Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Chase the Sun Run - May 9, 2015 So Cal  (Read 3200 times)

Offline Robotech

• Master Tech
Chase the Sun Run - May 9, 2015 So Cal
« on: February 10, 2015, 07:46:23 PM »

The date is set:
Saturday, May 9th, 2015
Official Web Site

Itinerary (subject to change):

Start at sunrise at Salton Sea: 5:15 AM
Meet at the south end of Ave. E on the shore of the Salton Sea (Dirt parking for about 10-15 cars).
Depart: 5:45 AM.

Drive to Brownie’s Dinner in Brawley, CA: 6:30 AM
990 Main Street, Brawley, CA 92227
Apx 30 miles from Bombay Beach.

Parking for 15+ cars and plenty of seating.
Gas station available immediately across the street.  (8 pumps available)
Depart: 8:30 AM.

Highly suggest everyone fill their gas tanks here.   All fuel readings will be based on having a full tank at this point.

Salton City Checkpoint 9:10 AM
36 miles from Brownie’s.
Stop on State Route 22 just past corner gas station.

This is the corner of State Highway 86 and State Route 22/S. Marina Dr.
This will serve as a meet-up point for those wanting to start the run later in the morning.
We will be dividing the group, if necessary, so that spirited drivers are up front and less aggressive drivers on in the rear here.
Depart  9:25 AM.

NOTE: State Route 22 is VERY bumpy for first 2 miles. Maximum speed apx 40 mph will be observed. It is rough for apx the next 3 miles and maximum speed will be 50 mph.  After that we will be following posted speed limits.

The view in this area is incredible. It feels like you're off roading in the desert but we're on the pavement. On both sides of the road are ravines and chasms where folks are driving off road feet from the pavement. Great photo opportunities here for the navigators.

Borrego Springs Arrive/Depart:  10:10 AM
14 miles from Salton City Checkpoint.
Fuel just above 7/8ths

We are only stopping here just outside of town to gather up the group before heading into the hills.  The run up the mountain from Borrego Springs is a technical section with great views of the desert behind us.  There is a bit of a break before we hit another technical section on Hwy 78 before we get into Julian.

Julian Checkpoint Arrive/Depart:  11:15 AM
56 miles from Borrego Springs
Fuel just above 5/8ths

The drive from Borrego Springs up to State Route 2 is very technical and while we shouldn’t get vehicles in between cars, the group may get spread out. We will pause on State Route 22 in the long straight section before it dead ends into State Route 2 in order to gather up the group.  If we feel we need to reshuffle the slow and fast groups, we will do it here. 

State Route 2 is a fairly leisurely drive but after we turn on Highway 76, we see another very technical section of road so we will stay in our fast/slow groups if applicable. Just before we enter Julian we will be stopping at the Julian Library parking lot to regroup.  For those planning on joining the group, do not do it in Julian, plan on doing it at Round Up BBQ for lunch.

We will get separated again moving through Julian and when we turn left at the stop sign to continue on Hwy 79 down to Santa Ysabel and Dudley’s Bakery.

Santa Ysabel: Arrive/Depart: 11:30 AM
7 Miles from Julian

This will just be a quick regroup.

Round Up BBQ:  11:45 AM
11 miles from San Ysabel. This is our Lunch stop. Huge parking lot and will try out the food sometime soon.  This will be a good break as the next section is the most challenging of the trip and having a bit of a rest after the Borrego and Julian sections will help recharge our drivers before they get another workout. 

Depart: 1:45 PM

This section of the drive will be up and over Palomar Mountain. There are some great views during the drive immediately after we turn off Hwy 76 onto State Route 7 (East Gate Road). We will turn onto State Route 6 (South Gate Road) to come back down the mountain.  There are some great mountain views as we come back down SR 6. Navigators have your cameras ready for this leg. Important Note: South Gate Road is very twisty and down hill.  We will be taking it easy down this road to preserve those who have stock break equipment. I drove this route mildly spirited and had no brakes two or three turns from the bottom of the hill.  This is the most challenging section of the drive.

Gas and Meetup Point at Highway 76 and Interstate 15: 2:55 PM
This will be a quick gas up for those who need it and a join up spot for those that do not want to do the first half of the run.  This will be our last gas stop before hitting Dana Point.

Depart: 3:15 PM

This section of the run will take us through the De Luz loop and the Santa Rosa Plateau. The Plateau is one of the last remaining areas of Oak Woodland in Southern California. Most of Southern California was once this Oak Woodland. The scenery is very beautiful and the drive calm and pleasant. While De Luz is tight and technical, the Plateau and Lake Elsinore area are open and gentle giving a good wind down from De Luz before we hit Ortega. The drive through Fallbrook will be another boring section but will probably come as a welcome break between Mt. Palomar and De Luz.

Meetup Point at S. Spring Street and Lakeshore Drive in Lake Elsinore, CA: 4:45 PM
This is a chance to gather the group together. Photo opportunity with the lake and mountains as a backdrop.

Depart: 5:15 PM

Base of Ortega Highway Meetup: 5:30 PM
This is just a quick 10 minute stop to gather the group together before heading over Ortega since we will probably become separated in Elsinore.

This is the Ortega Hwy leg of the run. Great views going up from the lake side of the mountain. Good photo and video ops for Navigators.

