Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Battery replacement  (Read 1113 times)

Offline bluemangxp

• Founding Member
  • Tech
Battery replacement
« on: September 07, 2014, 08:20:50 PM »
Well after almost seven years my original GM battery is starting to show a weakness. I'm know I have to remove a few body bolts to exchange the new one but my main concern is will the disruption of power cause difficulties with all the electronics. Should I expect to see codes etc.? Anyone that has been through this and would like to share what happened I would appreciate hearing the outcome.

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
Re: Battery replacement
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 08:37:01 PM »
What year is the car? If you have an early 2008 you could have this issue otherwise no codes or any other issues can be created by disconnecting the battery.

http://www.kappaperformance.com/forum/index.php?topic=9034.0
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 08:41:14 PM by Sly Bob »
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline Sting Ya

• Lifetime Supporting
  • Master Tech
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 09:13:33 PM »
I went the inner fender route took about an hour ,replaced with an Optima and have not had any issues what so ever .If you are going to replace it with an Optima battery one thing that I did do on the advise of a friend who is a certified mechanic and Pro Mod drag racer is to purchase your battery from someone like Summit or Jegs .These types of batteries that are sold at the local auto parts stores can have a long shelf life because most people who buy from them are not looking to spend $180 on a battery so the ones that are sold at a store like Summit tend to be fresher.I also did a slow charge 2 amp on mine before I installed it to make sure it was fully charged .

Offline tazz

• Lifetime Supporting
  • Gearhead
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 09:50:19 PM »
just waiting for mine to fail 7 yrs 4 months still reads pretty good voltage 12.45v buts its cold cranking amps is down to 470 or so im imagining by Winter ill need a new one.  About a year ago my dealer told me i needed to replace I said its still got some life in it.

Offline POS VETT

• Master Tech
  • AINT YRS
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 07:31:09 AM »
I would try a float charger first to see if the battery could be freshened.

Offline Dave@DDMworks

• Vendor
  • Gearhead
    • DDMworks
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2014, 10:11:02 PM »
We pull the fenders when replacing them here, to make sure that we get everything back where it was, we mark all of the bolts and their locations with sharpie. Then when it goes back together you just line up all of the sharpie marks, then wipe off the sharpie with some alcohol and your done.
Dave Michel
DDMWorks
Sales - 864-438-4949
Tech Support - 864-907-6004

WWW.DDMworks.com
Dave@DDMWorks.com

Stage 3 Supercharged 2.4L - 314whp - 93 octane
Rotrex Supercharged 2.4L - 303whp - 93 octane
2871 Hybrid turbo 2.0L - 371whp - 93 octane

Offline crisco

• Lifetime Supporting
  • Master Tech
  • My Precious!
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2014, 08:53:18 AM »
Pulling the fender off take 15 min. and that includes battery replacement. add 10 min. of beer and prep work and viol-la! Done! :thumbs:
My Precious! 2007  Solstice GXP, Aggressive, Santana Cup Holder, Beachparty Fuse Box Cover,DDM Backbone Brace, DDM Performance Probeam, DDM Latin Venom Brace, DDM Oil Catch Can (Red), DDM LNF Intake Tube (Red), DDM Radiator Hose (Red), Wind Restricter,...more to come!

Offline Gentleman Jack

• I haven't been relevant for a while
  • Lifetime Supporting
  • Shop Foreman
  • When I'm walkin' I strut my stuff
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2014, 12:47:34 PM »
Mmmmmm. Beer.
May the Schwartz be wit you

Offline Redrocket

• Red Rocket
  • Supporting Member
  • Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2014, 05:37:07 PM »
GJ, I had to replace an OPTIMA twice, first time it shorted a cell or something - lasted about 2 weeks.  it takes me a little longer that the rest, about 2 hours - mainly because I didn't mark the fender to bolt positions...  other than that no real problem, no codes, just go. 

Offline Gentleman Jack

• I haven't been relevant for a while
  • Lifetime Supporting
  • Shop Foreman
  • When I'm walkin' I strut my stuff
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2014, 10:19:30 PM »

GJ, I had to replace an OPTIMA twice, first time it shorted a cell or something - lasted about 2 weeks.  it takes me a little longer that the rest, about 2 hours - mainly because I didn't mark the fender to bolt positions...  other than that no real problem, no codes, just go.

That's the best news I've had all day. Nice work.
May the Schwartz be wit you