Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: What's happening here?  (Read 1245 times)

Offline tailhooker

• Premium Member
  • Tech
What's happening here?
« on: November 05, 2014, 02:22:52 PM »
On my normal 25 mile commute to work, the temp never really fluctuates more that 2 degrees over 194. Last week on the trip down to NC to see the grandkids, the temp was fluctuating by 5 - 10 degrees, settling on 201 until the last 3 hours when it went back to 194 plus or minus.

The car sat for three days, then I left to go back to PA. I left at 0500, and as I was driving the back roads to get to the interstate, the temp kept climbing, and climbing,and finally the overtemp lite came on. I pulled over immediately, popped the hood, and found nothing, except that the coolant expansion tank looked like it was filled to the very top. No boiling over, no hissing, no smell of coolant. I banged on the expansion tank a few times, backed off on the cap, which somewhat relieved some pressure. Then I restarted the car and gingerly drove it as it warmed up. It settled on 199 - 201 for 8 of the ten hour ride, then it was back down in the customary (for me) 194 range.

I have done nothing to the cooling system since I bought the car. It's garaged always. I'm not really excited about draining and replacing the coolant, then jacking the left front up to get the air bubbles out, but I don't want to be stuck out on the road.

Did I experience an about to expire thermostat? or just a weird occurrence?

Thanks for any input/ideas,
Tailhooker

Offline Jim

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
Re: What's happening here?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2014, 03:15:59 PM »
The road to success is always under construction.

Offline tailhooker

• Premium Member
  • Tech
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2014, 04:57:59 PM »
Excellent! But what is the vac n fill method they mention? is that the 'jack up the left front" routine?

Now..........just to be sure, and I apologize in advance for my stupidity, TWO check valves are needed, and one is on the engine and the other on the radiator, and the two check valves are on each end of the SAME  hose?

Thanks again.

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2014, 06:28:14 PM »
Different hoses, two needed. Follow the link to bleed the system.

http://www.kappaperformance.com/forum/index.php/topic,7629.0.html