Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Cold weather start growl - power steering pump TSB: Solved  (Read 8336 times)

Offline Rockchops

• Master Tech
Cold weather start growl - power steering pump TSB: Solved
« on: January 08, 2015, 09:15:06 AM »
Hey guys, I've noticed that under about 15 degrees my starter sticks for a second before the gear retracts. Today it was 5*F and it took about 2 seconds of grinding before the bendix disengaged which was pretty alarming. Before I burn out the motor, grind all the teeth down on the flywheel or some horrific combination, has anyone dealt with re-lubing a bendix gear for cold weather? I don't think it will see much more 5* weather (fingers crossed)..long story short my other two money pits are out of commission and I am trying my hardest to avoid blowing $200 on the sky.

Probably not much for you northern and midwesterners but around here in philly this is pretty frigid!

Sent from an abacus
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 12:35:49 PM by DeepBlueGXP, Reason: changed subject »

Offline Sting Ya

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
Re: Cold weather starter question
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 01:20:58 PM »
It's 0 here in Columbia Station the first thing I would do is check my battery because if it's the original it may be time for a replacement especially if the car is sitting outside or in an unheated garage .

Offline Rockchops

• Master Tech
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 02:42:44 PM »

It's 0 here in Columbia Station the first thing I would do is check my battery because if it's the original it may be time for a replacement especially if the car is sitting outside or in an unheated garage .

Battery is fine. The car isn't having any trouble starting, it's just the little gear that shoots out stays connected to the flywheel longer than it should before retracting.

Sent from an abacus

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 03:00:04 PM »
I have a similar issue on my G6, the dealer said it was nothing to worry about.  I'm not sure I believe them but I also haven't done anything to fix it myself.  I've had the car for 4 years now I haven't had any issues other than a noise for a short time when I start it and it's cold out, so who knows.

It was -4 last night when I left work, global warming I'm all for it!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 04:30:51 PM by Sol Asylum »
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Rockchops

• Master Tech
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 03:31:09 PM »

I have a similar issue on my G6, the dealer said it was nothing to worry about.  I'm not sure I believe them but I also haven't done anything to fix it myself.  I've had the car for 4 years now I haven't had any issues other than a noise for a short time when I start it and it's cold out,so who knows.

It was -4 last night when I left work, global warming I'm all for it!

Good to know, thanks sol. Hopefully that was our coldest night here.

Naturally out of my own carelessness I flooded the engine on my rx8 last night, looks like I'll be taking the sky to work until the next warm front!

Sent from an abacus

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2015, 05:50:18 PM »
Our cars make a horrible noise from the power steering pump also when it's really cold out.  You're sure it's the starter?

Offline ChopTop

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2015, 06:36:20 PM »
My Jeep started a little wonkey this AM, windchill showed -15 below.  Tonights predicted to be -20 wind chill.  I plan on putting the charger on tonight just to be safe.

Offline Rockchops

• Master Tech
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2015, 08:04:56 PM »

Our cars make a horrible noise from the power steering pump also when it's really cold out.  You're sure it's the starter?

I suppose it may not be the starter but it seems like it is coming from the trans tunnel and sure sounds like the gears grinding together. I'll see if I can get a video of it tomorrow morning.

Sent from an abacus

Offline tazz

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2015, 10:11:05 PM »
If it only happens when its lower than 18* its the power steering pump.  GM has a TSB out on the issue and they put in a low temp power steeering fluid that pretty much eliminates the noise.  Dealer did this to my vehilce years ago and it worked but then my car was involved in a front end accident and they put the original fluid in and just never had it changed out to the low temp stuff.  At first I thought it was the Turbo since it sounds like a turbo with a bad bearing in it but its not.  Sounds like a shop vac that you plug the hose a horrible loud sound. 

Offline Rockchops

• Master Tech
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2015, 11:07:08 PM »

If it only happens when its lower than 18* its the power steering pump.  GM has a TSB out on the issue and they put in a low temp power steeering fluid that pretty much eliminates the noise.  Dealer did this to my vehilce years ago and it worked but then my car was involved in a front end accident and they put the original fluid in and just never had it changed out to the low temp stuff.  At first I thought it was the Turbo since it sounds like a turbo with a bad bearing in it but its not.  Sounds like a shop vac that you plug the hose a horrible loud sound.

