Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Boost Leak  (Read 529 times)

Offline Jim

• Lifetime Supporting
  • Master Tech
Boost Leak
« on: January 20, 2015, 01:26:01 PM »
I figured it was just me getting used to the power of the WR3 setup since I've had it installed now for over 8 months....

I haven't logged a run in quite a while as it has been running well and I don't feel like messing with it but yesterday on my way home the DIC showed only 23psi and for the past several months, I've been running 26.5psi which pegs the DIC at 25.

Hooked up the VCM scanner for the trip to work this morning and confirmed that I am maxing out at 23.4psi so I ran the boost leak test and immediately found the culprit. The threaded hole to the left of the 3 bar sensor.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

I don't remember if I installed a fastener in this threaded hole or not when I installed the upgraded charge tubes and 3 bar sensors but it was the source of the leak. I installed a 10-32 x 1/2" screw with blue loctite in it and tested the system to 30psi with no leak now so I'll run a log on the way home to make sure I'm back to my tuned 26.5psi.

Just thought I'd post this as a heads up. There is no hole in the CAC pipe under the threaded hole here so the pressure must be weeping under the boss from the 3 bar sensor or the meth injector switch.
The road to success is always under construction.

Offline roxer

• Supporting Member
  • Master Tech
Re: Boost Leak
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 02:14:58 PM »
Are those the stock pipes or?  I wondered if that was open or not on my DDM pipes.  The GM geek kept the retainer screw of the old sensor and its sitting open...
2002 Isuzu Rodeo Sport - Still kicking!
2008 Polar Sky Redline - Auto - Fully Loaded
2007 Mysterious Solstice GXP - Current list of Mods

Offline Jim

• Lifetime Supporting
  • Master Tech
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 02:23:17 PM »
Mine are DDM pipes as well. The old retainer screw would be too long to use if you're running the 3 bar sensors though.

In my opinion, it's a good idea to put a screw with some reusable loctite in it for added insurance against this type of leak.

Offline Jim

• Lifetime Supporting
  • Master Tech
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 05:03:09 PM »
Coincidentally this was not the total fix to my boost problem....

Turns out my wastegate adjustment was slightly loose and I have a slight leak at the gasket where the downpipe attaches to the turbine housing. I adjusted the wastegate and now have my boost back to where it is supposed to be but I need to replace that gasket and will have to order it as I have nothing local. It's almost 70* out now and supposed to snow tomorrow so I'll get the gasket ordered and park it for a few days.

I would like to replace the elbow that connects the charge pipe to the throttle body but the one on DDM's site says it is only compatible with the stock and Dejon intakes only. What's the intake got to do with the throttle body elbow? I'll send Dave a message and ask. Could be a copy and paste error on their site.