Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: UTQG Wear Rating  (Read 1316 times)

Offline roxer

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
UTQG Wear Rating
« on: September 25, 2014, 03:18:44 PM »
Just curious as to what the majority of you folks run?  Those that use their Kappas as daily drivers, did you stay within the original tire wear rating, or did you go for more of a summer/winter performance tire? Charlotte is either dry or wet, but rarely snowy.  What was the bottom line for you?  Nothing under 300? 400? Nothing over 400?

Mine is a spring/summer/fall and sometimes winter driver. More of a street car than autox racer, but stil... It will have the Z0K sways and springs and DDM brace kit. Just curious as to where I should look? It was easy to decide on a Navy paycheck.   :usa:  Now I want to do better and get some performance out of the car - within reason. In the end, it's still a daily driver (for now).
2002 Isuzu Rodeo Sport - Still kicking!
2008 Polar Sky Redline - Auto - Fully Loaded
2007 Mysterious Solstice GXP - Current list of Mods

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
Re: UTQG Wear Rating
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 04:53:34 PM »
The rating seems to have nothing to do with performance (at least in my limited experience).  I swapped to the Conti DWS's, which have much higher wear ratings than the stock tires, and yet got FAR better grip in wet and dry!  Better wear, better grip... Yay!
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline Silver -V-

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 09:50:37 PM »
The UTQG ratings are not based on any national standard. They tend to vary by manufacturer, and really only estimate the life expectancy of that manufacturer's tread versus their interpretation of other treadwear ratings in the marketplace. A lower UTQG rating only signifies that treadwear for that manufacturer is lower than other treadlife expectancies in the marketplace. It does not signify specific roadholding characteristics. 

However, a lower UTQG rating generally is assigned to tires which are softer and "stickier" compounds that tend to allow higher roadholding characteristics. MAny high performance Summer only tires tend to fit this bill. My experience with many tires, only a few tires allow decent combinations of higher wear ratings and good road holding features, but these tend to be more expensive tires, and are rarely suited for cold conditions. Exceptions - Michellin Super Sports, or PS3, and surprisingly the Hankook Evo 12 fits this well. I have found many high performance tires that wear better and outhandle the OEM tires. Pirelli P7, Michellin PS2 A/S, Nitto Innova, and more. YMMV

Offline roxer

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2014, 08:01:22 AM »
Just curious. I had seen the debate on several other performance car web sites - mainly sites that have owners that autox or are part time racers. The tire reviews I have read generally point to tires with lower wear ratings as the more performance "grippy" tires. I guess somewhere in the middle is best. Truthfully, I would never of thought a UTQG 500 tire as a performance based tire since there would seem to be a lot more give in the tread. But then that's why I asked the question - to learn from folks that have been doing it a lot longer than me. I'm kind of a noob at this - there, I said it.   :cool:
2002 Isuzu Rodeo Sport - Still kicking!
2008 Polar Sky Redline - Auto - Fully Loaded
2007 Mysterious Solstice GXP - Current list of Mods