Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: DDMWorks Short Throw Shifter  (Read 33885 times)

Offline Sting Ya

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
Re: DDMWorks Short Throw Shifter
« Reply #50 on: August 29, 2014, 07:54:17 PM »
Dave after reading the installation instructions the first thing that came to mind when I got to the part about cutting the rubber boot is to use an exacto knife for a nice clean cut .When I get mine if no one else has done it this way I'll give a heads up as to how it works can't wait to try this out ! Once again thanks for continuing to make great products for our cars     :thumbs:

Offline Sting Ya

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #51 on: August 29, 2014, 08:21:14 PM »
ORDERED!! Woot, woot!

So, Dave, I looked at the installation instructs...  Is there a way to get the factory rubber boot off first, so you don't have to cut it?
    T.S you beat me to the punch ! so I guess I'm number 2 on the list anyway I was looking at the installation instructions and without taking everything apart I'm going to try an exacto knife to cut the boot .

Offline Helios

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Play Hard; Drive Harder!
« Reply #52 on: August 29, 2014, 11:06:20 PM »
Ordered. Hope I like it.
"Gwyneth"
V8 swap in progress
RPi GT/ SOLO Exhaust

Offline cdflint

• Master Tech
« Reply #53 on: August 30, 2014, 10:04:06 AM »
Could... not... resist... Purchase ordered.

Question, instructions call for all purpose grease. I cant believe I'm saying this but how much to grease it up? This install pics look like it is cleaned off. Should you grease up both balls? (Dont TDE or ban me).
She's an 09 Brazen GXP.

Covered by Norms Fiberglass, DDM, WERKS, KappaSphere, Trifecta performance, Dejon performance, Solo performance, Magnaflow, Hahn, VDI, B&G, ASAP, WindRestrictor, Gravana, JPM, Santana, Madmod, HID pro, Second Skin Audio, mydipkit, Automotivetouchup.com and Smoothline.

To be or not to be hard, that is the question. I prefer my top off and still hard when I need it.

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #54 on: August 30, 2014, 11:01:45 AM »
Best.....legit.....question......EVER
Make the right choices now

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #55 on: August 30, 2014, 01:02:00 PM »
I would think one would want to incur as little wear as possible with regard to their balls.  But they are your balls so do what you think is best.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline wspohn

• Master Tech
« Reply #56 on: August 30, 2014, 01:03:40 PM »
Dave.

When are you going to offer the same thing to those of us who have a V8 with a six speed trans attached? We need a short throw shifter too!!!

Those are already available from various vendors - MTI is one (and at a bit higher price than Dave's). No point reinventing the wheel, DDM has developed this product for the AR5, a transmission that no one else offers performance bits for.

That means we ARE the market, except perhaps for a few Colorado owners stuffing LSx engines into their trucks and looking for such things. (Can't see any Hummer H3 or Isuzu Trooper owners being into this sort of thing).
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
1958 MGA Twincam (race car)
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
Recently sold:
1969 MGC roadster,
1965 Jensen CV8,
1969 Lamborghini Islero S
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT
Bill in BC

Offline Dave@DDMworks

• Vendor
  • Gearhead
    • DDMworks
« Reply #57 on: August 30, 2014, 01:04:37 PM »
Could... not... resist... Purchase ordered.

Question, instructions call for all purpose grease. I cant believe I'm saying this but how much to grease it up? This install pics look like it is cleaned off. Should you grease up both balls? (Dont TDE or ban me).

I think we need to start a FAQ section for the install, and that is the first question :)

Seriously though, when you pull out the stock shifter, you will see how much grease is on it, just make the new one look about the same.
Dave Michel
DDMWorks
Sales - 864-438-4949
Tech Support - 864-907-6004

WWW.DDMworks.com
Dave@DDMWorks.com

Stage 3 Supercharged 2.4L - 314whp - 93 octane
Rotrex Supercharged 2.4L - 303whp - 93 octane
2871 Hybrid turbo 2.0L - 371whp - 93 octane

Offline Helios

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #58 on: August 30, 2014, 01:18:30 PM »
I think we need to start a FAQ section for the install, and that is the first question :)

Seriously though, when you pull out the stock shifter, you will see how much grease is on it, just make the new one look about the same.

In other words, grease dem balls!
"Gwyneth"
V8 swap in progress
RPi GT/ SOLO Exhaust

Offline cdnite

• Master Tech
« Reply #59 on: August 30, 2014, 01:57:26 PM »
The AR5 is also a a upgrade replacement for the Toyotas and other Japanese cars using the r150 series especially the r154 from the Celica, Supra, Soarer, Chaser.

It is also swappable with the AX15 from the Wrangler and some other trucks.

DDM could be selling a ton of these to those guys also!

Also at some point the Colorado/Canyon/H3 had a Core/Hurst short throw shifter for the AR5, but it wouldn't work with the Kappa platform because of tunnel clearance or something...

--Christian
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 02:03:53 PM by cdnite »

Offline cooper1340s

• Tech
« Reply #60 on: August 30, 2014, 02:27:17 PM »
I notice that the question about getting one of these made for the Tremec 6 speed equipped V8 cars is being studiously ignored!
06 SLY, Sand&Steel, Formerly DDM Stage III Intercooled/Supercharged: NOW LS3/480 V8, Tremec 6 speed, 3.23 positraction Getrag differential, custom stainless steel true dual exhaust system w/high flow cats, carbon fiber rear valance, red powder coated calipers, DDMWorks Stage 1 brake upgrade, extra horn, garage door opener, customized fuse box cover, Red anodized engine covers, DDMWorks console, Lambo doors, clear bra, DDMWorks red racing backbone, car is de-badged.

Offline cdflint

• Master Tech
« Reply #61 on: August 30, 2014, 06:49:59 PM »
Good news, my wife said she would help me.
She's an 09 Brazen GXP.

Covered by Norms Fiberglass, DDM, WERKS, KappaSphere, Trifecta performance, Dejon performance, Solo performance, Magnaflow, Hahn, VDI, B&G, ASAP, WindRestrictor, Gravana, JPM, Santana, Madmod, HID pro, Second Skin Audio, mydipkit, Automotivetouchup.com and Smoothline.

To be or not to be hard, that is the question. I prefer my top off and still hard when I need it.

Offline wspohn

• Master Tech
« Reply #62 on: August 31, 2014, 09:50:34 AM »
I notice that the question about getting one of these made for the Tremec 6 speed equipped V8 cars is being studiously ignored!

What would the point be?  Like I said, they are already available in the same price range, so unless DDM wants to compete, why bother?
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
Recently sold:
1969 MGC roadster,
1965 Jensen CV8,
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT
Bill in BC

Offline Dave@DDMworks

• Vendor
  • Gearhead
    • DDMworks
« Reply #63 on: August 31, 2014, 11:20:04 AM »

There are actually a pretty good amount of short shifters available for the T56 already, since yours is a GTO transmission, if you do a search for GTO T56 short shifter, there are plenty of options that pop up. All of the newer V8 swaps we are doing are using the TR6060 transmission and we make a custom shifter for those that is shorter than stock for that one already.

Hope that helps,
Dave
Dave Michel
DDMWorks
Sales - 864-438-4949

WWW.DDMworks.com
Dave@DDMWorks.com

Offline ChopTop

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #64 on: September 02, 2014, 10:52:35 AM »
I placed this in the cart 3 times this weekend but couldn't get myself to submit (grrr).  Buying a Smoothline hardtop has tapped me out (still waiting for it to be made). 

But still looking forward to reading reviews from those of you who bought a short throw shifter.

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #65 on: September 03, 2014, 10:03:23 PM »
I'm not sure if this is the right thread for this but...

I'm sitting in the PHX airport with a 2.5 hour layover. I've challenged the bartender to make Rye drinks I've never had. So far I'm up 2-0
He must be an amateur. He started with a Manhattan and went to an Old Fashion. Does he think I'm a ROOKIE?
Make the right choices now

Offline Jackknife

• Founding Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #66 on: September 09, 2014, 01:55:27 PM »
Today's the 9th...are they being shipped yet?
Deep, Ebony, Loaded...VIN 2124

DDM Supercharger #6 Stage II Intercooled
Magnaflow Dual Cat-back ... Valentine 1
FE3 sway bar ... Car. Cust. Rests and Pockets
Norm's Dual Rear Fascia ... Visor Decals
Walnut Burl Dash ... Dual Horns
Recessed Grills ... Debadged
Boost & A/F gauges ... KappaShield
DDM Pro-Beam and back brace
Solo Hi-Flo Cat

Listen to 'er why-ee-eye-ine..

