't take the interrest to extend the design perios and make the changes necessary to the first set of production plans. i don't know enough about the evolution of the cars over that time period to know whether they addressed things or not....

Offline Sting Ya

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2014, 03:23:03 PM »
                                                                                                                                                                                                                        Having read " The Pontiac  Solstice Book  " my take on all this was that GM was surprised at the reaction of the concept  car when it was introduced  and then hurried it into production to capture the positive vibes from the press and public with the overall view being continued  development with the introduction of the GXP and then the coupe. Needless to say no one had the forsite to see the government bailout and all the changes that GM had to put into place to continue to operate .

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2014, 11:35:46 AM »
You are going to trust MSN's opinion on this?
If Microsoft made our cars, we would have to disconnect the battery at least once a week just to get it started

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2014, 01:07:30 PM »
If Microsoft made our cars, we would have to disconnect the battery at least once a week just to get it started

You think the trunk is small now if MS designed it the top would be stored in the cloud.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline crisco

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
  • My Precious!
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2014, 05:48:59 AM »
:coffee:
You think the trunk is small now if MS designed it the top would be stored in the cloud.

:lol:  :lol: :lol:
My Precious! 2007  Solstice GXP, Aggressive, Santana Cup Holder, Beachparty Fuse Box Cover,DDM Backbone Brace, DDM Performance Probeam, DDM Latin Venom Brace, DDM Oil Catch Can (Red), DDM LNF Intake Tube (Red), DDM Radiator Hose (Red), Wind Restricter, Solo Performance Mach Shorty Exhaust,...more to come!

Offline ihawk95

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2014, 03:45:48 PM »
                                                                                                                                                                                                                        Having read " The Pontiac  Solstice Book  " my take on all this was that GM was surprised at the reaction of the concept  car when it was introduced  and then hurried it into production to capture the positive vibes from the press and public with the overall view being continued  development with the introduction of the GXP and then the coupe. Needless to say no one had the forsite to see the government bailout and all the changes that GM had to put into place to continue to operate .

I'd say your take is pretty much on.  As I recall, at the time it was the fastest concept to production car.  In speaking with one of the engineers who worked on the project, they had planned a lot of things for the kappa.  And then the economy tanked as did GM and that was that.

They were improving the car.  Try riding in an 2006 Solstice and compare it to later years.  My 2006 doesn't even have door locks!  :lol: