Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Post your kappa w/Aftermarket Rims!!  (Read 10510 times)

Offline Johnny_gxp

• Quick Shifter
  • Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
Post your kappa w/Aftermarket Rims!!
« on: November 13, 2014, 09:11:48 AM »
Hey guys! How's it going. It's time for me to upgrades rims. Would you guys be able to post pictures of your kappas with the name of the rim you're running and post the names of the others that you thought looked good on the kappa. I am at such a loss when it comes to finding a set I actually like and won't get sick of. Thank you!
Aggressive '08 Solstice GXP

Offline Johnny_gxp

• Quick Shifter
  • Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
Re: Post your kappa w/Aftermarket Rims!!
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 10:31:45 AM »
Oh and is there something I can do to get ride of that horrible gap between the rear wheel and the wheel well? Thanks!

Offline roxer

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 11:04:49 AM »
Oh and is there something I can do to get ride of that horrible gap between the rear wheel and the wheel well? Thanks!

Well, you could put the Z0K suspension kit on which lowers it ~.75".  I did and looks SOOOOOOOOOO much better.  Rides somewhat stiffer too, but then if you are going to lower the car (which is what you are asking to do), you would want that anyway.

Or you could just put bigger tires/wheels on the car.  I think the recommendation usually is to keep it at stock, but then it is your car. I have seen several that looked awesome with bigger tires/rims.  And some that look like circus clown cars too.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 01:52:07 PM by roxer »
2002 Isuzu Rodeo Sport - Still kicking!
2008 Polar Sky Redline - Auto - Fully Loaded
2007 Mysterious Solstice GXP - Current list of Mods

Offline Robotech

• Master Tech
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 01:40:56 PM »
It's a Sky but still a Kappa...

These are ProLine 901 wheels in Gunmetal. Size is 18 x 8 with a 45mm offset so they stick out about 15mm more than the stock wheels. I love the look though. You can get them through PepBoys and are about $104 each. However, the finish on them is very fragile so if you live in an area that is rough on wheels I wouldn't recommend them.

You'll note there is not gap between my wheels. I have BC coilovers on the car and lowered the car about 1" all the way around. .75" might be better for street use (I do have to be careful over speedbumps and scrape on some) so the Z0K suspension may be what you want to look into. Cheaper and sits at the right height.

Personally I don't like wheels bigger than 18" on our Kappas.  The 18s already look really big on our cars and going anything larger just doesn't look right to me. Also, if you go with a bigger wheel to fill that gap, you're raising your car about .75-1".  That doesn't do well for handling.

Offline roxer

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2014, 01:58:09 PM »
It's a Sky but still a Kappa...

(Image removed from quote.)

These are ProLine 901 wheels in Gunmetal. Size is 18 x 8 with a 45mm offset so they stick out about 15mm more than the stock wheels. I love the look though. You can get them through PepBoys and are about $104 each. However, the finish on them is very fragile so if you live in an area that is rough on wheels I wouldn't recommend them.

You'll note there is not gap between my wheels. I have BC coilovers on the car and lowered the car about 1" all the way around. .75" might be better for street use (I do have to be careful over speedbumps and scrape on some) so the Z0K suspension may be what you want to look into. Cheaper and sits at the right height.

Personally I don't like wheels bigger than 18" on our Kappas.  The 18s already look really big on our cars and going anything larger just doesn't look right to me. Also, if you go with a bigger wheel to fill that gap, you're raising your car about .75-1".  That doesn't do well for handling.

Those are awesome looking rims for that car.  Excellent choice.  I was considering the TSW Jarama chrome rims (or the Vortex), but seeing rims in gunmetal on a dark car gives me a little pause - really nice!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 02:05:24 PM by roxer »

Offline hippo

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2014, 02:00:36 PM »
18x9.5 +35 with a 5mm spacer up front to clear the brakes

Offline Robotech

• Master Tech
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2014, 02:19:52 PM »
Those are awesome looking rims for that car.  Excellent choice.  I was considering the TSW Jarama chrome rims (or the Vortex), but seeing rims in gunmetal on a dark car gives me a little pause - really nice!

Thanks Roxer. Yea it seems everyone does Chrome on dark cars unless they go the flat black on a black car. I am not a big chrome guy so chrome rims seemed too much for me but having the Midnight/Ming Dark blue color on my car going black would have been too much. I'd look like a rolling bruise. So I thought the gunmetal would be a better choice.  I liked it so much, I got other parts of the car Plasti-Dipped in Anthracite which matches the gunmetal of the wheels almost perfectly.  It really ties the car together when you do this...

Before:

After:

A good shot of how the color butts up against the blue.

Note I color matched the headlights to the body to darken them rather than going with the black ones that come with the Redline.  Now, your car is black right? If you don't want to black it out but want to get rid of the brighter silver colors like around the window frame and tulip panel, the Anthracite/Gunmetal like I did would look really good I think.

Offline Johnny_gxp

• Quick Shifter
  • Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2014, 02:26:48 PM »
Wow nice rims guys! I've been looking into 3 Enkei options. Either PF01, AMMODO, and Lusso. I'm leaning towards the Lusso then I'll powder coat the black into a flaked gunmetal. HEY ROXER! Do you need a realignment with those ZOK springs? And if you did, is it as nice as the stock was?

