Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Cold weather start growl - power steering pump TSB: Solved  (Read 8331 times)

Offline sirwm

• Tech
Re: Cold weather start growl - power steering pump TSB: Solved
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2015, 11:59:58 AM »
anybody know how much power steering fluid is needed for the replacement ?
wr

Offline sirwm

• Tech
wr

Offline DaveOC

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
  • Running Wisconsin
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2015, 12:12:37 PM »
I am curious if heat (90+) weather affects the winter blend.

Wisconsin gets bitterly cold, especially with windchills, but summer can bring very hot temps as well.
Generally I don't have an issue as I keep mine in the garage overnight, but the other day with windchills hitting -45 (parked at work) the pump screamed louder than it ever had.

Windchill has no effect on an engine which is at the same temperature as ambient:

http://www.carandtrucktips.com/article71/starting-in-cold-weather-does-wind-chill-have-an-affect

http://www.autos.ca/winter-driving/feature-does-the-wind-chill-affect-your-car/
Aggressive #000741

Offline Rockchops

• Master Tech
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2015, 10:15:11 AM »

Mine doesn't sound like that, but it does like to sound like a diesel engine when it starts up when it's very cold.

Speaking of...I should probably start the car since it's been "cold" out and I haven't started it in a few weeks.

That's actually pretty normal for direct injected engines. Last winter I was in a loaner 328i with the new turbo 4 for a while (long story) and those things literally sound like tractors when cold. I actually had to specifically check to make sure it wasn't a diesel before filling up for the first time. Closest far it sounds to is a 1.9 vw tdi! Ours aren't  that bad but I wouldn't worry about it.

Sent from an abacus

Offline POS VETT

• Master Tech
  • AINT YRS
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2015, 01:11:54 PM »
Nah, leave it alone if there is no plan to drive it for  a good distance. I'd make sure the fuel is topped off and the battery is hooked up to a float charger.

Offline ihawk95

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2015, 05:20:38 PM »
That's actually pretty normal for direct injected engines. Last winter I was in a loaner 328i with the new turbo 4 for a while (long story) and those things literally sound like tractors when cold. I actually had to specifically check to make sure it wasn't a diesel before filling up for the first time. Closest far it sounds to is a 1.9 vw tdi! Ours aren't  that bad but I wouldn't worry about it.

Sent from an abacus

I have the LE5 (NA) and not the LNF.  I didn't think the LE5 was DI, whereas the newer 2.4 L ecotech engine used in newer model GM products is DI. I may be mistaken though.  At any rate, it's done it since 2006 and it has had zero issues other than a bad exhaust side solenoid valve.  I'm not too worried about it and it doesn't last for more than some seconds.
Which again...I still haven't gone out to start the car.  The temp is supposed to drop again starting tonight so I suppose I better start it later!

Offline ihawk95

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2015, 05:22:59 PM »
Nah, leave it alone if there is no plan to drive it for  a good distance. I'd make sure the fuel is topped off and the battery is hooked up to a float charger.

And it's not hooked up to a trickle charger.  Never have had it hooked up and my first battery made it 8 years.  It seems to like being started every 3 weeks or so.  Maybe it won't like that I have it in a much nicer garage now than my snowy leaning tower of garage I had in IL.  At least it kinda kept the snow off it and it kinda kept the wind away from it.  Kinda...