Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Install of High-flow CAT  (Read 10507 times)

Offline roxer

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
Re: Install of High-flow CAT
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2014, 02:09:57 PM »
Finished. Took more time than I wanted.  Had to go get a 22mm wrench to deal with the lower sensor.  Other than that, went really smooth. Love the low throaty sound it gives. I will get it out on the road later today to get the ecm to recalculate.   :drive:

I don't know how you guys fit under there with a creeper. I'm 6'1"with a 46" chest and 32" waist. Needless to say it was a tight fit, but totally worth it. Thanks to all you guys for you instructions and info on the install. Billable and Dave - big kudos!

PS - didn't have to unplug anything or jack up the engine. Very happy about that.   :yay:
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 02:18:30 PM by roxer »
2002 Isuzu Rodeo Sport - Still kicking!
2008 Polar Sky Redline - Auto - Fully Loaded
2007 Mysterious Solstice GXP - Current list of Mods

Offline roxer

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2014, 10:37:54 PM »
So drove the car for a while twice today and have the following observations.  First, I get a strong gas smell now when I first crank the car and have the a/c fan going pulling outside air (just the fan- a/c is off).  It goes away after driving it for a while.  Is that normal?

Second, I get a lite smell of exhaust when sitting idle or also when the fan is on. Does any of this go away?  I did pull the battery cable when I started the work, so the ECM should have started relearning. The car does seem to have more power to it, especially during takeoff. Sounds great too.

Anyone else experience these issues after changing out thier CAT?

Offline Billablehours

• Tech
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2014, 11:12:52 PM »
You are going to get a smell for a little while as the oils from machining the cat burn off.  My smell went away after just a few minutes of driving. It shouldn't really be an exhaust smell though.  Hopefully you did get the gasket on and tighten the top bolts evenly.  I bet it is just the smell of oil burning off. I don't know about the fuel smell.  Maybe the ECU is really richening up the fuel to deal with the increased air flow.  As long as you didn't damage any fuel lines or rails I bet it will go away. 

Offline roxer

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2014, 12:10:38 PM »
I'll admitt I didn't use a torque wrench to snug the upper nuts. I'll go back and do that today just take sure. But just from the "elbow meter", I'd say I was close.

Offline Billablehours

• Tech
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2014, 04:55:59 PM »
Good idea. I was actually surprised at the effort necessary to get the right torque. I think the odd angles you have to hold the wrench make it seem like you are putting more torque on the bolt than you actually are. 

Offline roxer

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2014, 05:53:02 PM »
Well, between my Mk1 Eye Ball and calibrated elbow, I was extremely close if not over torqued on the nuts. Retorqued them anyway. Still smelling the exhaust smelll though. Gas smell is there, but only for a few seconds (30 or so). Not sure where to look now. No soot that I can see except the tail pipes are more evenly sooted up.

Offline roxer

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2014, 09:25:07 AM »
Threw a CEL this morning. Great.

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2014, 11:03:01 AM »
I wonder if it's that EPA solenoid, when it goes bad you get a fuel smell and CEL.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline roxer

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2014, 11:16:45 AM »
I'm guessing the leak is in the front pipe to CAT. Not sure, but the second O2 sensor is after that connection.  Is that possible? Could a leak there cause a CEL code? Did anyone use something not in the kit to help seal that better?

Offline Billablehours

• Tech
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2014, 01:06:34 PM »
Did you put the O2 sensor extension in the bung on the lower part of the CAT?   The extension is necessary to keep the sensor out of the main flow and not throw a CEL.

Offline roxer

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2014, 01:51:30 PM »
Yep, did that.  Car took a while to throw the CEL, so it must be a slow leak. I talked to Jeff at Solo and he suggested to losen everything and retighten starting with the lower left nut first - and crank it as tight as I can get it. Then do the others.  We'll see. I came home to get this fixed, so I'll wait until it cools off some before working on it.

Offline roxer

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2014, 04:12:47 PM »
So unloosened everything and tightened it back. No smell and no CEL!  Found the culprit to be the drivers side lower nut so I cranked it down. Had some soot on the exhaust manifold. Thanks for the help.  Now on to the next mod for my Crackstice.

Offline Billablehours

• Tech
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2014, 05:46:09 PM »
Good news.  good job!