Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: cracked exhaust manifold?  (Read 9618 times)

Offline Rogue

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
Re: cracked exhaust manifold?
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2014, 08:32:13 AM »
Nope. Not comingvfrom the water pump. That had been replaced already. The saga goes back a ways. The OEM water pump failed. Engine overheated. I suspect that a small crack developed then. Got the water pump replaced, all seemed well, until the car started using coolant again. I thought that maybe the head gasket failed (bolt stretch due to steam pockets?) since the number 2 and 3 spark plugs were wet. Still, coolant only went a little at a time. Then, one morning , the cranckcase was FULL of coolant. Had it towed to the dealer. Diagnosis - cracked block. Ordered a replacement from ZZPerformance.
Go N.A.K.3.D..

Offline tazz

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2014, 11:30:53 PM »
That's the best price Ive seen on a entire block with everything on it.

Offline Rogue

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2014, 07:40:03 AM »
Does not include throttle body, intake manifold, fuelrail, or injectors. It does include a new water pump and turbo assembly. Plus, it's a Gen 3 block, which supposedly addresses the issues causing the Gen 1 and Gen 2 blocks to crack. I'll keep the original motor and possibly replace the short block with a Gen 3 short block, also available from ZZPerformance at a ridiculously low price. That would turn my old Triumph TR6 into quite the sleeper!j
Go N.A.K.3.D..

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2014, 11:07:07 AM »
I have thought about putting an LNF into a Triumph just to F with those who think the Rover V8 is what every Brit car needed.

When you tear the old engine apart and find the crack post pictures please.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Rogue

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2014, 10:23:50 PM »
The venerable Rover V8 is a pretty neat power plant. It dates back to 1961 when GM debuted it in the Buick Skylark and Oldsmobile F-85 as the all aluminum 215. GM lost interest in the motor due to manufacturing costs (much larger cast iron V-8's were less expensive to manufacture) so they sold the rights to AMC, if memory serves me correctly, who used it in some of the Jeep lineup. British-Leyland acquired the rights from AMC. British-Leyland then found a home for it in just about everything British and it stayed in production until just a few years ago when BMW purchased Rover and started using BMW engines instead of the old aluminum V8. I had a Triumph TR8 with that motor. Loved it. Ran great, made pretty fair horsepower, and with tri-y headers and dual exhaust with free flowing mufflers made a sound that was awesome. However, it is now a dinosaur and I'd love to use an LNF to show those guys up.
Go N.A.K.3.D..

Offline Rogue

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2014, 10:24:26 PM »
Hmmmm.....looks almost as though I have hijacked my own thread.....
Go N.A.K.3.D..

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2014, 11:17:04 PM »
Hmmmm.....looks almost as though I have hijacked my own thread.....

The best kind of hijack... The "selfie"
Make the right choices now

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2014, 11:32:33 PM »
I don't recall ever hearing the AMC part but yeah GM had problems with casting the block they sold it off and Rover stuck with it and made it work.  Funniest part was when Ford ended up owning Rover and got stuck having to make a GM designed engine.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2014, 04:54:58 PM »
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline Sting Ya

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2014, 05:18:15 PM »
Rogue : You might want to think twice before you hack that Triumph up according to Hemmings the V8 cars are becoming pretty desirable as only a limited number were imported into the US

Offline Rogue

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2014, 08:06:52 PM »
Nope. Can't hack up the TR8. I already sold it. Besides, that was a really nifty car. Would have never hacked it. Far too rare. Sorry now that I sold it. I was thinking of replacing the inline 6 in my TR6 with the LNF. Hmmmm.....or maybe keep the inline 6 and fit the turbo to it......British inline 6's have a truly unique and beautiful sound about them. A turbocharged, fuel injected, inline 6......hmmmmmm......
Go N.A.K.3.D..