Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: URGENT - Comments required re alleged blown engine  (Read 6974 times)

Offline catandsplat

• Tech
URGENT - Comments required re alleged blown engine
« on: January 05, 2015, 05:11:55 PM »
Recently I had the odd running rough and cylinder 1 misfire cel recently, it would come at go at will. Initially, it only started smoothly after I changed the plugs. I then had no issues for several weeks. It happened again on new years day during a run when driving around 50mph. It has never done it under heavy acceleration. Sunday I took off and cleaned air filter, pcv and turbo inlet pipes. No oil at pcv on hose but they was at the turbo inlet. This would explain the recent blue puffs of exhaust. All was cleaned and car ran normal today although I never pushed it. I had it booked into the local GMC dealer today. They have just rung me and said No1 cylinder has NO compression at all and that it needs a new engine as the rings are shot and there's scoring. So, if a four pot loses one cylinder, wouldn't it have problems starting, let alone driving smoothly, which it does and will do. Only No1 plug was oily when I changed them which did suggest an issue around there but come on, am I missing something here?
The car is staying there overnight. Oh, and they expect it to cost $6k to replace with a GMC warrantied engine.
Any comments/advice appreciated  :gaah:
Thanks,
Chris

Offline Jim

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
Re: URGENT - Comments required re alleged blown engine
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 06:00:28 PM »
I don't know the inside of these engines well enough yet but for some reason I thought the LNF block was sleeved and that the sleeves could be replaced. If it were mine and the scoring wasn't too terrible, I would opt for a set of the oversized (86.5mm) Wiseco pistons and have the cylinders opened up to accomodate them. Any good machine shop should be able to handle that.

I try to do most of my own work and always have so pulling the engine is something I would definitely do on my own and probably wouldn't classify it as a very difficult task though I do have access to all of the tools and space that anyone could ever need so I understand when others are not able to do bigger tasks. I wouldn't attempt it in my driveway and my wife would never let me anyways....

Have you seen the scoring of the cylinder? Are the piston ring lands broken or does the piston have a hole in it?

Check ZZP or DDM for a short block - could save some coin by purchasing it yourself maybe.
The road to success is always under construction.

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 06:31:50 PM »
Get on the phone NOW and call Dave at DDM and ask him what he thinks. He's the guy to talk to when something like this happens.
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 08:01:58 PM »
Dragula  ;) Opel GT  from Romania
Arabas: take fotos, videos and keep all girls locked inside the house. Kelu's charm is irresistible !!!!

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 09:44:05 PM »
Unfortunately the dealership probably is correct. 

You might be able to get some good will help from GM to reduce the cost.

Offline catandsplat

• Tech
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2015, 10:30:33 PM »
Thanks for your replies.
Certainly in the past I would do all the work myself but this is my daily car and I don't have the tools since I moved here. I havn't seen it no, I just got the call. I'd expect them to have pictured the damage as proof and I may well insist they physically show me the damage tomorrow when I go get it. It's just a case of whether to take it home or get a second opinion locally. I'll definitely ring DDM tomorrow and get their opinion and I have a second contact locally I'll ask. It has a Westers tune else it's standard as far as I can recall. Only done 37k so hardly an aged beast, lol

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2015, 10:53:14 PM »
Get them to show you what they are talking about, I am guessing they have a borescope.   See if it looks like Kelu's pictures.

I'm with Jim, I would change a sleeve and replace pistons and rings as long as the block isn't cracked.  You may have to find a shop with true mechanics to fix it for you, dealers tend to only want to change components some of their techs know what they are doing and some can only do what a computer tells them, my experience has been the later.

You didn't loan your car to a Romanian recently did you?
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline tazz

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2015, 10:58:30 PM »
When mine blew ring and piston #3 it was smoking a lot.  Still drove it to my house and then to the dealer less than 10 miles total and #3 was on continuous misfire.  The middle ringland was chipped off away from the piston and part of the ring cracked  but still there and the cylinder was not scored not sure how but it wasn't.  if that the case they just need to replace the piston and deglaze the cylinders as well as put new rings and connecting rod bearings on all 4 pistons.  That's what they did with mine anyway and it just fine.   

Offline tazz

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2015, 11:07:30 PM »
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 11:15:44 PM by tazz »

Offline catandsplat

• Tech
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2015, 11:38:18 AM »
I have a transmission friend whose gonna pick it up and check it over. He's a pucker old style mechanical engineer, so his view will be beneficial. Gonna go get it soon, so I'll see what they have to say about the compression and cost. Although the car is out of warranty, would the engine with only 37k on it have some sort of warranty still?

