Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Vehicles next to hit the collectability levels  (Read 3741 times)

Offline critter

• Master Tech
  • Married, 4 grandkids
Vehicles next to hit the collectability levels
« on: August 03, 2014, 06:32:50 PM »
Well from the worst cars ever made to this. Let's see MSN for the first. FOX for the second..Here you go! http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2014/08/01/future-collectors-5-cars-to-buy-now/?intcmp=features

Don't know if I did this right...

I always wanted to be somebody when I grew up - I realize now that I should have been more specific!!

Offline LatinVenom

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
Re: Vehicles next to hit the collectability levels
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2014, 06:41:18 PM »
Well the fact they say the roaster suffer from packaging issues, I guess they are making reference to the trunk, but to go and say the coupe solved it, guess they have never been in either one.
Solstice GXP 2007.
Aggressive and fully loaded.
Mods: Magnaflow 2.5" exhaust, DDM Backbone & ProBeam,ZOK suspension,LV Kappa Front Chassis Brace, BTF Turbo Upgraded Wheel, Windristrictor, JPM Center console,arms,tulip,side doors,DDM Upgraded wheel tune.

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 09:52:04 PM »
We ARE talking about Fox News...
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline ihawk95

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 08:02:35 AM »
Hilarious!  Terminal packaging issues that the coupe solved??  Hahahaha!  How about the new blind spots the coupe created?  Oh and I can get my golf clubs in the trunk of my vert and last I heard, the clubs don't fit in the back of the coupe!

And the coupe is drop dead gorgeous??  Hmm... I know some people love it, I like the concept of it, but I've always thought the verts look better.

These guys are funnay!!!

Offline DaveOC

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
  • Running Wisconsin
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 10:59:34 AM »
Hilarious!  Terminal packaging issues that the coupe solved??  Hahahaha!  How about the new blind spots the coupe created?  Oh and I can get my golf clubs in the trunk of my vert and last I heard, the clubs don't fit in the back of the coupe!

And the coupe is drop dead gorgeous??  Hmm... I know some people love it, I like the concept of it, but I've always thought the verts look better.

These guys are funnay!!!

Opinions, personal likes and dislikes.  It's what makes all of us so interesting to others.
Aggressive #000741

Offline ChopTop

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2014, 01:23:07 PM »
Well from the worst cars ever made to this. Let's see MSN for the first. FOX for the second..Here you go! http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2014/08/01/future-collectors-5-cars-to-buy-now/?intcmp=features

Don't know if I did this right...

LOL, I have to post this on BB, the MSN article has been posted in two threads.

Offline ihawk95

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2014, 02:23:10 PM »
Opinions, personal likes and dislikes.  It's what makes all of us so interesting to others.

I get the drop dead gorgeous comment is an opinion.  I as I said, I realize to some people it is and they love it.

However, the terminal packaging issue comment had nothing to substantiate it.  To me, that comment is not an opinion and could be expanded upon further.  We can only assume it is the lack of space due to the top, but it would be simple enough to quantify.  Again...both MSN and Fox have made broad statements without supporting evidence. That's the part I find funnay!

They could have easily shown selling price vs blue book.  Or new price vs. current selling price.  Hell, we all have a good idea of the selling price for a GXP coupe...mid $20's.  And it would have been easy to split out GXP's vs. NA's for the production numbers.  Jeesh...do a little freakin' homework Kids.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 02:26:16 PM by ihawk95 »

Offline Sting Ya

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2014, 10:18:02 PM »
So the guy that wrote the article is from Hagerty  probably one of the largest if not the largest insurer of classic,muscle ,hot rods,special interest and sports cars and his take on the Solstice is that it will be a future collectable a little knowledge goes a long way!   :thumbs:

Offline wspohn

• Master Tech
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2014, 11:39:38 AM »
Please note that 'future collectible' does not equate to 'I will make a pile on this car!"

It is more along the lines of "This car may depreciate a little more slowly than the convertibles, due to rarity, and might even some day become collectible - at which point they will probably still be worth a fraction of what they cost new."

For some reason a lot of people seem to equate collectible with investment.  Let us know how that 'investment' you made in those collectible Beanie Babies is working out for you......
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
1958 MGA Twincam (race car)
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
Recently sold:
1969 MGC roadster,
1965 Jensen CV8,
1969 Lamborghini Islero S
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT
Bill in BC

Offline critter

• Master Tech
  • Married, 4 grandkids
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2014, 12:54:43 PM »
Please note that 'future collectible' does not equate to 'I will make a pile on this car!"