Offline Robotech

• Master Tech
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2014, 02:53:33 PM »
I'm not Roxer but any time you change the ride height of the car you need to do an alignment. So yes, if you put on the Z0K shocks and springs you'll need to do an alignment. With my car I did the aggressive GMPP suggested track alignment (-2.5 camber in the front, -1.5 camber in the rear...stock is 0 to -.5 degrees front and rear) when I had it re-done. No excessive tire wear seen yet nor have others experianced any so long as they keep their toe settings close to 0 degrees. In hippos picture you can see his front tires are heavily cambered in too.  While his is easy to see, mine you have to look much closer to notice it. The handling improvement from all the mods I did made the car perform light years better than stock. (BC coil overs, Z0k sway bars, DDM front middle and rear braces, lower 1", GMPP alignment, and the new wheels)

Offline roxer

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2014, 03:59:16 PM »
18x9.5 +35 with a 5mm spacer up front to clear the brakes

Name/maker of the rims? Beautiful look with the stance.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 04:13:11 PM by roxer »

Offline roxer

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2014, 04:12:51 PM »
Wow nice rims guys! I've been looking into 3 Enkei options. Either PF01, AMMODO, and Lusso. I'm leaning towards the Lusso then I'll powder coat the black into a flaked gunmetal. HEY ROXER! Do you need a realignment with those ZOK springs? And if you did, is it as nice as the stock was?

Johnny_gxp, like Robotech said, lowering = new alignment.  I didn't go so aggressive as his, I did the Z0K alignment which is -1.75 front / -1.5 rear.  Car drives awesome compared to stock - huge improvement.  Job was easier than it looks.  The ride is a little more harsh, but not by much.  My wife drives a Sky RL, so I have a good comparison.  New tires on mine would make a huge difference.  I'm still riding on the original F1s.

Thanks Roxer. Yea it seems everyone does Chrome on dark cars unless they go the flat black on a black car. I am not a big chrome guy so chrome rims seemed too much for me but having the Midnight/Ming Dark blue color on my car going black would have been too much. I'd look like a rolling bruise. So I thought the gunmetal would be a better choice.  I liked it so much, I got other parts of the car Plasti-Dipped in Anthracite which matches the gunmetal of the wheels almost perfectly.  It really ties the car together when you do this...

Before:

After:

A good shot of how the color butts up against the blue.

Note I color matched the headlights to the body to darken them rather than going with the black ones that come with the Redline.  Now, your car is black right? If you don't want to black it out but want to get rid of the brighter silver colors like around the window frame and tulip panel, the Anthracite/Gunmetal like I did would look really good I think.

Robotech, I will consider this option for the car.  Looking at gunmetal off the the car didn't do anything for me.  Seeing them on yours really shows the potential.  Super thanks for that!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 04:22:08 PM by roxer »

Offline Johnny_gxp

• Quick Shifter
  • Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2014, 01:04:01 PM »
So if I have FE3 does that mean Z0K will still be better? Because I found a Z0K spring and shock kit on eBay for $325

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2014, 02:16:06 PM »
Yes!!!!!
Make the right choices now

Offline Sting Ya

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2014, 04:34:52 PM »
So if I have FE3 does that mean Z0K will still be better? Because I found a Z0K spring and shock kit on eBay for $325
  Same set you have on your car now

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2014, 04:42:30 PM »
  Same set you have on your car now
Wrong, if Z0K is for FE3
Dragula  ;) Opel GT  from Romania
Arabas: take fotos, videos and keep all girls locked inside the house. Kelu's charm is irresistible !!!!

Offline roxer

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2014, 06:10:36 PM »
Wrong, if Z0K is for FE3

Make SURE IT IS FOR FE3 LNF. There is a Z0K kit for the NA too.

Offline DaveOC

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
  • Running Wisconsin
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2014, 08:37:53 PM »
Make SURE IT IS FOR FE3 LNF. There is a Z0K kit for the NA too.

Make sure to review the table in this post before buying anything:

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/877839-post1.html
Aggressive #000741

Offline Helios

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Play Hard; Drive Harder!
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2014, 01:00:10 PM »
I bought these wheels off of cdnite. Unfortunately, it'll be a while before I mount them because new tires aren't in the budget right now nor do I need them.

http://www.kappaperformance.com/forum/index.php/topic,10216.msg172458.html#msg172458
"Gwyneth"
V8 swap in progress
RPi GT/ SOLO Exhaust

Offline roxer

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 10:09:24 PM by roxer »

Offline Johnny_gxp

• Quick Shifter
  • Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2014, 11:53:18 PM »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sky-Solstice-Springs-Shocks-GM-Bilstein-New-Set-Z0K-FE3-/281338553544?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item418115a4c8&vxp=mtr so is this correct or incorrect. Im trying to keep this as simple as possible by asking dumb yes or no questions hahaha. Because if this will lower and help my GXP's handling i will buy it ASAP.

Online Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2014, 12:08:28 AM »
I don't know what that means.  FE3 is the base suspension and Z0K was the sport upgrade suspension.  If I remember correctly the NA kappa Z0K is the same as the GXP/redline FE3.  Are you confused yet?
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2014, 12:09:40 AM »
I don't know what that means.  FE3 is the base suspension and Z0K was the sport upgrade suspension.  If I remember correctly the NA kappa Z0K is the same as the GXP/redline FE3.  Are you confused yet?

^^^^^^ this ^^^^^^
Make the right choices now

Offline roxer

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2014, 09:32:16 AM »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sky-Solstice-Springs-Shocks-GM-Bilstein-New-Set-Z0K-FE3-/281338553544?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item418115a4c8&vxp=mtr so is this correct or incorrect. Im trying to keep this as simple as possible by asking dumb yes or no questions hahaha. Because if this will lower and help my GXP's handling i will buy it ASAP.

Sent you a PM

Offline bun1t

• Tech
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2014, 12:26:08 PM »

19X9.5 Rear 19X8.5 Front