Offline Dave@DDMworks

• Vendor
  • Gearhead
    • DDMworks
« Reply #67 on: September 09, 2014, 10:09:24 PM »
Today's the 9th...are they being shipped yet?

Nope ;) We had a ton of pre-orders for these so we had to have them make a few extra, so they are shipping to us the end of the week. Hopefully you did get the email from Ivy on the update.
Dave Michel
DDMWorks
Sales - 864-438-4949

WWW.DDMworks.com
Dave@DDMWorks.com

Offline tailhooker

• Premium Member
  • Tech
« Reply #68 on: September 14, 2014, 09:10:16 PM »
So..................Hypothetically................If one has the JPM shifter already...............what exactly does this product add?

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #69 on: September 14, 2014, 09:14:36 PM »
With this product you won't move your hand as far during shifts thus faster shifts.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline wspohn

• Master Tech
« Reply #70 on: September 15, 2014, 11:01:41 AM »
So..................Hypothetically................If one has the JPM shifter already...............what exactly does this product add?

All the JPM shifter gets you is a different knob and less weight in the ball end, which ironically can apparently result in buzz and vibration the factory knob didn't give.

This shifter changes the geometry of the shifter and gives you shorter throws. 
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
Recently sold:
1969 MGC roadster,
1965 Jensen CV8,
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT
Bill in BC

Offline cdflint

• Master Tech
« Reply #71 on: September 17, 2014, 05:37:53 PM »
I've been zapped by paypal. Meaning something is coming my way.  :drive:
She's an 09 Brazen GXP.

Offline critter

• Master Tech
  • Married, 4 grandkids
« Reply #72 on: September 17, 2014, 06:28:06 PM »
All the JPM shifter gets you is a different knob and less weight in the ball end, which ironically can apparently result in buzz and vibration the factory knob didn't give.

This shifter changes the geometry of the shifter and gives you shorter throws.
I don't kin where this comes from whether personal experience or hearsay but I can tell you that I just put in a beautiful red on black JPM (installed by Dave at Werks ) and nothing can further from the feel of what is in my car. I like it better in just about every way than the stock piece. I couldn't let this one go without a rebuttal especially with it being so disparaging. Sometimes I think people post and collect commissions. My point about the Werks installation was that is done professionally and not by someone who thinks they know how to follow instructions. Sometimes I think this attitude of 'I will install everything' leads to some problems and quality concerns not the product itself. My two cents worth.
I always wanted to be somebody when I grew up - I realize now that I should have been more specific!!

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #73 on: September 17, 2014, 09:26:35 PM »
I don't kin where this comes from whether personal experience or hearsay but I can tell you that I just put in a beautiful red on black JPM (installed by Dave at Werks ) and nothing can further from the feel of what is in my car. I like it better in just about every way than the stock piece. I couldn't let this one go without a rebuttal especially with it being so disparaging.
Sorry, but I agree with Bill.  The lighter mass in the shaft and knob CAN result in resonance buzzing.  There's a reason the factory put so much mass in the original shifter assembly!

Experienced it myself with my JPM shifter.  It's not disparaging, it's just physics!  After I swapped mine, I felt sure that something was going wrong with the transmission, until I realized what it was. I found I could dampen mine out by filling all the space above the shaft inside the knob, with mastic, and hammering a spacer washer of just the right thickness that I could tighten the knob really well and still align the shift pattern.  No space, no looseness, no resonance.
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline Helios

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #74 on: September 18, 2014, 08:57:13 AM »
I too had resonance/ buzzing when I installed my JPM shifter. I contacted JPM Joe about it and he suggested I buy a stainless steel shifter ball to fix the problem. I did make the additional purchase and the additional mass of the stainless ball fixed the problem.
"Gwyneth"
V8 swap in progress
RPi GT/ SOLO Exhaust