It is more along the lines of "This car may depreciate a little more slowly than the convertibles, due to rarity, and might even some day become collectible - at which point they will probably still be worth a fraction of what they cost new."

For some reason a lot of people seem to equate collectible with investment.  Let us know how that 'investment' you made in those collectible Beanie Babies is working out for you......

This whole thing is a bit weird. Every once in a while I get caught up in one of the car auction telecasts and it seems that when a limited edition car comes up that is both a hardtop and a convertible it's the convertible that makes the money not the hard top. I get that so few of the coupes were made but it goes against just about every other car brand - Ferrrari convertibles higher, Porsche convertibles higher, old Chevys, old Fords, etc etc...The hardtops get props but not as much money....
I always wanted to be somebody when I grew up - I realize now that I should have been more specific!!

Offline Sting Ya

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2014, 10:15:35 PM »
I have been following the collector car market for a number of years now and have a few friends who are regulars at these auctions and they will all tell you other then the blue chip cars Shelby Cobras, Ferrari's,Bugatti,etc. everything else is just a crap shoot as to what's hot in the market  today. A good friend of mine just sold a Buick GNX to a collector for $85000.00 he bought it in 1997 for $20000.00 .The car had super low miles 5800 and had all the paper work from new he never thought the car would be worth that much and he originally bought it because he liked the car. My point is I don't think anyone can predict what our cars will be worth in the future I'm sure there will be people who will pay a big buck for a super low mileage coupe 20 years from now if the market is right just as there are people paying crazy money for certain muscle cars you just have to be in the right place at the right time.Me I'm just happy to enjoy my car and of the more then 70 that I have owned this ones a keeper .
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 05:56:05 AM by Sting Ya »

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2014, 11:05:45 AM »
I have been following the collector car market for a number of years now and have a few friends who are regulars at these auctions and they will all tell you other then the blue chip cars Shelby Cobras, Ferrari's,Bugatti,etc. everything else is just a crap shoot as to what's hot in the market  today. A good friend of mine just sold a Buick GNX to a collector for $85000.00 he bought it in 1997 for $20000.00 .The car had super low miles 5800 and had all the paper work from new he never thought the car would be worth that much and he originally bought it because he liked the car. My point is I don't think anyone can predict what are cars will be worth in the future I'm sure there will be people who will pay a big buck for a super low mileage coupe 20 years from now if the market is right just as there are people paying crazy money for certain muscle cars you just have to be in the right place at the right time.Me I'm just happy to enjoy my car and of the more then 70 that I have owned this ones a keeper .

Damn...  Must buy more cars and catch up to Stingya.....
Make the right choices now

Offline odiaz

• Tech
  • Deep GXP
    • Cherod/solstice
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2014, 07:58:14 PM »
I have 2 cars insured as a collectibles by Hagerty since 2006 and 2009 when I first bought them.  I used the relatively low production numbers as justification and I maintain a log of the cars usage. 

BTW, I cant say enough good things about Hagerty.  Their customer service is by far the best.  They offer trip interruption insurance as well as roadside assistance. They don't place any ridiculous mileage limitations and encourage their clients to enjoy their cars for shows, events and other enthusiast activities (no racing of course).  I had to file a claim once and it was resolved immediately.  I had a check for the full estimate value in my hands within 2 days of filing the claim.  You can't possibly get better service than that. I would highly recommend them for collectibles and antiques.
My Solstice Web site and HowTo Articles

http://www.cherod.com/solstice

Offline Sting Ya

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2014, 09:22:35 PM »
I have 2 cars insured as a collectibles by Hagerty since 2006 and 2009 when I first bought them.  I used the relatively low production numbers as justification and I maintain a log of the cars usage. 

BTW, I cant say enough good things about Hagerty.  Their customer service is by far the best.  They offer trip interruption insurance as well as roadside assistance. They don't place any ridiculous mileage limitations and encourage their clients to enjoy their cars for shows, events and other enthusiast activities (no racing of course).  I had to file a claim once and it was resolved immediately.  I had a check for the full estimate value in my hands within 2 days of filing the claim.  You can't possibly get better service than that. I would highly recommend them for collectibles and antiques.
     :agree: :agree:

Offline Sting Ya

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2014, 06:03:22 AM »

Damn...  Must buy more cars and catch up to Stingya.....
    Busting my ass having a good job and  working a lot of overtime had a lot to do with it plus I enjoy cars but if it's any conciliation I'm slowing down in my later years and we won't get into the bikes   :lol: