Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Emergency Brake spring  (Read 2737 times)

Offline SARBlade

• Apprentice/Gofer
Emergency Brake spring
« on: December 15, 2014, 04:09:33 PM »
So I put this under problem because it is in that realm now. I decided to paint my calipers and as I was taking my last one off, left rear, I was prying the little spring that releases pressures off pads once emergency brake is released, it went flying!  :gaah: I combed the garage for it but could not find it. Ive since done it thrice!! It may be attached under the car somewhere, not sure but I can't find the damn thing. Anyway, does anyone know of a donor car that I can get one of these off? I was at salvage yard today looking, but all the usual suspects have a coiled spring, not the one I need! Ideas? Thanks

Oh, and this is the first time I posted here, Hi I have been pretty active on SkyRoadster forum, I apologize for not saying Hi  :D
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 04:12:37 PM by SARBlade »

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
Re: Emergency Brake spring
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 04:35:51 PM »
I would recommend Critterman's car, he usually leaves it parked in his driveway help yourself.  If you need the address let me know.

Actually you might see if DDM has some that they might sell you.

Welcome to the Forum by the way.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2014, 05:04:08 PM »
You might try a Cobalt SS but realistically I don't know if I'd be wandering salvage years for a part you can buy for a little more than $5.

http://parts.nalleygmc.com/products/Pontiac/2008/SolsticeTURBO-2-DR-CONVERTIBLE/SPRING-Wheel-Brake-CylinderCaliper/2729252/15254675.html

... Or search for part number 1792233 on RockAuto. It's $4.39 there.

And yes, welcome to the forum, it's great to have you here.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 05:08:22 PM by Sly Bob »
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 08:17:16 PM »
Welcome aboard.  Sol Ass's car is closer to you.  you will find it next to the neighbors gocart.  Neither goes anywhere.
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline SARBlade

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2014, 09:43:54 PM »
Yeah that's too funny! There are a couple of Solstices down the street from me, I would go get one off of them!! Anyway, thanks for the quick replies, but the spring I'm looking for isn't the anti-rattle one that the link directs me to, but rather the one in behind the caliper that attaches to the parking brake cable. When the brake is applied the spring stretches, when brake is released the spring moves and allows the caliper to relax, hence no more break. This is the spring that went ptwiiinggg, on me!

Offline SARBlade

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2014, 10:03:43 PM »
You can just see the small spring here. This is the one I mean. Disregard circles.

I borrowed it from Ender on his Hawk brake pad install located http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f42/hawk-hps-brake-pad-install-48623/
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 10:13:34 PM by SARBlade »

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2014, 07:42:36 PM »
 I didn't realize that was what you were looking for. It appears that spring is only available with the caliper as new as likely figured out but if you can't find a spring at a yard maybe take the one from the other side and take it to a parts store, maybe Canadian Tire and see if you can match it up. Looks like a pretty standard brake spring.

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline SARBlade

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2014, 08:16:28 PM »
Thanks, I was thinking about CT, or Princess Auto too. Cheers, W.

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2014, 11:04:56 AM »
Did you manage to find a spring?

Offline SARBlade

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2015, 03:01:12 PM »
Sorry, was away at work, didnt get online much! Yes, I was installing a Magnaflow exhaust and the damn spring fell out from the old exhaust. Not sure where, but it must have bounced off floor and up onto exhaust somehow.  :idk:

I did look at a bunch of cars in the salvage yard but no other GM car had this type of rear brake let alone the spring!

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2015, 03:37:00 PM »
Glad you found it
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia