Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Backfire with power loss  (Read 15458 times)

Offline tazz

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
Re: Backfire with power loss
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2014, 08:16:42 PM »
I still think the IC might be cracked and you just cant see it.
Mine was cracked and it took me Forever to find it.  Just a hairline crack on the end tankabout 1/2 inch long.

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2014, 10:30:12 PM »
I would suggest doing a pressure test on your IC.
Plug one side and pressurize from the other and see if it holds the pressure.

Offline roxer

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2014, 12:24:08 AM »
There is not someone close to you that has a data logger like DashHawk DashBoss HPT that can monitor in real time?

I ordered an ELM wifi obd connector and downloaded dash command for the iphone. I'll try that.
2002 Isuzu Rodeo Sport - Still kicking!
2008 Polar Sky Redline - Auto - Fully Loaded
2007 Mysterious Solstice GXP - Current list of Mods

Offline roxer

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2014, 12:28:35 AM »
I still think the IC might be cracked and you just cant see it.
Mine was cracked and it took me Forever to find it.  Just a hairline crack on the end tankabout 1/2 inch long.

I have several choices, but I will be kicking myself for not snagging that werks street IC if DDM doesn't have a Christmas sale. I held out because I wanted the one from DDM. If they don't, I'll be looking for a stock IC. I have an appointment there the 29th, but they are working half days. I'll have to see what happens by next week time.

I could get it pressure tested at the dealership. I don't have the equipment to do it myself.

Offline HotScott

• Tech
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2014, 08:51:58 AM »
If it is your IC then I recommend going with a better then stock one either Werks or DDM.  Its not that much more than a stock IC.   Mine was cracked long ago, only way to find it was, was the dealer pressure checked it and used a dye and saw where it was cracked.  They installed the new one from DDM for me, said as long as it fits they would install it.   That was about 3 years ago.
•Werks Tune
  •Performance Werks V8 525hp Conversion
  •T-56 6 Speed Manual
  •Spec 2+ Clutch
  •Custom Stainless Dual Exhaust
  •BC Racing Coilovers
  •Rear Brace
  • A/C and Cruise
  •Forgestar F14 wheels and Pilot Sport tires

Offline roxer

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2014, 11:19:52 AM »
If it is your IC then I recommend going with a better then stock one either Werks or DDM.  Its not that much more than a stock IC.   Mine was cracked long ago, only way to find it was, was the dealer pressure checked it and used a dye and saw where it was cracked.  They installed the new one from DDM for me, said as long as it fits they would install it.   That was about 3 years ago.

They are all approximately $300 more than a new stock intercooler (average is $350) with the stock getting a GM 12/12 warranty.  Hahn is the cheapest at $599 with DDM the most at $795.  I know I can install either myself.  I REALLY want the DDM, but then I want an LS3 in there too and that's not financially going to happen any time soon.   :lol:  Rock has met hard place with this one.  I guess I never imagined I would run into this much trouble so early on.  I've basically done nothing mind altering to the car and stuck to mostly GM parts other than the charge pipes.  I spent all my money on mods.  :(

Offline HotScott

• Tech
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2014, 12:38:51 PM »
Well thats a good price on the GM one, at the time I had the problem they seemed to want to charge me $595 for the GM IC, so it was a no brainer to go with something better and since they seem to crack easily is it worth dumping money into something they may break again down the road?  But all depends on how long you want to keep the car etc.   I am with you, my dream is the LS3 hot cam motor.   I am still asking santa! LOL  But Santa's bank says no.
•Werks Tune
  •Performance Werks V8 525hp Conversion
  •T-56 6 Speed Manual
  •Spec 2+ Clutch
  •Custom Stainless Dual Exhaust
  •BC Racing Coilovers
  •Rear Brace
  • A/C and Cruise
  •Forgestar F14 wheels and Pilot Sport tires

Offline Jim

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2014, 12:40:06 PM »
Surely someone will put an intercooler on sale soon for Christmas. If you find that your intercooler is cracked and need a replacement to get you by for a while, I'll dig my stock one out of the trash if I can find it and you can have it for the price of shipping.

It had a slight twist to it and a broken bracket on the drivers side but had no cracks or leaks.
The road to success is always under construction.

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2014, 07:58:11 PM »
I ordered an ELM wifi obd connector and downloaded dash command for the iphone. I'll try that.

Good Choice and it will work with a bunch of other vehicles you own.

As far as intercooler's go, I have to highly recommend the DDM one.   I ran into a situation where I got a chance to temporarily use a competitors IC due to the fact that I hit a Manhole cover and destroyed both my radiator and my IC.   DDM was waiting for a new batch to come in, so they send me a non DDM one in the meanwhile.
I actually had to DeTune my Sky because I started running into issues when I pushed my Sky at the upper RPMS.
When I was able to re-install a new DDM LNF intercooler I was able to flash back to the more aggressive tune.   

The non DDM intercooler could not handle the higher boost I was running and we had to dial it back by 3psi. 

That sold me on the extra cost being worth every penny.

Offline roxer

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2014, 10:57:41 AM »
I'm hopefully going to see Dr. Dave next week.  Talked to him this morning.  DDM and company rocks.   :thumbs:

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2014, 03:31:10 PM »
Have you found the problem yet?

GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline roxer

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2014, 04:03:07 PM »
Have you found the problem yet?

No.  I just keep resetting the code and the car drives like a dog.  I talked to Dave and he doesn't think its the IC.  I'll let him deal with it next week. He has several take off stock ICs if that does prove to be the case. For now he has me checking the eval solenoid.

Offline roxer

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2014, 02:51:57 PM »
Got the wifi OBD 2 reader up and running with DashCommand. Looking at my readings, I show no MAF activity - reads 0. MAP reads ~42.  I'm going to log a drive to see what I get. Should I have some reading even while idling?

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2014, 04:33:17 PM »
I would think so, just bump the throttle you should see something change.  Start looking at connectors and wire harness.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline roxer

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2014, 07:32:59 PM »
I would think so, just bump the throttle you should see something change.  Start looking at connectors and wire harness.

I pulled the MAF from the CAI and hooked it directly up to the connector. Still got nothing. Does it activate based on airflow maybe?  I'll test my wife's Sky RL tomorrow.

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2014, 08:15:23 PM »
Given that MAF stands for mass air flow, it should measure air flowing past it.  In the intake with the engine running air will be flowing past it.  So from off to engine running at idle to running above idle you should be seeing some change.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline tazz

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2014, 11:02:41 PM »
I cant remember exactly what idle MAF frequency hovers at but i think 1800-2000 in park and operating temp. 
If it measures in g/s then 3 thats what my DashHawk reads and I have the GMPP CAI.

Offline roxer

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #42 on: December 24, 2014, 02:12:06 PM »
I cant remember exactly what idle MAF frequency hovers at but i think 1800-2000 in park and operating temp. 
If it measures in g/s then 3 thats what my DashHawk reads and I have the GMPP CAI.

DashCommand reads in lbs/min. Not sure if that is an issue of not. I'll check my wife's Sky redline to compare. Just curious if it takes a certain amount of airflow before it's activated.

Offline Jim

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #43 on: December 24, 2014, 03:18:46 PM »
At idle, my MAF reading in lb/min is 0 using HP Tuners VCM Scanner so you'll need to get it moving or give it some throttle to register.
The road to success is always under construction.

Offline tazz

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #44 on: December 24, 2014, 07:00:27 PM »
I have my resolution set .00 spaces on HPT so it reads .35 at idle and at operating temp.

Offline tazz

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #45 on: December 24, 2014, 07:11:53 PM »
At 2200rpm the MAF finally goes over 1 @ lb/min and at 3000rpm its sitting at 1.35ish lb/min.  In park keeping rpms steady with foot on throttle @2200rpms and 3000rpms is how Im measuring mine.
Hope that helps.
What are your fuel trims setting at mainly your LTFT(long Term Fuel Trim) and when you give it some throttle what happens to your STFT(Short Term Fuel Trims).
my LTFT depending on what brand of fuel im using sits at +1 to +5 usually.
Your STFT will probably go way positive or way negative driving normal then giving it some throttle depending on if its a vacuum leak or boost leak cant remember which way though.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 07:21:29 PM by tazz »

Offline roxer

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #46 on: December 25, 2014, 09:55:03 PM »
That's great info. I'll try this out Saturday. Went out of town for Christmas.  I'm hoping it's something simple.

Offline roxer

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #47 on: December 27, 2014, 09:15:36 PM »
At 2200rpm the MAF finally goes over 1 @ lb/min and at 3000rpm its sitting at 1.35ish lb/min.  In park keeping rpms steady with foot on throttle @2200rpms and 3000rpms is how Im measuring mine.
Hope that helps.
What are your fuel trims setting at mainly your LTFT(long Term Fuel Trim) and when you give it some throttle what happens to your STFT(Short Term Fuel Trims).
my LTFT depending on what brand of fuel im using sits at +1 to +5 usually.
Your STFT will probably go way positive or way negative driving normal then giving it some throttle depending on if its a vacuum leak or boost leak cant remember which way though.

Tested today based on my wife's Sky and found her car sits at .8 lb/min MAF, +1 LTFT and between 0.0 - 0.8 STFT during idle.  MAP sits at ~40+. Fuel pump between 600 and 700.

Mine sits at 0.0 lb/min MAF, 0.0 LTFT and between 0.0 - 0.8 STFT during idle. MAP at ~40 and fuel pump between 400 and 500.

Offline tazz

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2014, 04:15:41 PM »
Fuel pump pressure seems a tad low but i really have no idea.  Mine is about the same as your wifes vehcile between 500 and high 600's. 

Offline LatinVenom

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2014, 06:54:00 PM »
I think his problem is the MAF, it should have a reading even at idle,
Solstice GXP 2007.
Aggressive and fully loaded.
Mods: Magnaflow 2.5" exhaust, DDM Backbone & ProBeam,ZOK suspension,LV Kappa Front Chassis Brace, BTF Turbo Upgraded Wheel, Windristrictor, JPM Center console,arms,tulip,side doors,DDM Upgraded wheel tune.