Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Code P0301  (Read 1779 times)

Offline catandsplat

• Tech
Code P0301
« on: November 26, 2014, 09:35:26 PM »
Hi All,

On way back tonight she went all wobbly on me and sounded odd (car not wife). Felt like a a cylinder was missing. The code refers to cylinder 1 missing and there's plenty of threads about this, yet many reasons why! The idle has been slightly rough this last week but no CEL's until tonight. Also, the exhaust coming out the right hand side is darn hot whilst the left hand side is cold.
Could this be an exhaust problem in the back box, I'm going to take a look tomorrow, maybe the O2 sensor has been affected by the blockage to one side. But wouldn't I get a different CEL code if it was reading incorrectly?
Any new ideas on this?

Chris
2007 GXP

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
Re: Code P0301
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 10:06:54 PM »
If I remember correctly that is a misfire code for cylinder 1.

There are a lot of things that can cause that.  Something as simple as the tune, spark plug, to the coil, to rocker, valve
Start simply and cheap.
Swap plugs, see if the code moves
Swap coils, see if the code moves.
Pop the cover and see if you have any damage on the top of the engine.

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2014, 12:25:07 AM »
Not a problem with the exhaust, the muffler has dual outlet but a single inlet.  Meaning if it was an exhaust problem it would cause problems with all the cylinders.

If it's an 07 then there is a chance it has the colder spark plugs, GM had reports of them fouling causing problems like you have so they changed and went to a hotter plug on later cars.  I would look there first.

If this is the case, you need to run the car to higher RPMs more often.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2014, 04:59:16 AM »
Indeed P0301 - Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected, I had this also among Cyl 1 coilpack error and huge amount of smoke and now I'm waiting a diagnosis to see what are the damages inside the engine.

In your case looks like is a little bit lighter. The source may vary as elff said.
Dragula  ;) Opel GT  from Romania
Arabas: take fotos, videos and keep all girls locked inside the house. Kelu's charm is irresistible !!!!

Offline catandsplat

• Tech
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2014, 07:59:42 PM »
Thanks to all the replies. Today I took the DDM cover and brace off to get to the plugs. Checked each plug and adjusted slightly, plug one was the worst, very coked up. I have ordered new ones anyway, can't remember what I took out but the new ones will be the hotter ones 41-108. She started fine afterwards, a bit of water and oil out the exhaust but still the hot and cold pipes. I'll see how she drives tomorrow, should clear the exhaust out. Maybe it's been like it for a while, it's not often I stick my mitt in front of the pipes to see what temp they are. I think it has the standard exhaust, it looked like it. I have a high flow cat that GJ never fitted and would like a different exhaust system, so back to checking out and listening to the videos of examples again, lol! One thing though, I never saw an O2 sensor in the muffler and no sign of wiring. Could this have been removed when GJ had the HP tune fitted? Also then, when I change the exhaust system, do I need to get the tune tweaked?

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2014, 08:08:58 PM »
What? I don't understand why you keep mentioning GJ.

There are 2x O2 sensors and none are removed when remapping the ECU, one is right after the turbo and second one under the car after the exhaust bends 90deg coming from engine to under the car. No O2 sensors in the muffler.
If you want more tq after replacing the downpipe you need to update the tune, if not, no intervention in the tune is required.
Dragula  ;) Opel GT  from Romania
Arabas: take fotos, videos and keep all girls locked inside the house. Kelu's charm is irresistible !!!!

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2014, 10:11:34 PM »
Kelu-
He stole my car.

Kidding. His car used to be my car.

All exhaust is stock. All O2 sensors left alone.
Make the right choices now

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2014, 07:48:17 PM »
if the plug is all carboned up you aren't driving it hard enough,.  With the direct injection engine you need to rev the engine once in a while.  Put some Seafoam in your gas and see if that doesn't help clean it up.
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia