Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Spider Cracks in Windscreen  (Read 1789 times)

Offline odiaz

• Tech
  • Deep GXP
    • Cherod/solstice
Spider Cracks in Windscreen
« on: August 07, 2014, 07:40:57 PM »
I've installed windscreens from two different vendors and after a couple of years, they start getting spider cracks on the edge where they make contact with the tulip panel.  The spider cracks spread and eventually the crack penetrates the entire windscreen.  Luckily the vendor of the 2nd windscreen offers a lifetime warranty and is replacing the latest one under warranty. 

Is anyone else experiencing this problem? This will be my third windscreen in 5 years.

My Solstice Web site and HowTo Articles

http://www.cherod.com/solstice

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
Re: Spider Cracks in Windscreen
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 08:17:26 PM »
What are you cleaning them with?  If it has ammonia in it that can cause the plastic to fail.  Also things like Loctite will destroy the plastic.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 09:24:41 PM »
I have had mine in my car since  March 2006.  No cracks.
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline Sting Ya

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 09:39:51 PM »
Have had mine on my car since 2010 with no problems got it on Ebay for around 65 bucks it's plain and does the job it came with felt washers and the edges are finished by the way he is still selling them (Over 700 sold according to his post)

Offline odiaz

• Tech
  • Deep GXP
    • Cherod/solstice
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 08:15:21 AM »
No chemicals at all. I use a microfiber towel that came with it. I think these are stress cracks from having the top up. I was hoping there might be a different way of installing them so as to reduce the stress from flexing. I may have to remove them when the top is up.

This vendor also offers a lexan option so I might go for that.

Offline Maui Sky

• Tech
  • tech
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 08:50:51 AM »
Spend the money one time and stop hassling with the vendor replacing it for free. I've had my windrestrictor on my kappa for over 4 years with no hint of spider cracks or dulling, still looks like new. The quality of their products is unmatched.

Offline crisco

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
  • My Precious!
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2014, 09:06:57 AM »
I got the version 2 they call it from winderestictor, it mounts on the inside of the tulip so you don't have to remove it when you put the top up as they suggest for the version one model. It is held on with super strong Velcro and haven't' had a problem with it so far.
My Precious! 2007  Solstice GXP, Aggressive, Santana Cup Holder, Beachparty Fuse Box Cover,DDM Backbone Brace, DDM Performance Probeam, DDM Latin Venom Brace, DDM Oil Catch Can (Red), DDM LNF Intake Tube (Red), DDM Radiator Hose (Red), Wind Restricter, Solo Performance Mach Shorty Exhaust,...more to come!

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2014, 02:12:19 PM »
If you have the bumper pieces on the glass that keep the windrestrictor from touching the convertible top when it's up, that causes the bending stress which leads to the spider cracks.  I had the version 1 and went to the version 2 on the other side of the tulip.  Much betters....

Offline ihawk95

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2014, 04:02:11 PM »
I have version 1 and have the cracks from leaving it in with the top up. My WR has been in since 2007. The cracks are a little worse, but not so bad that it has fully broken the WR.

Offline Sting Ya

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2014, 04:22:37 PM »
Don't understand why you have to remove it when you put the top up the one I have stays on all the time and I have had it for over 3 years with no cracks.

Offline odiaz

• Tech
  • Deep GXP
    • Cherod/solstice
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2014, 05:19:26 PM »
When the top is up, the glass presses against the wind restrictor and pushes it forward. The vendors all give you little rubber bumpers to glue to the rear window so as to create a small gap to prevent the Wind restrictor from rubbing against the defroster.  This pushes the wind restrictor even further forward.

Thinking about it, I think the problem might occur over the winter.  The cold northeast weather makes the windrestrictor more brittle and the constant pressure form the top pushing it forward might be what is causing the cracks.  I'm definitely going to remove it going forward when I put the top up for more than 1 night if I stay with the version 1.

Offline ihawk95

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2014, 05:33:27 AM »
That's exactly why you are supposed to remove it. I thought the little plastic pieces are supposed to go between the trunk and WR, not the glass.
Anyway, back in 2007, as I recall the instructions recommended to remove it when the top is up, because the glass from the top puts pressure on it.

I was lazy and didn't do this so I have some cracks. Took a good 3 years or so to get them.

Oh and my plastic pieces are long gone. They came off the first summer I had the WR.