This sounds more like a blender, but it is at start and below 18*F almost exactly. doibg some more research it does fit the bill from all the descriptions online. Good to know I'm not the only one who is experiencing this...it's a hell of a noise though, others report no wear but I'm not so optimistic. Anyways thanks for the help guys!

Sent from an abacus

Offline tazz

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2015, 11:49:35 PM »
Blender is more like it your right!!!!  and its an accurate as a thermometer will not do it on my car until 17*-18* or below.  Funny during the winter I actually use it like a thermometer in that if it makes the noise I know its lower than 17* LOL.

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2015, 06:50:54 AM »
Tazz, I didn't know about the TSB.  Do you have the fluid part number or TSB to post.  I need to do this to both of my Solstices

Offline Rockchops

• Master Tech
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2015, 09:03:17 AM »

Here's the video I took this morning. It was a toasty 23*F so I'm surprised it did it...you can hear it though is much shorter than usual. It was about 12*F when I went to bed last night so the fluid may still have been colder than the air temp.

Sent from an abacus

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2015, 09:52:41 AM »
Yeah, that's not the starter.  ^^ What tazz said (mine does this too).
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline Rockchops

• Master Tech
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2015, 10:47:12 AM »
Well I'll be damned, I never would have guessed the power steering pump! You guys rock

Sent from an abacus

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2015, 07:35:39 PM »
Mine does the same thing when it's f'n cold out

Offline 2kwk4u

• not really THAT quick
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
    • '06 Solstice bits and pieces photo gallery
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2015, 10:20:04 PM »
Mine did that for the first time (or at least first time I ever noticed) yesterday afternoon when I left from work... timely post.  I wonder if low temp PS fluid is less of a good idea for those of us who autocross in the summertime...

Offline tazz

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2015, 10:30:55 PM »
Ill see if I can find it or call the dealer tomorrow to ask them.

Offline tazz

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2015, 10:33:44 PM »
GM cold climate power steering fluid #12345867

Subject: Whine or Growl Noise from Power Steering Pump (Change Power Steering Fluid to Cold Climate Power Steering Fluid)

Models: 2006-2009 Pontiac Solstice
2007-2009 Saturn SKY
2007-2009 Opel GT
2007-2008 Daewoo G2X

Condition
Some customers may comment about a whine or growl noise from the engine compartment for a few seconds after starting their vehicle at low ambient temperatures (approximately -12°C (10°F) and lower).

Cause
In cold ambient temperatures, the power steering fluid thickens. The thickened oil may cause the pump to be noisy during cold start-up.

Correction
Important: DO NOT replace the power steering pump for this concern.

Change the power steering fluid to cold climate power steering fluid. Refer to Power Steering System Flushing and Power Steering System Bleeding in SI.

Parts Information
Part Number / Description / Qty

12345866 (in Canada, 10953484) / Cold Climate Power Steering Fluid - 0.5L (16 oz) / 8

12345867 (in Canada, 10953471) / Cold Climate Power Steering - 1.0L (32 oz) / 4

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 10:39:55 PM by tazz »

Offline 2kwk4u

• not really THAT quick
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
    • '06 Solstice bits and pieces photo gallery
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2015, 10:23:55 AM »
The disclaimers on these crack me up.  I fixed the verbiage below

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Sometimes you can find properly trained technicians who have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

Offline tazz

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2015, 10:31:12 AM »
Lol

Offline tazz

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
Re: Cold weather start growl - power steering pump TSB: Solved
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2015, 01:00:07 AM »
Wonder if its a Synthetic or blend of some sort so it can flow at lower temps.

Offline MomsSol

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2015, 10:16:00 AM »
Wonder if its a Synthetic or blend of some sort so it can flow at lower temps.

I am curious if heat (90+) weather affects the winter blend.

Wisconsin gets bitterly cold, especially with windchills, but summer can bring very hot temps as well.
Generally I don't have an issue as I keep mine in the garage overnight, but the other day with windchills hitting -45 (parked at work) the pump screamed louder than it ever had.
Just here to help a friend! :thumbs:
True Lady Gearhead :)
We'll Miss You PONTIAC! :cryin:

Offline sirwm

• Tech
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2015, 11:56:15 AM »
wow , I have the same problem on my coupe.  Thanks people !  ( Thanks for the the video too.  :D )
wr

Offline ihawk95

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2015, 11:56:39 AM »
Mine doesn't sound like that, but it does like to sound like a diesel engine when it starts up when it's very cold.

Speaking of...I should probably start the car since it's been "cold" out and I haven't started it in a few weeks.