Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Water pump replacement  (Read 12089 times)

Offline Oceansol

• Tech
Re: Water pump replacement
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2015, 11:55:13 AM »
That was hilarious Bob

I didn't want to give away the joke but you had me laughing my ass off

OK, fine, pick on the new guy!   :slap:  GJ let me know that he's available for beer drinking..... 

So now I'm dropping $1,000+ at the dealer for a new water pump, so I'll have no money for beer for a while.

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2015, 01:30:05 PM »
Make him buy.   Don't tell him I said this but he is a good mechanic, but I don't blame him for not wanting to take this job on.  Go through the site and read about what a job this is.  Even dealers have issues.
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline Oceansol

• Tech
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2015, 01:36:17 PM »
Yes, I've read here and elsewhere about the challenges of water pump replacement.  I'm crossing my fingers that it all goes well!

Thanks (I think!  :lol:) for your help!

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2015, 03:20:27 PM »
I know a very easy method to replace the water pump, is getting that way on my engine.  :rofl:
Dragula  ;) Opel GT  from Romania
Arabas: take fotos, videos and keep all girls locked inside the house. Kelu's charm is irresistible !!!!

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2015, 03:34:38 PM »
Your method is to overhaul the engine and replace the pump at the same time, I'm not sure that's an easier method.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2015, 04:58:00 PM »
To replace the wp it is, the other part is just a small details.

PS: It was for the new guy ...
Arabas: take fotos, videos and keep all girls locked inside the house. Kelu's charm is irresistible !!!!

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2015, 05:11:16 PM »
 :sorry: OceanSol but as Critterman said, GJ really is a good mechanic but you can understand that he doesn't want to tackle such a job on someone else's car much less someone he has never met.

I'm glad you took the joke well as I certainly meant no harm by it OceanSol. Steven's a great guy and a joker extraordinaire.

The water pump can be a heck of a thing to change and something some dealers even messed up on in the early days. Not for the faint of heart.

Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2015, 08:27:30 PM »
Make SURE they use the chain holding tool. And when they are done listen VERY CAREFULLY for any new noise. Specifically a new whine. If you hear it, make them redo the job. It means they didn't hold the timing chain correctly and you are going to damage your engine.
Make the right choices now

Offline Oceansol

• Tech
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2015, 07:18:02 PM »
Make SURE they use the chain holding tool. And when they are done listen VERY CAREFULLY for any new noise. Specifically a new whine. If you hear it, make them redo the job. It means they didn't hold the timing chain correctly and you are going to damage your engine.

Thanks GJ.  I'm going to pick it up shortly, and I will listen carefully.  Crossing my fingers that it sounds normal.  They also changed the oil to ensure no coolant got into it, the air filter (cause it was dirty), and replaced a broken air intake duct.  I didn't know it was broken....  It took almost 3 days, so I'm hoping they did a good job.  They always have done great work in the past, so I'm cautiously optimistic!

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2015, 08:15:16 PM »

Now that I have distracted GJ here's how to get him to buy the beer, get him to make a wager on one of his Boston teams.  It's worked every time I've tried it, isn't that right Ihawk?

PS even thought I might think the Pats suck they still seem to win so don't take that sucker bet.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Oceansol

• Tech
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2015, 11:59:16 AM »
Thanks GJ.  I'm going to pick it up shortly, and I will listen carefully.  Crossing my fingers that it sounds normal.  They also changed the oil to ensure no coolant got into it, the air filter (cause it was dirty), and replaced a broken air intake duct.  I didn't know it was broken....  It took almost 3 days, so I'm hoping they did a good job.  They always have done great work in the past, so I'm cautiously optimistic!

Picked up the car last night, and everything looked and sounded EXCELLENT!  They took their time, and threw in a few extras.  I opened the hood and listened long and carefully to the engine, and it sounded completely normal.  Visually, everything looked great.  They did replace a large plastic intake duct that connects from the air cleaner to the turbo, because a nipple for some sensor was broken.  The tech was surprised no code was thrown, but thought maybe because the sensor was down stream??  Not too sure on the technicalities there.....  I can post a picture if anyone wants to see.

I monitored temp on the drive home and everything was normal.  I hope I can get another 50k miles from this water pump, as my wallet is definitely lighter today than yesterday!  :idiot:  GJ, you'll have to buy the beer for awhile while I build back up my beer fund!

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2015, 12:38:33 PM »
That nipple breaks if you look at it incorrectly.  A few people have taken a self tapping brass nipple and replaced it with it
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline gearbhall

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2015, 03:02:56 PM »
I broke that same nipple about a month ago, trying to get things out of my way so I could reach my thermostat.
2008 Sky Redline: 5MT, GMPP
2005 Mitsubishi Eclipse: slow DD

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2015, 06:26:41 PM »
That's a common break. Disconnect that hose PRIOR to changing the air filter. I'll just about bet my life that's when it was broken. Whomever changes that air filter next needs to be warned.
Make the right choices now

Offline DrJones

• Master Tech
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2015, 06:32:55 AM »
When I deleted the balance shafts last year I also installed one of these and disabled the standard WP
http://www.daviescraig.com.au/Electric_Water_Pumps-content.aspx

I need to move where the reservoir T's in the system to the negative pressure side of the pump. We haven't had any major issues with this, it just fills the reservoir with coolant anytime it's running. Temps stay fine.
2007 - GXP - White
F-Prepared - Crazy Monkey Racing
Westers Garage/Norms Fiberglass/AVON TYRES

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2015, 06:47:57 AM »
DrJones, how did you determine how many liters per minute the WP you ordered had to move?
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline DrJones

• Master Tech
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2015, 09:53:07 AM »
I can't remember off the top of my head.
I think there was a chart that referenced horsepower and told you which one to go with.
I used the EWP115 in the polymer housing. I wired the relay to a "Hot when on" circuit to make sure it is on when the ignition is on.
2007 - GXP - White
F-Prepared - Crazy Monkey Racing
Westers Garage/Norms Fiberglass/AVON TYRES

Offline crisco

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
  • My Precious!
« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2015, 12:25:03 PM »
Dr. Jones, what about the connection of the water pump...mechanically to the timing chain. Or what did you use in place of?
Not having to fix yet so I might be asking wrongly!
My Precious! 2007  Solstice GXP, Aggressive, Santana Cup Holder, Beachparty Fuse Box Cover,DDM Backbone Brace, DDM Performance Probeam, DDM Latin Venom Brace, DDM Oil Catch Can (Red), DDM LNF Intake Tube (Red), DDM Radiator Hose (Red), Wind Restricter, Solo Performance Mach Shorty Exhaust,...more to come!

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2015, 02:41:30 PM »
WP with balance shafts are on their on timing chain, but not on the main timing chain.
If balance shafts are out, removing wp gears would simplify everything.