Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: WTB: new Vacuum for the house  (Read 5955 times)

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
WTB: new Vacuum for the house
« on: August 11, 2014, 01:41:26 AM »
We have an iRobot. His name is Albert. He does a good job maintaining the house presentable. However, with 4 dogs, we are in need of a new upright vac. Our old Hoover is on the way out. I'm looking for suggestions and reviews. Now that I see a decent Vac is a few bills, I want to be sure I get a good machine.
4 dogs, two people with combo hardwood, tile and area rugs. No carpet in the house. Want a good strong vac that will pull the dog hair and dirt out of the rugs and also work well on the hardwood and tile. Attachments for easy cleaning of sofa cushions and the car are an added bonus. I have a great shop vac for that stuff, but it wouldn't hurt to have an alternative.

Thanks in advance for the truth.

GJ
Looking for a new super sucker
Make the right choices now

Offline critter

• Master Tech
  • Married, 4 grandkids
Re: WTB: new Vacuum for the house
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 12:57:56 PM »
We have an iRobot. His name is Albert. He does a good job maintaining the house presentable. However, with 4 dogs, we are in need of a new upright vac. Our old Hoover is on the way out. I'm looking for suggestions and reviews. Now that I see a decent Vac is a few bills, I want to be sure I get a good machine.
4 dogs, two people with combo hardwood, tile and area rugs. No carpet in the house. Want a good strong vac that will pull the dog hair and dirt out of the rugs and also work well on the hardwood and tile. Attachments for easy cleaning of sofa cushions and the car are an added bonus. I have a great shop vac for that stuff, but it wouldn't hurt to have an alternative.

GJ
My suggestion to go to the Consumer Reports website or get the most recent yearly review. They will have all the tests done , list the prices and rate the Best Buys bases upon the projected use. For what it's worth we gave an upright Oreck and we find it very good - no bags and no mess. Spray one of the dogs with Endust and get it to race around the house.
My suggestion is to go to the Consumer Reports website

GJ
or find the m
I always wanted to be somebody when I grew up - I realize now that I should have been more specific!!

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 01:06:03 PM »
My question to you: how much you can spend?
For a decent amount per month I can have someone from Romania to clean your house :lol:
Dragula  ;) Opel GT  from Romania
Arabas: take fotos, videos and keep all girls locked inside the house. Kelu's charm is irresistible !!!!

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 01:11:47 PM »
How much are we talking there Kelu?
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Helios

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Play Hard; Drive Harder!
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 01:26:04 PM »
For a decent amount per month I can have someone from Romania to clean your house :lol:

Will you be wearing a maid outfit, too? LOL!
"Gwyneth"
V8 swap in progress
RPi GT/ SOLO Exhaust

Offline ihawk95

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 02:28:23 PM »
I have a Shark Professional.  Love it!  Should be around $200.  Lightweight, has the attachments you are looking for and from what I've heard (no data though), it has similar suction to a Dyson.

It works very well on the fur!

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014, 02:52:25 PM »
Will you be wearing a maid outfit, too? LOL!
It's all about price :)
Reed might know some of my prices  :lol:
Arabas: take fotos, videos and keep all girls locked inside the house. Kelu's charm is irresistible !!!!

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2014, 03:33:47 PM »

You trying to give Critter (the older one) a heart attack?
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Sting Ya

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2014, 05:28:13 PM »
If you have dogs a Dyson Animal  DC41 is the way to go . I have 4 Boerboels  who for the most part are house dogs I run the vacuum everyday and even though they have short hair I'm amazed at how much dog hair this thing picks up.There is no bag to throw out just a canister to empty and the head adjusts from tile floor to carpet plus their service after the sale can't be beat. You can't go wrong getting one of these well built and  worth the money .Just wanted to add we have an Oreck XL 21 which I think is a very good vacuum and a Hoover Wind Tunnel Pus and this has them both beat
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 06:37:26 PM by Sting Ya »

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2014, 06:06:40 PM »
We also have a Dyson.  I was very reluctant to get one thinking it was overpriced and overhyped.  Plus, consumer reports generally rate them middle of the pack.  But I saw a 'refurb' deal (~$200) and so took the plunge.

But I have to say we love it.  Very easy to use (with the exception of the learning curve on how to extract the tool hose); doesn't tip when using the hose; easy to turn on and off and switch between carpet-solid floors; easy to empty with little dust. And the suction really does stay constant. It really does seem like they really put a lot of thought into all the design aspects.

Very impressed and I would rate it far better than all the other vac's we've had over the years (Kenwood, Bissell, Hoover, Sharp, Panasonic...)
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline reedred

• Turgid
  • Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2014, 07:25:35 PM »
It's all about price :)
Reed might know some of my prices  :lol:

All it takes is a Silence of the Lambs van and a bottle of Coke.  I didn't even have to spike it!

We too have a Dyson.  I bought it on Black Friday at Target for about $250 instead of $500 or so.  It has very worked well the few times I personally have used it and the cleaning ladies have never complained. 

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2014, 07:36:57 PM »

Kelu-

I'll pay $100 per month, but SHE must be almost as attractive as Madalina. No trickery     

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2014, 07:38:06 PM »
Shark Pro
Dyson Animal

Any other suggestions?

TS- any specific site for the refurb deal?

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2014, 08:06:04 PM »
We have 2 Dysons a canister and an upright.   We recently purchased a Shark Pro.   Once you learn how to handle the Shark (tends to tip) it holds it's own with the Dyson.
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline critter

• Master Tech
  • Married, 4 grandkids
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2014, 08:24:10 PM »
I have a Shark Professional.  Love it!  Should be around $200.  Lightweight, has the attachments you are looking for and from what I've heard (no data though), it has similar suction to a Dyson.

Really. And what exactly does one try with remove from 'fur' with a Dyson vacuum? I can't remember if I am the older of the old Critters but the question still stands.....
I always wanted to be somebody when I grew up - I realize now that I should have been more specific!!

Offline reedred

• Turgid
  • Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2014, 08:27:42 PM »
Kelu-

I'll pay $100 per month, but SHE must be almost as attractive as Madalina. No trickery     

I pay $120 once per month.  Aesthetically the two of them are each almost on par with Madalina.  In the Summer they wear short shorts and the way the one cleans the toilet is basically obscene.  If that's what you're looking for be willing to spend the extra $20, or next time you're in NY schedule it so you're here on cleaning lady night.

Offline Helios

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Play Hard; Drive Harder!
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2014, 08:57:36 PM »
I have a Dyson DC25. It cleans up all the fur from my husky, and 2 husky/ australian shepard mixes. I transition from carpet to hardwood to vinyl with ease. I bought the duster attachment to vacuum all of the window blinds. I love my Dyson!
"Gwyneth"
V8 swap in progress
RPi GT/ SOLO Exhaust

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2014, 09:13:51 PM »
Really. And what exactly does one try with remove from 'fur' with a Dyson vacuum? I can't remember if I am the older of the old Critters but the question still stands.....

Unless you had a job at a quarry that included a brontosaur I think it's probably the other one.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2014, 11:45:52 AM »
All it takes is a Silence of the Lambs van and a bottle of Coke.  I didn't even have to spike it!
It was a pack of Cokes, not a bottle, common, don't sell me so cheap. Are you mentioning Spicy here? :lol:

Kelu-

For that money you can do it yourself   :lol: ah, wait for that amount I have only one offer, he can be/do whatever you want, you pay me the $100 and I will pay him. SA and can refer the guy  :D

I pay $120 once per month.  Aesthetically the two of them are each almost on par with Madalina.  In the Summer they wear short shorts and the way the one cleans the toilet is basically obscene.  If that's what you're looking for be willing to spend the extra $20, or next time you're in NY schedule it so you're here on cleaning lady night.
Now you are saying that???  :gaah:

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2014, 01:22:07 PM »
For the record I will not be referring any guy.

Kelu were you thinking T-bag?  Didn't you tell me he was in prison at the last MM?  We never could convince him that T-bag was a really bad nickname. :roll:

I think for just 5 Euro's GJ could get Bogdan's Mom, I haven't seen her so buyer beware.

2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2014, 01:34:23 PM »
SA: I was thinking to Bogdan, not T-bag.

Offline U4EA

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2014, 03:51:30 PM »
For us the Dyson Animal 11+ years and 4 dogs, still going strong. :thumbs: :thumbs:
2007 Mysterious GXP Hard Loaded (all factory options avail. in 2007)
Trifecta Tune, GMPP Tune, GMPP CAI, Gm splash guards, Magnaflow 3" catback, DDM Race Backbone, "A" pillar gauge pod, Kapparoo pouch, Lil' Chromies, Gorgeous mirror, JPM center console & center grab handle, Windrestrictor V2 etched & lighted, Carolina Custom Upholstery door pockets, Kappakrap T2 decals, Custom front license plate relocation, Latin Venom Cooler, Fitted luggage, MBRP intercooler pipes, heat shield.

Offline NormSky

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2014, 04:39:07 PM »
I have one that has a an attachment specifically for dog hair. My dogs have longer hair but when I watch the friend's Jack Russell that coarse, short, white hair can get weaved into fabric specifically the car seats. I believe it is a Bissell that is dog specific with a canister for easy emptying and a foam filter for dust that can be washed. The attachment to the hose spins a brush that is propelled from the vacuum generatated by the sweeper itself. That brushes are just the right length pull hair out almost the whole car seat, better than I can do with the sticky side of packaging tape. It works really well.

Otherwise the i-Robot keeps up with the almost daily cleanings and light duty stuff on hardwood floors.
07 Sky Hahn Boosted - 44 MPG  40 mpg with air conditioning on.

Offline ihawk95

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2014, 09:24:56 PM »
Unless you had a job at a quarry that included a brontosaur I think it's probably the other one.

Oh it's a pretty close race between the 2 actually. They can't be more than 2 years apart... If they are that! Critter 2 is old enough to retire also!

Offline ihawk95

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2014, 09:31:36 PM »
Jack Russell fur is stubborn and they shed more than you think! White fur everywhere! I've had 2 jacks. Just put the last one down late last fall unfortunately. No more white fur, but Hawkeye has decided to shed more than ever this summer to make up for the jack russell!

I seriously thought about the Dyson for pets and others that were pet specific, but the Shark had no issues with the dog fur.
It also has a canister and I've had no problems with mess when emptying it. Again, I've been quite pleased with it.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 09:35:42 AM by ihawk95 »