Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Your recalled/repaired ignition may be recalled again!  (Read 7396 times)

Offline DaveOC

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
  • Running Wisconsin
Your recalled/repaired ignition may be recalled again!
« on: August 20, 2014, 07:31:57 PM »
 Your recalled ignition may be recalled again!

If you have had the ignition recall completed, you will be receiving another letter from GM, your repaired/recalled ignition switch is being recalled again.

You'd think they'd of got it right the first time, but apparently they still haven't issued a new part number for the fixed ignition switch.

https://autos.yahoo.com/news/gm-recall-extends-own-recalls-200002999.html;_ylt=AwrBEiHkKPVTnyEABZg2m4lQ

I mentioned this to a GM Service Manager while I was visiting on another issue, and his response was that I would be getting another letter, most likely another recall.

SMH

So, to make this clear, your recalled ignition switch may have been replaced with one of the older defective switches.

Please pass this on, along with the link above.

EDIT 08/21/2014:  Another article which explains the recall on the recall repair a bit better than the link above:

https://autos.yahoo.com/news/gm-recall-puts-bad-ignition-switches-back-cars-181500602.html;_ylt=AwrBEiTlSfZTASYAl2U2m4lQ
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 03:54:47 PM by DaveOC »
Aggressive #000741

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
Re: Your recalled/repaired ignition may be recalled again!
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 09:42:07 PM »
Got mine done today, so I hope not.
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline MomsSol

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 07:26:23 AM »
I saw an article about a month ago on this but when I went back to check it again it had been removed.

Shame it didn't come out before now and saved many people the hassle again!
Just here to help a friend! :thumbs:
True Lady Gearhead :)
We'll Miss You PONTIAC! :cryin:

Offline Wartie

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 08:07:17 AM »
Good thing that I procrastinated so long. I may wait even longer this time.

Offline Sting Ya

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 08:24:41 AM »
If it's anything like the last one I'll probably get my notice after my car is stored for the winter and have to wait another 6 or 7 months if I'm lucky    :gaah:

Offline ChopTop

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 01:46:40 PM »
Good thing that I procrastinated so long. I may wait even longer this time.

Ditto

Offline ihawk95

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 02:12:55 PM »
This is why I'm waiting.

1. I don't trust that the "new" switch is a good fix.  Too many stuck key stories coming from the 2008 and 2009's which should have good switches.
2. I had a feeling something stupid like this would happen during the recall scramble!

Good job GM!!!  The hits just keep on coming!

Offline DaveOC

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
  • Running Wisconsin
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2014, 02:36:33 PM »
The stuck key issues are separate from the ignition switch issues,  two different parts on opposite sides of the steering column. 
Aggressive #000741

Offline DaveOC

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
  • Running Wisconsin
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2014, 03:52:31 PM »
Another article which explains the recall on the recall repair a bit better than the link in my original message:

https://autos.yahoo.com/news/gm-recall-puts-bad-ignition-switches-back-cars-181500602.html;_ylt=AwrBEiTlSfZTASYAl2U2m4lQ

« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 03:55:32 PM by DaveOC »
Aggressive #000741

Offline ihawk95

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2014, 03:55:40 PM »
The stuck key issues are separate from the ignition switch issues,  two different parts on opposite sides of the steering column. 

I thought the keys not turning had to do with the tumbler?  No??
Sorry...I should have worded it better to say "Keys that won't turn in the ignition" rather than a key that won't come out.

Offline DaveOC

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
  • Running Wisconsin
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2014, 04:31:08 PM »
I thought the keys not turning had to do with the tumbler?  No??
Sorry...I should have worded it better to say "Keys that won't turn in the ignition" rather than a key that won't come out.

The tumbler/cylinder/(the think you stick the key in) is on the right side of the steering column, and is a recall of its own. The ignition switch is on the left side of the column, over by the turn signal switch, covered by a different recall.  They are just both being done at the same time.
Aggressive #000741

Offline DaveOC

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
  • Running Wisconsin
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2014, 05:00:07 PM »

This is a Cobalt ignition system, same as the Solstice/Sky, made up of multiple, unique parts.  As you can see in the pic, the ignition switch is at the far left of the system, while the key/tumbler/cylinder is at the far right of the system.  They connect to each other via a shaft, but are separate parts with different part numbers.
Aggressive #000741

Offline LatinVenom

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2014, 05:16:07 PM »
Well, maybe now you will all understand why I did not want to do it, specially after doing my test that proved at least my switch was fine.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 04:41:38 PM by LatinVenom »
Solstice GXP 2007.
Aggressive and fully loaded.
Mods: Magnaflow 2.5" exhaust, DDM Backbone & ProBeam,ZOK suspension,LV Kappa Front Chassis Brace, BTF Turbo Upgraded Wheel, Windristrictor, JPM Center console,arms,tulip,side doors,DDM Upgraded wheel tune.

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2014, 05:24:25 PM »
My switch was fine too, but I had mine recall swap done anyway to get the cylinder replaced because of the spike in complaints about stuck keys in the barrel.
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline POS VETT

• Master Tech
  • AINT YRS
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2014, 06:02:10 PM »
Mine wouldn't get done until next year anyway. I have plenty of time for this to unfold further.

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2014, 06:30:33 PM »
Mine wouldn't get done until next year anyway. I have plenty of time for this to unfold further.

Yeah me too.
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline reedred

• Turgid
  • Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2014, 07:48:01 PM »
I suspect all of this is because someone at Consumer Reports doesn't understand what he's reading.  The Yahoo articles aren't their own reporting; they both say they're basically regurgitated from CR.  I can't find any other articles about this from reputable automotive sources (CR is great if you need a washing machine, but I've never known a gearhead who took them seriously), and there's no mention of it on the GM recall site 2 weeks later.

Here's a handy chart from GM of all their recalls to date this year: http://media.gm.com/content/dam/Media/images/US/Release_Images/2014/05-2014/recalls/Recalls-Running-Total.jpg They have recalled so many cars this year that I seriously doubt they'd miss listing this situation or try to cover it up.

When you read the explanation in that second Yahoo article, it is the reason that the ignition recall was expanded to the later years (2008-2010 in the case of the Kappas) back in March: some cars may have left the factory with good parts and subsequently been repaired with bad at dealerships.

GM is capable of a lot of stupidity, but I refuse to believe this until I see something from a more reliable source or someone's notice that their car has to have the recall service repeated.

Offline reedred

• Turgid
  • Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2014, 07:51:44 PM »
... and here's a GM recall bulletin from May explaining to dealers what the recall is about.  It mentions the old and new part numbers.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/UCM455666/RCRIT-14V047-7496.pdf

Offline ihawk95

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2014, 12:19:42 PM »
The tumbler/cylinder/(the think you stick the key in) is on the right side of the steering column, and is a recall of its own. The ignition switch is on the left side of the column, over by the turn signal switch, covered by a different recall.  They are just both being done at the same time.

Got it.  I might as well wait some more!

Offline EarthNTX

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2014, 08:18:55 PM »
I think this is just crazy! What's the matter with GM? Get it right, will ya?
Ride it like you mean it.

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2014, 08:24:32 PM »
As Reed points out this may just be a myth, as there isn't much to back it up.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline crisco

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
  • My Precious!
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2014, 09:11:05 AM »
I notice it's for model years 2008 and up. So my 2007 that was repaired got a good one??? :idk:
My Precious! 2007  Solstice GXP, Aggressive, Santana Cup Holder, Beachparty Fuse Box Cover,DDM Backbone Brace, DDM Performance Probeam, DDM Latin Venom Brace, DDM Oil Catch Can (Red), DDM LNF Intake Tube (Red), DDM Radiator Hose (Red), Wind Restricter, Solo Performance Mach Shorty Exhaust,...more to come!

Offline crisco

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
  • My Precious!
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2014, 09:13:06 AM »
Never mind had to read farther down sorry. :banghead:

PART INFORMATION
Important: Due to a different vehicle security system, the ignition switch required for this recall
is different than the ignition switch required for the 2003-2007 model year vehicles involved in
recalls 13454 and 14063. We are diligently working with the supplier to obtain an initial supply
of this new part (part number 23228993) as quickly as possible.
My Precious! 2007  Solstice GXP, Aggressive, Santana Cup Holder, Beachparty Fuse Box Cover,DDM Backbone Brace, DDM Performance Probeam, DDM Latin Venom Brace, DDM Oil Catch Can (Red), DDM LNF Intake Tube (Red), DDM Radiator Hose (Red), Wind Restricter, Solo Performance Mach Shorty Exhaust,...more to come!

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2014, 11:42:23 AM »
Why was this made a sticky?  I think we need to verify if this is actually new news first.  Right now it's looking more like a rehash of old news, causing panic for nothing.

Crisco, please note the bulletin that Reed posted was from MAY!

Offline crisco

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
  • My Precious!
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2014, 03:21:26 PM »
Yes your right it was dated from may but I received my notice in March or April, I believe. Have to see it when I get home.
But that is also addressing  the issue from 2008 and up vehicles too. I mean that looks like a separate letter from GM's initial recall. Does it not?

from the letter:
CORRECTION
Dealers are to replace the ignition switch. (This is in addition to replacing the ignition cylinder
(if necessary) and cutting and relearning new keys for safety recall 14113 or 14133, as
appropriate, (to be performed during the same repair visit as 14092).)
 Didn't want to start of, nor be part of a panic.