Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Air in coolant system - One more time.  (Read 2670 times)

Offline tailhooker

• Premium Member
  • Tech
Air in coolant system - One more time.
« on: December 01, 2014, 05:17:24 PM »
I ordered the check valves from the local Former Pontiac dealer. Wow! 15 Bucks each!. I've gotten fresh Dexcool and am about to dilute it 50% with distilled water. I ran MY GXP up on ramps, and looking for the radiator drain valve, was unsuccessful in finding it. So...........I've already sharpied a big L on my forehead - but where the heck is the drain valve for the radiator? Do I have to remove some plastic under the car to find it? I WAS going to do a coolant replacement and DDM air purge first, but now I'll wait for the check valves to come from Philly, and do everything at once.

Has anyone's experience doing this going to tell me that I may need to do the DDM 'elevate the expansion tank, and fill until the Dexcool comes out of the  return to the head line' multiple times ? Just asking.

Thanks in advance for any insight,
Todd Schrack aka Tailhooker

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
Re: Air in coolant system - One more time.
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2014, 06:07:14 PM »
First - to drain the system, you'll need to undo both the radiator cock and the waterpump drain. Instructions and photos are in this thread: http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f64/how-change-thermostat-2-4-a-60727/

Then, as to the refill question, I'm not sure I understood what you asked, but YES you should follow DDM's elevate the tank method.  Although another option is to get a cheap HarborFreight pump (if you have a store near you) and attach the sucker-end of that to the end of the pipe feeding into the top of the tank (with pump outlet draining into the tank).  Then you can pump away until you've sucked all the bubbles out!  http://www.harborfreight.com/multi-use-transfer-pump-66418.html

Note!  Some cars, mine was was one, are more difficult.  You may find a bubble lodges in the cabin heater radiator.  If that's the case, you'll need to disconnect the bayonet fittings on the firewall and fill it up manually (pour or pump fluid in).
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline tailhooker

• Premium Member
  • Tech
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, 10:43:35 PM »
Many thanks for the reply, but I'm kinda stupid. The pictures did not - for me - show me where to look for the proper places to open a petcock or valve to drain the system.  Once the petcocks/valves are open - should the car be level? Or front elevated or rear elevated?

As an aside, would I be able to use my vacuum oil change unit to evacuate the coolant? And if so, where should I insert the suction hose?

Thanks in advance,
Todd Schrack aka Tailhooker

Offline tazz

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2014, 11:46:42 PM »
its on the passenger side IIRC.
Up and behind the air damn flap that hangs down from the bottom of the car IIRC
Thats where i remember anyway.  I would go look but its cold outside right now and Im LAZY.

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2014, 12:36:17 AM »
Yeah on the passenger side but you aren't looking for a brass peacock, it's a plastic piece that's moulded into the rad and you could easily miss it.
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2014, 09:51:05 AM »
OK, let's try again.  This picture from the link I posted, shows the valve (white plastic) at the bottom right of the radiator.  The photo is taken from the passenger side, looking down into the engine compartment toward the back of the radiator...

I wouldn't use an oil vacuum device for fear of contaminating the coolant.
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline tailhooker

• Premium Member
  • Tech
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2014, 02:58:06 PM »
Oh,  THAT petcock!

Thanks! I'll let y'all know how things turn out.

Offline tazz

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2014, 11:18:22 PM »
First time I spent 30min looking for that Cock damn hidden good.
Yeah those little check valves are EXPENSIVE .....The cheapest ive found was on FleaBay for $10ea and I bought them.

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2014, 01:37:31 PM »
Really Tazz? Really? :)
Make the right choices now

Offline tazz

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2014, 01:46:35 PM »
 :drool:Yout funny JG....:-P