Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Solbra /Diamondback kit update  (Read 8944 times)

Offline Sting Ya

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
Solbra /Diamondback kit update
« on: January 06, 2015, 09:04:40 AM »
I have always been impressed with the Solbra bodykit that was part of Wade Linger's LS conversion package and have been doing research on it since I saw my first one a few years ago at the Woodward Dream Cruise .Well yesterday I had the pleasure of talking to the designer of the kit Danny Whitfield and all I can say is what a class act this guy is! Let me start off by clearing up a misconception about the kit ,as we know Wade produced these kits  and stopped making them a few years ago and never sold the parts separately  although if you go on Danny's website he has the front end and rear end parts listed but once again he does not produce them .Wade was concerned about the quality and durability of the front end piece they are made of fiberglass (he has the mold) and the limited market for the kit per Danny so at some point he stopped producing them .I have read that there was a falling out or an issue as far as royalties on the design go , Danny assured me that it is not the case and he still does work for Wade.During our conversation I asked about the possibility of reproducing the kit again if there was enough interest and he told me that the next time he would talk to Wade he would bring this up . If anyone is interested you can go on Danny's website  dannywhitfield.com and see the kit ,the Diamondback Concept and some other great designs based on the Solstice just click on the Concept Renderings link. I will be talking to Danny next week and he asked me  to see if there is any interest in this kit and then go from there with Wade .At this point I'm asking anyone who may be interested to respond to my post and I'll pass this information on to Danny .

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
Re: Solbra /Diamondback kit update
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2015, 10:28:46 AM »
I'm very interested, I LOVE the Cobra front.  But, of course, it does depend on price.
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline 2kwk4u

• not really THAT quick
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
    • '06 Solstice bits and pieces photo gallery
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2015, 04:23:55 PM »
I want the hood at 1:00 in the video...  maybe with the center louvers toned down a bit, though (and I could do without the music... my wife was sure I was watching an '80's corno)

#t=60

Offline LatinVenom

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 05:44:31 PM »
Maybe Danny would be interested in having NORM reproduce the kit.
Wade hopefully would not object since he no longer produce them.
Just a thought.
Solstice GXP 2007.
Aggressive and fully loaded.
Mods: Magnaflow 2.5" exhaust, DDM Backbone & ProBeam,ZOK suspension,LV Kappa Front Chassis Brace, BTF Turbo Upgraded Wheel, Windristrictor, JPM Center console,arms,tulip,side doors,DDM Upgraded wheel tune.

Offline Sting Ya

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2015, 06:09:42 PM »
I brought up Norm's name in our conversation and Danny said he had heard of him ,one of the issues that Danny brought up was the quality and fit of the pieces , he did not know who produced them for Wade and as far as he knows Wade still has the mold .I have a couple of directions in mind to go with this and  at this point I getting as much information as I can and hopefully will try to contact Wade in the next few days . Chop Top turned me on to one of these cars for sale in New York but it did not have an LS conversion which I thought was part of the Solbra package . I'm going to try and contact the guy selling it and hopefully get some more information .The quest continues !

Offline normsf

• Vendor
  • Master Tech
  • Norms Fiberglass
    • Norms Fiberglass
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2015, 06:27:37 PM »
Hello Sting, thanks for thinking of me. Though I have no interest in building them as Im working on coming out with a new front end. Slowly I admit as its all I can do do get other projects we have going along with orders out. Thanks again Norm

Offline normsf

• Vendor
  • Master Tech
  • Norms Fiberglass
    • Norms Fiberglass
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2015, 06:34:57 PM »
I want the hood at 1:00 in the video...  maybe with the center louvers toned down a bit, though (and I could do without the music... my wife was sure I was watching an '80's corno)

80's corno that was what I was thinking too.

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2015, 07:20:27 PM »
I was talking to Wade a couple of years ago when I went up with Chuck Doc to pick up a GXP front end.  He was having a local pool company doing his glass work.   He said their shop was better equipped to do it than he was. 
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline 07Clone

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2015, 10:56:23 PM »
That's funny I was just looking at that picture earlier today would love to have that concept myself, count me in :drive: :drive:

Offline ChopTop

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2015, 12:06:03 PM »
Here's my fav for the 2.4 because separates the turn/driving lights but still retains the DNA of the Pontiac Solstice.
[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

But I've already committed to a GXP fascia conversion because I already bought a GXP fascia + Norms GXP splitter.

So Norm, could this new fascia be the SD 290 fascia??????

This splitter rocks on the 2.4. Post 1, sorry couldn't get it to embed.
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f11/solstice-sema-concept-rendering-3316/

« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 05:54:28 PM by ChopTop »

Offline DaveOC

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
  • Running Wisconsin
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2015, 12:32:37 PM »
Aggressive #000741

Offline Sting Ya

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2015, 12:35:01 PM »
That particular front end (white car ) was a one off when the car was in for a  Mallett Conversion  for Mike Jonas owner of Stainless Steel Brakes .It was done by a body shop in N.Y. Aero Collision along with the hood scoops from a RK Sport GTO hood grafted onto the stock hood ,a Razzi spoiler for a Dodge Intrepid and a rear valance with center outlet Corsa exhaust tips . I talked to Danny Whitfield last week and he led me to believe that Wade Linger is not interested in producing anymore Solbra body kits and from all the information I have the only way to get this kit was to purchase one of his LS conversions although he did some initially with  GXP's .At this point the only way to get something similar (Wade owns the rights to this design)  is to have Danny draw up a design at $800 a pop and then have someone like Norm reproduce it .Given the total initial cost I'm figuring a couple grand and the limited market for it I think it's dead in the water  :(

Offline ChopTop

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2015, 06:22:01 PM »

Thanks Dave  :thumbs:

I could see this splitter on the blue and white car.   :cool:

Offline Sting Ya

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2015, 08:05:46 PM »
I could see this splitter on my car in carbon fiber  :yay: mmmmmmmmmmmmmm?