Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Solo LE5 Cat Converter- Is this normal?  (Read 1332 times)

Offline S.P.

• Master Tech
Solo LE5 Cat Converter- Is this normal?
« on: September 28, 2014, 01:33:07 PM »
Since the beginning of installing the high flow cat, I've been chasing down what sounded like a very persistent exhaust leak under acceleration. Connections were initially sealed with high temp ultra copper. This works fine for exhaust clamps and the cat-to-header connection, but never worked at the cat-to-exhaust connection. So for that area I applied tailpipe and muffler sealer (which is basically a liquid cement). No more leaks at all! Yet, that fluttering noise still persisted.

Having ruled out all of the exhaust connections, I decided to put the stock cat converter back on; no more fluttering noise. Huh. This may be unrelated, but after removing the Solo cat I found what appears to be damage to the center of the coil on the header side. Exhaust looks fine though. Pics:

Solo cat, header side:

Solo cat, exhaust side:

So, I have two questions:
1. Is the fluttering noise under acceleration normal for a Solo cat converter (or any high flow cat in general).

2. Is the damage to the center coil normal? If not, what could possibly have caused it?

Offline ihawk95

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
Re: Solo LE5 Cat Converter- Is this normal?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2014, 08:38:55 PM »
I have the same cat and I don't get a fluttering noise. Mine sounds like a louder version of the stock cat with my Solo exhaust.

Offline Sting Ya

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2014, 11:31:42 PM »
I've got a Werks cat and have never experienced any type of fluttering noise  :2c:

Offline S.P.

• Master Tech
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 01:35:44 AM »
Thanks all. That answers question number one. I think I'll try another from a different vendor, or use this a good excuse to finally put on a long tube header since it comes with a high flow converter.

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 09:03:02 AM »
Did you contact Solo?  They seem to be very supportive of their products.
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)