Depart: 5:45 PM

Ortega has some great views overlooking Lake Elsinore as it twists up the mountain.  Navigators will once again have some great views out their side of the cars in the early section of this leg. Then Ortega goes into the woods and the turns get a little tamer for a while as it cuts through the National Forest. It drops down into Orange county and once out of the mountains the rest of the route is straight roads and cruising. We'll pass in front of the Mission San Juan Capistrano but there is not much to see here, sadly.

Arrive for sunset and photo opportunity at Dana Point: 6:45 PM

Sunset is supposed to be at 7:41 PM.
Dinner at Wind and Sea: 8:00 PM

Map has been updated 1/19/2015.  This is a pretty finalized route. I may make a couple more test runs on the De Luz and Elsinore sections of the run just to get some better times but This should be pretty spot on.
Chase the Sun Run Route Map

This is not for the faint of heart. Over 270 miles. More than 6 hours of driving. A 13+ hour day.

The plan is to start in the desert at Bombay Beach at the Salton Sea. This is virtually a ghost town resort from the 1960s with a few residents remaining. We'll start here just before Sunrise.  As the sun comes up, it will provide a unique picture opportunity as the sun rises over the desert. We'll stop in Brawley for breakfast. (For those wishing to stage the night before, there is also a Best Western Plus here.  Probably be where I will stay.) Before or after breakfast (depending on time) we will stop and get gas.

From here, we'll be traveling up into the mountains. Part of the route is a highway once named one of the 10 must drive roads in the U.S. by Car and Driver. We'll be stopping in Julian, famous for it's apples but out of season by this time to rest and grab something to eat in Santa Ysabel at the famous Dudley's Bakery if folks are hungry.  If not, we'll grab something in Fallbrook.  There is a nice Irish pub there we can stop at. We'll fuel up in Fallbrook too as our next gas stop won't be until we hit Lake Elsinore. 

Then we'll move on down the mountain to Fallbrook and a drive where the scenery resembles a Thomas Kinkaid painting. A nice twisty road where the sun filters through the trees next to quaint country homes. This will take us to the famous Ortega Highway by Lake Elsinore.

Finally we'll end up in Orange County and Dana Point.  We may stop at the famous Mission San Juan Capistrano on the way as we will be driving right by it.  We'll have dinner, possibly at Wind and Sea restaurant right on the harbor, and find a scenic spot by the beach to take a pictures of our cars as the sun sets over the ocean.

We will plan places and times where people can come and join or leave the ride since it will be a very long ride and not everyone will want to make the whole ride.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 08:22:42 AM by DeepBlueGXP »

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
Re: Chase the Sun Run - May 9, 2015 So Cal
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 02:39:09 AM »
What if you no longer have a kappa? Can you chase along in Something  else?
Make the right choices now

Offline Robotech

• Master Tech
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 02:43:12 AM »
Hmmmm...don't see why not. What are you driving these days Jack? I'm getting a Vette vibe.

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 12:01:53 PM »
He's got a Pontiac Vibe wanabe.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 09:48:31 PM »
My little Korean masterpiece can keep up with any Kappa that abides by the speed limit.
Make the right choices now

Offline Robotech

• Master Tech
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2015, 02:13:17 PM »
LOL A Vibe wanna be? Can't be any worse than what I saw at a Scion dealership recently.

They had a Vibe with a Toyota logo on the trunk.  No, I know that Toyota had a version of the car but this was a Pontiac Vibe...still had the Pontiac name badge and Vibe name badge on the hatch...but in the center of the hatch was a big Toyota emblem.  I had to laugh...and yes, it was for sale. :Shakes head:

But yes, would be great to have you along. Currently we don't have many sign ups but I hope that will change as the date draws near.

Offline Robotech

• Master Tech
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2015, 01:25:25 AM »
Went out today and scouted out Round Up BBQ. I swear the things I put myself through for you folks.  Horrible day driving with the top down on a beautifully clear SoCal day with the temps in the low 80s...simply torture. And then had to have some great BBQ. My son had their short ribs and I had a Beef Brisket Sandwich. Both were great. Their BBQ beans were terrific and the baked potatoes salad with bacon was pretty good too.  Prices are fair and portions are very large. My son ordered a 1/3 rack of ribs, the smallest portion they offer, and still came home with leftovers.

The view here is great, this is what you see out the large front windows of the establishment as you enjoy some great BBQ:

And we have ample parking. I walked out about half way into the parking lot to take this picture back towards Round Up.

Just over a month left to sign up before the run. Trying to get some numbers so I can let these places know about how many people to expect. These places can get pretty busy on the weekends and with this being Mother's Day weekend we may have more folks than usual so please...check out the sign-up page and register today. There is no charge to register.

Chase the Sun Run 2015

Offline Robotech

• Master Tech
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2015, 01:59:51 AM »
The date is almost here folks.

For those that plan on going and meeting the group at one of the checkpoints, please be sure to like our Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/kappachasethesunrun?fref=ts&ref=br_tf

I will be posting there each time we reach and depart a checkpoint so you can keep track of where the group is on the drive.

I also made a Chase the Sun Run Route Guide that details the 9 major legs of the route with maps and directions. Please download and print this guide for the ride before you come out. Here is the link to the guide:

http://www.b17queenofthesky.com/Sky/CtSR2015/ws/route_pack3.pdf

Hope to see a number of you on the 9th!