Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: DDM Happy Meal  (Read 5031 times)

Offline Johnny_gxp

• Quick Shifter
  • Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
DDM Happy Meal
« on: February 02, 2015, 08:36:34 PM »
Quick Question. I am finally about to purchase the stock clutch assembly and flywheel for my car. With that being said, this summer I plan on purchasing DDM's "Happy Meal". I should be making 360-375whp. Will the stock clutch hold up to that? If not what should I purchase for a reasonable price? I thought about the DDM clutch/Flywheel combo as well. But $4000 to spend in one sitting is a little too high for me at the moment. Any input would do! Thank You!
Aggressive '08 Solstice GXP

Offline Helios

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Play Hard; Drive Harder!
Re: DDM Happy Meal
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 08:50:42 AM »
It can depend on how you drive. The OEM clutch held for a few folks that went FI. I'd say you can't beat on it like I did. My OEM clutch didn't last long after I installed DDM's stage 2 SC.
"Gwyneth"
V8 swap in progress
RPi GT/ SOLO Exhaust

Offline Johnny_gxp

• Quick Shifter
  • Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 10:05:16 AM »
Well. I need a clutch. I'll probably just get the OEM clutch and resurface my current flywheel. Then when the time comes where I'm slipping horribly under power I'll just get the DDM kit. No harm no foul at that point. Besides. I got an entire clutch assembly for $85. So it's no sweat. Thank you for your input Helios!

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 12:05:19 PM »
You might check the cost to resurface a LNF flywheel, I think in the past it has been more cost effective to just replace it.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 12:50:33 PM »
Clutch depends on the amount of torque and how is delivered and most important how the car is used ;)

I was one of the stock clutch killers with over 200 runs at the strip, spiking over 400tq on the stock turbo and about 450tq with a little bit of juice, it started to slip only on spraying in the 3rd gear, it was still ok on the streets for normal driving and I decided to replace it when I was around 17k miles with Spec 3+ and their light flywheel, was ok but not as smooth as stock one.

Since I lowered my tq and I don't have tq spikes (doing more hp) now I'm going to replace again the clutch and flywheel with stock ones.
Dragula  ;) Opel GT  from Romania
Arabas: take fotos, videos and keep all girls locked inside the house. Kelu's charm is irresistible !!!!

Offline Johnny_gxp

• Quick Shifter
  • Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2015, 02:01:27 PM »
I plan on just having some road fun with the upgrade. Just casual driving. Every now and again put a mustang in it's place. Ya know normal fun driving. So I think I'll be okay with the stock clutch and flywheel. Besides I'll only be making 360whp tops because I refuse to get rid of my stock cat.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 09:46:46 AM by Johnny_gxp »

Offline Wartie

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2015, 07:54:46 AM »
My stock clutch has held up fine for about 8,000 miles with the "Happy Meal". But I only drive down hill to the drug store. (I beat you to it SA)  :devil:

Offline Johnny_gxp

• Quick Shifter
  • Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2015, 09:49:20 AM »
Found a guy on eBay selling OEM flywheels. He wanted $190 but took my $165 offer so there you go guys! Flywheels for $165! I also found another guy selling whole clutches too. Pressure plate and all for $85. So igot the whole thing for $250. Couldnt be happier. GM sites want $380-500.

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2015, 12:59:47 PM »
Besides I'll only be making 360whp tops
Stop thinking to hp when is about clutch, with 400tq I was doing 310hp, with 450tq I was doing 340hp, now with 370tq I do 400hp.

Found a guy on eBay selling OEM flywheels. He wanted $190 but took my $165 offer so there you go guys! Flywheels for $165! I also found another guy selling whole clutches too. Pressure plate and all for $85. So igot the whole thing for $250. Couldnt be happier. GM sites want $380-500.
Can you not make such a buzz? Especially for those who just bought brand new one for the normal price???
Dragula  ;) Opel GT  from Romania
Arabas: take fotos, videos and keep all girls locked inside the house. Kelu's charm is irresistible !!!!

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2015, 02:15:05 PM »
My stock clutch has held up fine for about 8,000 miles with the "Happy Meal". But I only drive down hill to the drug store. (I beat you to it SA)  :devil:

Don't you have to eventually drive back up that hill to get home?  I mean maybe I am wrong, we don't have hills where I live so no real experience there.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Wartie

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2015, 08:05:39 AM »
Don't you have to eventually drive back up that hill to get home?  I mean maybe I am wrong, we don't have hills where I live so no real experience there.

No just a downward spiral!!!

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2015, 02:09:59 PM »
Makes up for all those years as a kid having to walk to school up hill, in a snow storm.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Robotech

• Master Tech
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2015, 08:29:37 PM »
It can depend on how you drive. The OEM clutch held for a few folks that went FI. I'd say you can't beat on it like I did. My OEM clutch didn't last long after I installed DDM's stage 2 SC.

Helios, did your car start out NA or turbo? I'm assuming NA since you're talking about running DDM's Supercharger. My understanding is that the stock NA clutches are not as robust as the stock Turbo clutches. About what kind of power did you put down with the stage 2 SC that fried your stock clutch? Trying to figure out what Torque numbers are good for me with a turbo build on the stock clutch (for now...)

Offline Helios

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Play Hard; Drive Harder!
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2015, 09:41:59 AM »
Helios, did your car start out NA or turbo? I'm assuming NA since you're talking about running DDM's Supercharger. My understanding is that the stock NA clutches are not as robust as the stock Turbo clutches. About what kind of power did you put down with the stage 2 SC that fried your stock clutch? Trying to figure out what Torque numbers are good for me with a turbo build on the stock clutch (for now...)

Yes, it started out as an NA.  Stage II was rated at 235HP and 245ft/lbs of torque at the wheels. I didn't dyno it to confirm those numbers. I do know that I was pretty hard on the clutch downshifting from 5th to 3rd quite often.
"Gwyneth"
V8 swap in progress
RPi GT/ SOLO Exhaust