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2015, 12:04:59 PM »
Was there ever an extended warranty purchased for the car?
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline catandsplat

• Tech
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2015, 01:31:31 PM »
I've just driven it back from dealer. They reckon injector is stuck open and I'm just passing gas and oil. Not that my mileage has changed at all, just oil. According to their records everything is out of warranty. They reckon $3750 for engine plus labor. My guy can't pick it up today because of the weather, so it'll be at home for now. Drives well for no compression!

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2015, 02:40:49 PM »
There may well be good will warranty offered by GM on a car with that low a mileage. My sister last year got 50 percent of a rebuild covered when the engine in her G6 threw the timing chain.

Any such warranty would only be available through a dealer obviously and if GM asks the dealer to check and see if the car has a tune, you're done.

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline catandsplat

• Tech
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2015, 03:15:44 PM »
Interesting. Would I need to approach GM direct or go via the dealer?

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2015, 05:13:56 PM »
Here's the post I made at the time, someone else's and perhaps your experience would be different. It also helped that the salesman that she originally bought the car from I've been dealing with for 25 years. My sister was very happy the way it all turned out.

http://www.kappaperformance.com/forum/index.php/topic,10253.msg173153.html#msg173153

Offline LatinVenom

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2015, 05:40:44 PM »
Here are a couple of 800 numbers that can assist you.
The LNF was warrantied for 100K miles or 5 years. You have less than half and the engine is damaged.
Try to have one of these folks get you help.
866-790-5700
800-222-1020
If you did not abuse the motor it should have not fail as it did, if it is true.

Good luck
Solstice GXP 2007.
Aggressive and fully loaded.
Mods: Magnaflow 2.5" exhaust, DDM Backbone & ProBeam,ZOK suspension,LV Kappa Front Chassis Brace, BTF Turbo Upgraded Wheel, Windristrictor, JPM Center console,arms,tulip,side doors,DDM Upgraded wheel tune.

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2015, 06:45:16 PM »
Yeah and we have to remember that the issues you appear to be having isn't an abnormality. Several people on the forums have had the same problem and likely a lot more in the general population.

Basically, if you don't ask you'll never know, they might say YES.

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2015, 12:11:55 AM »
Crap man! What happened?

You are right- only a Wester's tune on that ECM. The other one is bone stock, untouched original.

This breaks my heart a little...
Make the right choices now

Offline U4EA

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2015, 11:53:05 AM »
Was there ever an extended warranty purchased for the car?
The original owner purchased an extended warranty, was then transferred to Gentleman Jack when he bought the car. Do not remember what the time/mileage limitations were. Had catandsplat passed on "Betty" she might have been in my garage. Sorry to see this...
2007 Mysterious GXP Hard Loaded (all factory options avail. in 2007)
Trifecta Tune, GMPP Tune, GMPP CAI, Gm splash guards, Magnaflow 3" catback, DDM Race Backbone, "A" pillar gauge pod, Kapparoo pouch, Lil' Chromies, Gorgeous mirror, JPM center console & center grab handle, Windrestrictor V2 etched & lighted, Carolina Custom Upholstery door pockets, Kappakrap T2 decals, Custom front license plate relocation, Latin Venom Cooler, Fitted luggage, MBRP intercooler pipes, heat shield.

Offline catandsplat

• Tech
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2015, 01:49:16 PM »
Hi GJ,

I've no idea wot happened, it just suddenly started. Was it really called "Betty" !!! I believe you said the ECU and TCU were done, or that both should be swapped together. I might just do that this weekend when I've found where they go. I saw one (prob ecu) in engine bay

Offline U4EA

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2015, 01:57:20 PM »
"FAST BETTY" I believe...
ECM and TCM both located drivers side near firewall engine bay side by side for automatic if memory serves me.
2007 Mysterious GXP Hard Loaded (all factory options avail. in 2007)
Trifecta Tune, GMPP Tune, GMPP CAI, Gm splash guards, Magnaflow 3" catback, DDM Race Backbone, "A" pillar gauge pod, Kapparoo pouch, Lil' Chromies, Gorgeous mirror, JPM center console & center grab handle, Windrestrictor V2 etched & lighted, Carolina Custom Upholstery door pockets, Kappakrap T2 decals, Custom front license plate relocation, Latin Venom Cooler, Fitted luggage, MBRP intercooler pipes, heat shield.

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2015, 02:11:51 PM »
"FAST BETTY" I believe...

I seem to recall reference to "Fast Betty" also.

Wasn't there a thread here about the names people were giving their cars?
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline tazz

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2015, 04:19:35 PM »
Thought it was Black Betty.

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2015, 05:41:35 PM »
Well the car is blue...

But we are talking about GJ.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2015, 08:02:15 PM »
Fast Betty... 

I'm not saying that swapping the ECM is going to solve the problem. Just saying the original was there.

Make the right choices now